Dreaming about my next bike- Mtbr.com
    Chilling out

Dreaming about my next bike

Still thinking about how to replace my recently deceased MCR 9.

Daydreaming mostly as I just don't have the moolaah to put into the project yet.

Finding myself really super-bumming about it though, even though a friend has loaned me a frameset that I have built up as a singlespeed, it's just not the same fun factor and not putting the smile on my face.

So, I'm dreaming about what would be the good "main" bike for me, something that is going to be seeing a solid amount of miles annually - when on my game I'm riding 5-8 times a week (closing on 100 miles a week) off road. The only bike (frame) I've had hold up to me in the long run is my dear Titus Quasi-Moto. Mega burly. Efficient 6" travel frameset. She's currently happy having turned to DH duties though and not really interested in going uphill any more.

For my next "main" bike it's going to be a 29er (waving at Cody and Charles in Austin) the real question is what frame and whether HT or FS. This was to be a 2013 project, on the 10th anniversary of my Titus, but the MCR going away has accelerated things.

For a HT, the concept behind the Banshee Paradox seems the mostly likely to succeed for me. Or a custom steel build that is very similar. I'm going to open up a discussion with a local frame builder ( Rich Adams, Wilkes-Barre PA ) about this. I'd like to see what True Fabriction in Austin would say as I have a soft spot in my heart for them and I *know* their quality of work - but I fear for their availability.

For a FS, the only two I can see are the Niner WFO or the Intense Tracer 29. I'm not requiring 5" travel - 4" would be fine for this purpose I think but I just don't know of a 4" travel 29er which is *apparently* built with the solidity of these two bikes. Hmm. Maybe the Pivot 429? I'd love to see the bastard-child of the 429 and the Firebird. I welcome contributions for research here.

I'm also debating on which fork to go with. I like that the Marz 44 Micro Ti goes up to 140mm, and I can get it through a local for a *scary* good price. Doesn't give me the warm-fuzzies that a Fox F29 would - but are the fox up to 140mm travel yet?

The bike would see pretty much every type of riding from rail-trail, normal XC, back-country exploration, bike-packing, endurance events (think Wilderness 101 in PA), technical trail riding (ala City Park in Austin, National Trail in Phoenix, REM outside Santa Fe, Amasa Back in Moab), etc., - up to but not including real DH/FR - which will be served quite well by my other bike.

Yeah, I know, I'm asking a lot from one bike, but at least I'm not asking it to do real DH/FR any more.

I know this is not really a new concept thread, but it's an Open Mic and I need to vent/share with my brethren as I'm just in that needy mood. If you don't like it then please go read Passion.

mtbr member
    What happened to your MCR?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Stick with Titus, get a Rockstar.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by VTECnical
    What happened to your MCR?
    I wore it out. :P Seriously though, the top-tube cracked (including the gussett), up near the head tube. I put that bike together May '09 - 2nd-hand frame from a very delicate flower of a previous owner - and it got lots of hard bumpy miles. I had it setup with a rigid carbon fork which I'm sure helped to speed the demise. I'm not expecting Niner to do anything for me since I was not the original owner, although I have sent the email to ask what my options are.

mtbr member
    Sorry, that sucks. I just finished my MCR w/ Niner carbon fork. This is not fun info... Good luck with you build. and mine I guess...

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by VTECnical
    Sorry, that sucks. I just finished my MCR w/ Niner carbon fork. This is not fun info... Good luck with you build. and mine I guess...
    heh, don't rain on Niner's party, not yet at least, there's too many happy niner people. :P

Where are you riding, what kind of stuff? I'm almost exclusively on rocky-tree'd NE US trails, the only thing smooth and buff that I normally see is the road or rail-trail I sometimes ride TO the trails.

I really shouldn't jump stuff with that bike either, but it's in my blood to play like that when I'm on the trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0