Dorado Pro 29er!?!?!?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dorado Pro 29er!?!?!?!

Saw this on Pinkbike. Good news for us 29er DH fans. Now just have to get one of the Lenz DH frames........
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Manitou...29er-2009.html

Category Winner
    Wow, some very "informed" opinions in the comments there.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Well the are pinkbikers so it is expected.

banned
    The pinkbike crowd doesn't seem to get out much. Sounds like a discussion about 29er wheels from 7-8 years ago.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles
    Saw this on Pinkbike. Good news for us 29er DH fans. Now just have to get one of the Lenz DH frames........
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Manitou...29er-2009.html
    IIRC the Dorado could already run a 29er wheel/tire without modification.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Edit:

It is a reduced travel 26er fork, so expect about 6.5" travel. I didn't ask price.
    Last edited by D.F.L.; 09-11-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    While no 29er FS bike that I've ridden felt like it had "more travel" than it actually had (sorry Mikesee), many DHers FRs and travel junkies agree that after about 7" of travel it's the quality and not the quantity that matters. I'd argue that it's always about the quality, but you do need enough to get the job done. I'd rather have an avalanche shock equipped DH bike with 7" rather than one with a DHX and 9" of travel, and same goes for the front fork. We saw DH bikes kind of go a little extreme with 9-10" of travel, but now they've settled back to a bit less, and that's likely where it will stay for a long time. Geometry constraints make anything significantly more than about 8" impractical because the fork won't match the rear travel and you can't increase the travel without increasing the BB height excessively. I don't know if 7" can ever be designed into a 29er, and this is where 650b may rule supreme (due to less geometry conflicts and compramises). On the other hand, it would be interesting to try 7", but at that travel amounts 29ers have a long way to go and I won't be going nuts for the first maker to pull it off, I have no problem waiting.

I think that dorado retails for something like $2800 as well. I'm pretty sure White Brothers or Avalanche could set you up with a 29er DH fork for cheaper, and with the Avalanche better quality of travel.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Avy would be my first option but have to see if Craig thinks it will fit a 29er wheel.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles
    Avy would be my first option but have to see if Craig thinks it will fit a 29er wheel.
    Craig CNCes the entire fork, it may not be a big deal to do some sort of travel reduction with those types of forks due to the fact that they don't use casted lowers or parts from taiwan.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Going to pinkbike is like making a visit to the chimp exhibit at the zoo. It works on so many levels

mtbr member
    Once I know that Lenz will be building a DH rig I will talk to craig. I will do front and rear avy becasue you cant beat it.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    I'll bet the earth is still flat there and you fall off the edge if you sail too close.

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Members who have read this thread: 1