Does it exist?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Does it exist?

Master of Beat

Does it exist?

Ive been out of bike tech loop for a few years and I was wondering if such a bike exists...

I'm riding a 2007 fisher paragon with a few upgrades and it's fast and won me some races. I recently started riding again and was out with a friend and hit a drop I shouldn't have with it. On impact my fork bottomed out and my tire blew off the rim and obviously I didn't land it. Ive got a bike with 170mm travel but I refuse to climb another hill with it.

Is there something out there that is light and will climb and roll as well or better than my 29 hardtail in a fs than can take some hits?

Am I asking for cake and to eat it too?

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Niner RIP 9 ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by attomixt
    Is there something out there that is light and will climb and roll as well or better than my 29 hardtail in a fs than can take some hits?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by attomixt
    Am I asking for cake and to eat it too?
    Yes, but you still can't.

Check out the Specialized FSR 29er and Epic 29er, the Santa Cruz Tallboy, the Niner RIP9 and JET9, the Titus Rockstar, the Pivot 429...

Yup, lots of choices to fit you riding style and budget.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Stumpjumper FSR 29'er or Epic 29'er, in the Expert trim it is pretty nicely equipped with only the wheels lacking a bit. They are heavy and not overly strong, I'd prefer one or the other....

The Brain shock on the Epic and Stumpjumper makes a huge difference in pedaling without being wicked expensive, they pedal like a hardtail and ride like a FS bike. I wouldn't have believed it either, until I rode one. You can buy a bike that doesn't use a band-aid like the Brain or (less effective) Pro-Pedal, but the frame is going to cost as much as the Spec bike complete.

Master of Beat
    Does anyone know the approx weight of an FSR Stump Jumper expert 29er

Plays with tools
    Ibis Mojo although it has children sized wheels

mtbr member
    What kind of drops will you be riding? When I had my paragon I kept the drops to 18 inches or less, maybe you bought the wrong bike. If money isn't a concern maybe one of the new breed of carpet fiber all mountain bikes is for you, the best compromise. The old cliche still stands- light, strong, cheap- pick two. Personally, if I'm gonna encounter drops and such I deal with the weight and climb with a 34ish pound freeride bike and keep up my strength with the road bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    hit a drop I shouldn't have with it. On impact my fork bottomed out and my tire blew off the rim
    That'll happen with any bike - you take any drop wrong and it is enough to burp the tire, you messed up. Bottoming out a fork is no big deal either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I ride a medium Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29 and it is 28 pounds with reflector and tube deletion and cheap Shimano SPD pedals added.

At Work
    Also look at the GF Rumblefish.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

Newt Guy
    I don't get it. I wouldn't buy ANY of the bikes suggested for what you want. I would buy a WFO. It is a NO BRAINER to me. The bike is incredible climbing and descending.

The bikes mentioned here are XC bikes compared to the WFO.
    Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

mtbr member
    My short list speed to cush was Spec Epic comp 29, GF Hifi & Rumblefish, and SJ FSR 29. Chose the RF not being a racer, yet. If I were racing some, probably would have gone with the Epic comp, but do love the RF now for my mix of XC and goofing around.
    Last edited by Noclutch; 08-26-2010 at 07:50 AM.

Master of Beat
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK
    That'll happen with any bike - you take any drop wrong and it is enough to burp the tire, you messed up. Bottoming out a fork is no big deal either.
    I'll admit that it wasn't my smoothest of hits but isn't that what suspension is for?? I'm talking 4 footer downhill.. My Titus supermoto would have sucked it up but I don't even bother riding it anymore because it is too small and climbs horribly. I really like the brain idea. I'll have to test one out but I'm really just looking for a nice fast trail bike. I can race my paragon but I like to have a little more fun with things on the trail without blowing myself up on a hill.. Because when u get down to it, the majority of "trail" riding is xc IMO.

bicycle rider
    I have a DW-Link Turner Sultan, climbs great with the rear shock open and can land almost anything I throw it at.

Morgan

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    I have a DW-Link Turner Sultan, climbs great with the rear shock open and can land almost anything I throw it at.

Morgan
    +1 for a 240# rider.

Members who have read this thread: 0