Driving myself crazy trying to chose a bike !!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Driving myself crazy trying to chose a bike !!!!

Sup all, I'm hoping to get some sound advice from some of you who have been in my shoes and don't want to make a decision you regret.

After already making the mistake last year of buying a hybrid bike I now realize that I should have bought a HT 29er. So the search has begun.

From other hobbies I have had in the past ( guitars, drums, bowling, golf )
    I know that " beginner" anything will lead me to looking forward to the next few steps up very soon after my first purchase . So I guess what I am trying to do is save myself from myself with my first purchase.

First off my price range is $1200 to $1500 MAX...
    I am willing to buy cheeper and make the necessary upgrades as time goes on. But here is where I am driving myself nuts.

I am looking for a frame that is worthy of upgrades if it is in the cheeper price range, say 800ish. However after renting a felt 9 eighty and riding it on light trails and some really steep mountain riding I would like the bike to be as light as possible . I know cutting weight on the bike can be very expensive as I can upgrade parts to bring the weight down.

But I'm having trouble on where to start. These are the bikes that have peeked my interest so far and my reasons . But I have questions on each one.

First is the DB overdrive pro from jenson usa
    Diamondback Overdrive Pro 29er Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Cross-Country Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop - Mobile
    The forks on this bike had me interested from the start at the price. The reviews of the frame and crank have me worried this would not be a great choice. Any thoughts on this bike. It seems to be kind of heavy from what others have mentioned.

Next was the felt 9 eighty that I rented
    Felt Bicycles | Nine 80
    This bike had a nice ride but I felt a bit cramped and might not have been a great fit.
    One of my big questions was , is a frame like this worth upgrading and are all the frames on bikes in thi price range in the same kind of category as far as weight ?

Another bike that has me interested is the jamis exile comp 2012
    Jamis Exile Comp Mountain Bike 2012 > Complete Bikes > Cross-Country Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop - Mobile
    Any thoughts on the S frame? Seems to be a good price....

And the other I have some interest in is the new 2014 cannondale trail 5 29er. I can't seem to find any info on this bike but I can get it for $750 and liked the frame and paint. Would love to know if this frame is worth the upgrades such as fox fork, hydraulic brakes, wheel upgrades.

Any help would be very very appreciated . I'm tired of the LBS telling me that the components on all bikes are pretty good and the sun tour forks are fine.
    I rode a friends bike with fox forks and hydraulic breaks and loved it.

Please help !!!!
    I am starting to make trips and find trails with my wife and kids to parts of NY and NJ and want a bad a$$ bike for the money.
    Thank you in advance and I hope this makes some sort of sense to some of you all.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was in your shoes just recently and ended up going with a Airborne Seeker. I have over 50 miles on it already and I absolutely love it.

I also bought my wife a DB Overdrive 29er expert last weekend and it's a sweet looking rig. She put aboit 14 miles on it Last monday and is in love!

If I were you I would look at the Airborne Goblin long and hard. $1199 plus shipping plus assembly if need be and you have an absolute rider. Best bang for the buck and WAY bettter than anything else in that range!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok...here's my story, maybe this will help.

2 Years ago I was in your same shoes and I ended up going with a Trek 3700 disc 26r. Paid like $600.00 for it saying to myself "I'll just upgrade it" as time goes by. Well, eventually my upgraded Trek became more expensive then a comporable 2013 Model with the same componets.

Soooo.....6 months ago (1,000miles) I bought a Scott Scale 960 29er @ $1400.00 and couldn't be happier. So my upgraded Trek? It sits in the garage gathering dust.

So my advice is if you KNOW your gonna "upgrade" it, save a few more months and pay a little more for what you WANT, don't go buy something for what you want it to BECOME.

I'd suggest a Scott Scale 960, it's a GREAT Bike...I beat it up weekely racing Novice, gravel grinders and as a comute bike to work.

Or, if you like big name brands with lesser equipment, go get a "Splish".

BTW...mtbr gave it a 5/5.

Scott Scale 960 29er Hardtail Reviews - Mtbr.com

I ride bikes
    Here are a couple used 29ers in your area that you might be interested in. Not sure what size you are.

mt bike. specialized rockhopper (29er)
    Giant XTC 29ER With extras
    FOCUS BLACK FOREST 2.0 2012 29er Mountain Bike Hardtail
    Giant Talon 29er 1 w/ extras - Barely used
    2012 Cannondale Lefty Flash 29er XL

Also check out this noob guide to buying a used bike if that is the route you take.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-cor...tb-866073.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Scott Scale 950 should be discounted to your range at this time of year. It has the slack head tube geo Nino Schurter is using to win the World XC title again(carbon frame) and a lower weight than the other aluminum bikes in your budget range.
    When you test ride go on grass and in ditches if you can't get it on trail.
    Also keep an eye out for a 2012 Scott Scale Elite as a used option with the dual air Reba fork.

unrooted
    Are you capable of performing your own maintenance and upgrades? If not you should buy from a bike shop.

I wouldn't recommend any of the bikes you listed. Have you looked the Jamis Dakota D29 comp? It retails for $1750, but you should be able to find it for $1500. Rock shox is making really good forks right now.

If you can step it up to $2k I think you'll get everything your looking for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You can get a great bike in that price range. I would say get something with a minimum of a Recon Gold or Reba, or maybe even a Fox fork. Scott Scale 950 is a sweet looking bike. I recently had that much to spend and bought 2 bikes on clearance which were 60% off from Jenson. They put their bikes together well, and seem to be very customer service oriented. But Bike shops certainly have their perks. You could probably get a 13' Carve for like 1300-1400. Jenson has a Dragon Sport with X-7 and a Manitou Tower fork for $800 for 15-19, and like $920 for the 21. That's a nice bike for that price imo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Another vote for the Scott Scale. I have the 970 but have upgraded the Suntour XCR fork to a Rockshox Reba. The 960 has the XC 32 or if you can find a 950 in your price range it has a Fox fork and great specs. If you get the 960 it is a great bike and a frame worthy of upgrading as parts break and wear out. 2013 bike of the year in mbr.com. with a great review:

Scott Scale 960 mountain bike review | MBR

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    These are great responses so far. The more you guys respond with past experiences and your knowledge , the more I have confidence in my searches. Also would like to throw in that if possible I would love to find a all flat black frame with as little graphics as possible .

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GATroutBum View Post
    I was in your shoes just recently and ended up going with a Airborne Seeker. I have over 50 miles on it already and I absolutely love it.

I also bought my wife a DB Overdrive 29er expert last weekend and it's a sweet looking rig. She put aboit 14 miles on it Last monday and is in love!

If I were you I would look at the Airborne Goblin long and hard. $1199 plus shipping plus assembly if need be and you have an absolute rider. Best bang for the buck and WAY bettter than anything else in that range!
    I gotta vouch for Airborne Seeker as well. Sick ride!
    Last edited by Max24; 03-02-2015 at 07:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm in the same boat, but you can scratch the DB off Jensen only has Small frames left.