Drake v. Minute- Mtbr.com

Thread: Drake v. Minute

mtbr member

Drake v. Minute

Can anyone offer a camparison between the two?
    How do they ride?
    They can both be seen being blown out right now in various places.
    Thanks all

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a 100mm Minute and a 120mm Drake, both TA. I like them both alot. I'm not a suspension tuning nut nor am into spending alot of time tweaking and tuning forks. That said, both of these forks are fairly easy to set up and adjust. Both work very well. Both equally stif and smooth. Given the prices at various e-retailers, I wouldn't hesitate to by one. The big difference between them is that the Drake has a spring with air preload and the Minute is all air. I like the inherent tunability of the air spring in the Minute. I weigh about 175 naked and find that the medium spring that comes stock in the Drake is a bit too stiff for my liking, but not enough that I'm searching for a softer spring either. If $ is an issue, I wouldn't hesitiate to buy a Drake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro
    The big difference between them is that the Drake has a spring with air preload and the Minute is all air. I like the inherent tunability of the air spring in the Minute. I weigh about 175 naked and find that the medium spring that comes stock in the Drake is a bit too stiff for my liking, but not enough that I'm searching for a softer spring either. If $ is an issue, I wouldn't hesitiate to buy a Drake.
    I think that you are mistaken about your description of these two forks. I have just got a new 120mm. Minute and it definitely is not all air. It has a relatively short coil spring in series with an air spring. I am 210lbs. and Manitou recommended that for my weight, I should replace the standard medium spring with a firm. I have done the mod. Manitou call the spring system on the Minute MARS Air. I'm not sure what it means but here is their description:

"MARS Air

MARS Air is a hybrid spring consisting of a small coil spring and an air chamber. The two springs work in series, minimizing sticktion and providing smooth, bottomless travel. The result is a fork with the suppleness of a coil spring and the light weight and adjustability of an air spring."

I have never had a Drake apart but it is described on the Manitou website as having a coil spring with "air-based preload adjustability allows you to set the perfect amount of sag for your weight and riding style.".

The 120mm. Hex axle Minute weighs 3.9lbs. while the 120mm. Hex axle Drake weighs 4.7lbs. The weight difference would indicate that the Drake has a coil spring.

That said I'm really impressed with my Minute. It is very supple and the new Absolute + damper works very well. The Drake has the same damper and if you don't mind the extra weight, I'm sure it is a great fork. Some would argue that the ride of a coil is better than air.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

bike tester
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    They can both be seen being blown out right now in various places.
    like what?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3
    like what?

Sorry, bad choice of words when it comes to forks...
    Price-wise, it seems like places are selling them cheaply

bike tester
    Sorry, bad choice of words when it comes to forks...
    Price-wise, it seems like place are selling them cheaply
    yeah i didn't misunderstand you... like what places are selling them cheaply?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3
    yeah i didn't misunderstand you... like what places are selling them cheaply?
    Pricepoint and Jenson...seems like a good price anyways...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    The 120mm. Hex axle Minute weighs 3.9lbs. while the 120mm. Hex axle Drake weighs 4.7lbs. The weight difference would indicate that the Drake has a coil spring.

That said I'm really impressed with my Minute. It is very supple and the new Absolute + damper works very well. The Drake has the same damper and if you don't mind the extra weight, I'm sure it is a great fork. Some would argue that the ride of a coil is better than air.
    My 2009 Drake came from Jensen with the Absolute damper, and the Absolute+ is a $50 upgrade available from Manitou. It's extremely easy to install, and makes a big difference. It's still not as plush as a Fox Fit, but still less than 1/2 the price (and 20mm TA). I haven't ridden a Minute.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The minute is not all air. Have pulled several apart for tuning.

mtbr member
    Pricepoint and Jenson...seems like a good price anyways...
    fyi Jenson is all out of Drake 29ers

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Manitou recommended the Drake Super Air for me (300lb Clyde). Sorry I missed Jenson's sale on the TA Drakes. I guess Pricepoint is the only option now.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Members who have read this thread: 0