"Drastic" or "One month" - something doesn't add up... make sense of this for me.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

"Drastic" or "One month" - something doesn't add up... make sense of this for me.

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px inset ;" class="alt2"> Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    Wow. Amazing stuff.

Sooo... (as a shorter guy who stands out of the saddle a lot and likes short chainstays) ... any word from Devin about a shorter-CS Leviathan?

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

(copied and pasted from the Drastic thread...)

The Lev doesn't really need shorter chainstays. The reason Devin shortened the stays on the 'moth is that it's typically ridden with a heavier fork and a heavier, more durable wheel that can take the abuse that people dish out when riding this frame. If you add ~a pound to the front end of the bike, it's suddenly a lot less nimble and it gets a lot more difficult to get the front wheel up quickly, whether climbing a tech track or manualing on short notice.

The Lev is built lighter all the way around, and as such it rides really light and nimble as currently built.

MC
    OK fair enough...

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Not singling anyone out. Bottom line is that Niner, Ventana, Intense, Titus, Turner, et al will need to make some changes to get their handling up to snuff. The only question is how they'll do it, and how long it'll take.

I also wonder how long it'll take until Smellsworse claims to have invented the Behemoth and the Sultan...

For now, the Behemoth sits alone at the top of the trailbike heap.

MC
    granted, I've only ridden a Lev, owned a Titus/Asylum, and now an Intense, so I can't speak at all for Niner, Ventana, or Turner, but..

how is it that the Lev "rides really light and nimble as currently built." but the Intense/Asylum/etc. is "need to make some changes to get their handling up to snuff."?

As I understand it, the Lev is a light 4" FS XC bike and the Spider fits in the exact.same.category.

What am I missing here?

CS length reference - (Asylum -> 18 -- Spider -> 18" -- Lev -> 18.2")

thanks,

john
    Last edited by jjay; 10-29-2006 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hmmmm...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Bikes are more than a simple number or two.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Poking a stick into a hornets nest???

What works for Mike may not work for another. He can probably ride circles around most of us but I think we all choose a bike that fits us and works for our particular style of riding and terrain. Same with Shiggy and his drop bars.

There is such a variety in body types, skill levels, fitness levels, terrain etc, that it is hard to make one "perfect bike" for everyone.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jjay
    What am I missing here?
    Mike is a Lenzsport dealer. That's all. I still like the Leviathan design for a nice XC rig...
    Front Range Forum Moderator

This place needs an enema
    OK fair enough...

granted, I've only ridden a Lev, owned a Titus/Asylum, and now an Intense, so I can't speak at all for Niner, Ventana, or Turner, but..

how is it that the Lev "rides really light and nimble as currently built." but the Intense/Asylum/etc. is "need to make some changes to get their handling up to snuff."?

As I understand it, the Lev is a light 4" FS XC bike and the Spider fits in the exact.same.category.

What am I missing here?

CS length reference - (Asylum -> 18 -- Spider -> 18" -- Lev -> 18.2")

thanks,

john
    No doubt your motives here are purely altuistic...

I'll clarify. My original statement re: the Lev refererred to the 3" Lev. I should *not* have included the Asylum in those comparisons.

Otherwise, my comments stand.

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My motives? I'm just trying to understand all this. I know I'm a relative noob here but I'm still confused...

GlowBoy (sorry man) asked if there were plans to shorten the CS on the Lev. Good question. I'm curious as I'm sure many others are on here.

You answer:

The Lev doesn't really need shorter chainstays.
    ...but you were talking about the 3" version.

OK. So? Will the newer 4" version have the shorter CS then?

thanks.

jl
    climb

OK. So? Will the newer 4" version have the shorter CS then?

thanks.
    I would think that the small and medium 4" Lev would with a shorter CS would be beneficial. I don't know if it would make much of a difference for size-large and above. I think it would help for shorter riders.

On the larger levs, the front end of the bike doesn't have a dual-crown shock with a huge tire and a burly rim that needs to be manual'ed at the last possible moment to launch some huge drop. My opinion...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    my comments stand.

MC
    then please answer my question, mike. if you have a moment. thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0