do you remember when you first heard about 29ers?- Mtbr.com
    bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

do you remember when you first heard about 29ers?

ghey question I know but.....

is buachail foighneach me
    back when willits i think it was had them at interbike. i think dirt rag reviewed it that year as well. probably 99 or 00. i thought they were silly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

In Flag

A number of years ago in Flagstaff...one of their shops (Absolute?) had a Willits rigid 29er, not only was it cool the thing made sense in a tall guy kinda way...

poser Administrator
    I read about them in either the mountain bike magazine or in the old BIKE magazine. They had a Willits 29er with the manitou fork. I laughed and thought it was ridiculous that someone would want to ride road wheels offroad with their tires touching their toes and a poorly performing Manitou 29er. The review said it was weird and their tires touched their toes but WTB had made the nanoraptor and it was gonna catch on.

Guess it did and I had to eat crow, but I never said I was Nostradamus did I?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Thumbs Up!
    forget the year but I remember wanting a Diamondback Overdrive and/or Bianchi Project 8?
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

i like to bicycle

green kelly

i saw a buddy on a light green kelly 29er. it was the first rigid fork i'd seen in years. i was stunned.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I do. It was on this very site. My first 29er was an On One Inbred, which was all the rage at that time.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    back when willits i think it was had them at interbike. i think dirt rag reviewed it that year as well. probably 99 or 00. i thought they were silly.
    Yeah, the Dirt Rag article was pretty much a stand out memory for me. Willits, Vicious Cycles, and Moots I think were the three that were featured in that one.

I know the concept of 700c goes way back for off roading, but for the "modern era" (read post Nanoraptor) you could not have heard of a "29"er" before 1999. Heck, Wes Williams was the guy who coined the term in the first place, and he didn't come up with that until after the Nano.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro
    forget the year but I remember wanting a Diamondback Overdrive and/or Bianchi Project 8?
    If you count the Diamondback, I guess I heard about them in 1993 when a guy at a shop talked me out of buying an Overdrive. I ended up buying a 26er at a different shop.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Let me think back.... I guess it was about 6 weeks ago! 3 weeks later, I'm rockin' a new Redline Monocog.

(was) Big in Japan
    THE DirtRag article. 2000

Then Whoopicat's Spot on the SS forum. 03/04?

Then my friend got one. 05
    Ride.

mtbr member
    What's a 29er?

mtbr member
    I think 99....A buddy was racing the Pro-Xterra circuit and Fisher had him on a 29er. He was poo-poo ing it forever and hated it. In fact, the next year, I sold Fishers at the store I owned at the time and he traded me some Gucci parts for a Pro-Calibre frame I had. He hated the 29er that much. It wasn't until 2005 that I had actually put any serious miles on one, and have been full on since 2006. We 29er riding are VERY few here on Vancouver Island, especially outside Victoria.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    haha! i remember joining some weird euro dude's 29er website(cloxxki), only other guy there was some guitar playing guy named ted... i tested one of the first fishers, then happened to live about 5 miles down the road from a guy named Walt... crazy to realize that i went custom 29er rigid, to stock rigid, to ss, to full sus, to stock hardtail before some of my friends even tried a 29er....
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The first time I heard of them was the first time I saw them, in a race at the Chihuahuan Desert Challenge, Lajitas, Texas (now named Mas-O-Menos) in the Big Bend Desert around 2001 or 2002. It was a Willets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwills
    i saw a buddy on a light green kelly 29er. it was the first rigid fork i'd seen in years. i was stunned.

I still have a orange Kelly Ro Sham Bo 29'er with a rigid fork all pimped out.

-Pauls hubs, XTR crank with a Jericho chainring, Avid BB7's and Avid Ultimate levers, White Industries freewheel, Thomson stem and seatpost and Easton carbon bars, King headset, WTB rims. It is sweet.

mtbr member

Salida, CO

In Salida, CO when I saw my friend's new McLung (#5). Not too long after that a few other SS 29ers schooled me on some "primitive singletrack" and I saw what a rigid SS 29er could do... I don't remember when it was - '03 maybe?

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was fascinated by the stories of the first Willits bikes people had seen at Interbike 99/2000. I was curious to find out the pros and cons of bigwheeledbikes. I remember guys from WTB talking about these wheels too around that time. In 2003 I was lucky to find a used but really good Willits singlespeed. It is still one of my bikes I ride the most. On my computer I found these pictures of Willits at Interbike. Since it doesn't show the tire it should be one/two years later. Would be cool to find pictures of this first Interbike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AM Octopus
    I still have a orange Kelly Ro Sham Bo 29'er with a rigid fork all pimped out.

