DT Swiss 240 hub question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DT Swiss 240 hub question

I realize this is not 29er specific, but I figure someone here might know. I have the 9spd 240 rear hub with standard QR. I need to make it bolt on for my new frame. The QBP part description lists a 240 singlespeed bolt on conversion, but there is not mention of the regular 9spd hub. DT Swiss tech support guy is outta the office for 2 days. Anybody have experience with this?

Former Bike Wrench
    DT Item No. HWGXXX0001803S are end caps to convert the rear 240 from quick release to 10mm thru bolt.

You can then use a 10mm through bolt

mtbr member
    Ive seen that kit. I know it will work way better than a standard qr setup, but I'd still prefer the bolt on ends. I'm trying to figure out if the bolt-on kit that DT sells for their ss 240 hub is compatible with the regular 9spd 240 hub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You need to determine what they bolt into. It looks like it is just an end cap conversion. If it is an axle conversion then it is not compatible as the different width hub shells results in different axles because the bearing locations are different.

Stayin' Puft
    Quote Originally Posted by shagokeefe
    Ive seen that kit. I know it will work way better than a standard qr setup, but I'd still prefer the bolt on ends. I'm trying to figure out if the bolt-on kit that DT sells for their ss 240 hub is compatible with the regular 9spd 240 hub.
    You would need a threaded axle to accept the bolts. I sorta doubt they make a threaded axle for the 9speed, my 9-speed axle is not threaded. The spacing on the SS and 9-speed axles will be different where the bearing stops are, due to the difference in hub shell width. There is only one part number for the SS axle, so they must put the same axle in the Bolt-on and QR versions of the SS hub. So when you buy the kit, I would think it is just endcaps and bolts that leverage the threads already included in the SS axle. Lotsa part detail here if you haven't run across this:
    https://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/99a9c...Datasheet.aspx

FWIW I used the 9speed as a SS hub for a while last year on a frame with track ends, running the 10mm Hadley thru-bolt for awhile and then later upgrading to the DT RWS skewer. I had no slippage issues, but I would recommend the RWS since it has teeth on the outer edges to bite into the track ends. Quite a good solution.

I can understand you wanting the bolts, they are really nice and very solid and confidence-inspiring. You have to have a threaded axle though, can't just thread into the endcap because the endcaps pull out with just a little grip and force.

mtbr member
    The threaded axle was the part I was having trouble with. But if you have been running that setup with the RWS I'll go with that. That was my backup plan in the event bolt on was impossible... good to hear it works well for what I need. Thanks to all for the input/ help.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by shagokeefe
    The threaded axle was the part I was having trouble with. But if you have been running that setup with the RWS I'll go with that. That was my backup plan in the event bolt on was impossible... good to hear it works well for what I need. Thanks to all for the input/ help.
    The RWS thru axle might work, but I have the RWS skewer and it couldn't prevent my wheel from slipping w/o a chain tug.

mtbr member
    The KIT for 240 SS doesn't work with the standard hub cause the internal space between bearings are different.

I'va a 240 and 340 DT rear hubs both with RWS 10mm and is very stiff and close hard, IMHO better than 10mm bolts that I've used in the past with a Hope hub.

mtbr member
    Sorry if this is a threadjack, but there seems to be some good knowledge assembled here.

Does anyone know if Conversion Kit 240s Oversize 15mm TA (HWAXXX00S2143S) will work with Bonty OEM hubs for RXL wheels. Mine are from 2008.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    pittzer,

I doubt it, the kit you referenced is for 240 oversized front hub. I'm pretty sure bonty used a standard 240 style hub.

Standard 240s can't be changed to 15mm, etc.. only 9mm.

240 oversized, that come in 20mm can be anything, standard qr, 9mm qr, 15mm qr

mtbr member
    As I suspected. Thanks, VTC.

Members who have read this thread: 0