-Pauls hubs, XTR crank with a Jericho chainring, Avid BB7's and Avid Ultimate levers, White Industries freewheel, Thomson stem and seatpost and Easton carbon bars, King headset, WTB rims. It is sweet.
    Your post is useless without pics
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Somewhere at a local SoCal bike store (Oside Supergo maybe ?) in 98 or 99, Fisher was evangelizing/demoing a bunch of 29er bikes, I seem to remember Gary was there may have even told him he was nuts. Didn't bother to try one, looked too big and the frames might have been, flash in the pan idea I tells ya. Got a GT Peace in Feb of 09, man that crow tasted good, .

change is good
    Sep 2004
    quirky eccentrics trying to be different. It would never last in my opinion. Just like front suspension and full suspension. I first heard about 29ers only about 5 to 6 years ago. A friend told me about them and before I ponied up for a custom frame I decided to test ride one. I loved it immediately in the parking lot before I hit the trail head.

Witty McWitterson
    Was working at a distributor in 97 when Wes Williams would call up and order odd stuff. I asked and got an ear full about 28"ers. Met him in CB a few years later and he remembered talking to me. Let me ride his Rholoff equipped townie. Pretty cool. Shortly after that ride, I ordered my Hunter. This was 2k or so.

Prior to that, in 94 or so, I was working in Moab for Western Spirit Tours. The choad that owned the place then had a Willits 28"er. Well, I guess it'd be considered a monster cross now because it had drop bars. Anyways, he proceeded to literally smoke my ass on this weird big wheeled bike. It was interesting, but I put it out of mind cause I was on a Bontrager then, and nothing was better than it.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yep, it was Cloxxki standing in front of me with his huge Surly explaining how superior it was to anything on two wheels. It put me off of the idea of riding one for at least 5 years .

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Standing in the Path Bike Shop sometime in 2002 listening to manager Karl trying to convince me that my size might be a great match for this *shocking* 700c wheel. That discussion led to this sometime in 2003:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Found out right here

I ran into this 29er forum while I was considering a new bike. I remember being attracted to 29ers by all the informative, supportive and passionate grassroots activity which was like rediscovering mountain biking a second time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Wink '02 for me

I remember it clearly GF had just shown us the Supercal and the Mt Tam, I was hooked, as a not very technically proficient rider the whole idea made snece to me. Tried it out at the Australian SS champs in '03 but running a converted hybrid with the fatest tyre i could get or even fit, 700x45 I think, and loved it.

The was fortunate to get the 1st 29 inbred to land in Oz from the then agent in '05 and 4 bikes latter about to get my 5th niner.
    29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

Birthday Collector
    Back in the early-mid 90's (93 - 94?) we were in CB for a week. A friend of mine's daugher was dating Wes at the time. He was on one of his 700c wheeled townies and telling us how he was riding it off-road and that it jammed really well on the trails unless it was really rocky. I remember being really skeptical, but thought it might be really fast on a smooth trail, having raced on my MTB against guys on 'cross bikes in cyclocross race a few years earlier... And those guys flew on anything that wasn't really rough... I think it was about 10 years later that I first rode a 29" wheel bike in the dirt - it felt pretty good, but I had just gotten a 5-1/4" travel FS 26" wheel bike, and I was so totally into it. A few years later I got my first SS with 29" wheels and that has pretty much been it for me. All I ride in the dirt anymore.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    One year ago, from this site. Based on reviews and reading too many threads, I went with a 2009 Paragon. That was after I emailed Fisher in regards to the notoriuos frame breakage on the 2007 and 2008 models. Glad I got it. Me - Paragon, son - Cobia, wife - E-Caliber. All 2009 models and all golden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    2002, talking to Carl at The Path while buy my Norco Fluid, saying something like Gary is nuts! Now, 7 29ers later, I do not own a 26" bike. Who knew?

mtbr member
    It was 2001 when I saw that Gary Fisher had mountain bikes with 29" wheels.
    And I was like yeah right! No one makes parts for these bikes, screw that!

At the time, the movement was single speeds.

And I had just bought my Cannondale Raven :-0
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Back in the winter of 2000, my boss traded an old Moots full suspension bike to Mikesee for a Willits New Sheriff. I thought to myself, What the hell are you thinking. I was on a 29er right after Interbike 2001.

Members who have read this thread: 0