mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Do most Trek dealers offer discounts off MSRP?

Recently I've been thinking about getting a 2018 Trek Fuel EX 8. I've read on this forum that people have been getting discounts at their LBS on Fuel EX 8s for as low as $2500. When I talked to my LBS they were firm on MSRP ($3200). I get that the EX 8 isn't a very expensive model, but it seems to me there should be some discount off of MSRP.

mtbr member
    My Trek dealer around here is pretty much MSRP all the way unless he gets behind in a model year. The discounts off MSRP only happen for in-stock bikes at end-of-season and for model-year holdovers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Interesting...
    My Trek dealer offered my 10% off and no tax on a 2018 Fuel EX 9.8 ($5000 OTD).
    But won't budge off msrp on a 2018 EX 8 ($3200+tax).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Trek frowns upon dealers selling below msrp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I guess it depends on the lbs. I got my stache 7 for 15% off and my line pro 40 wheelset for about 15% off as well with the xd driver free (normally 100). You don't get if you don't ask. The first lbs I went to wouldn't budge on the prices though. It's worth noting that the first dealer I went to sells primarily trek and the dealer that gave me the discount, is a bigger shop and sells multiple brands
    Last edited by Libikerdad; 12-20-2017 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Addition

mtbr member
    $3200 isn't very expensive?
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    My Trek dealer around here is pretty much MSRP all the way unless he gets behind in a model year. The discounts off MSRP only happen for in-stock bikes at end-of-season and for model-year holdovers.
    This^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

Moderator Moderator
    For current model year in-demand bikes an LBS doesn't need to discount it to have it sell, if there is a bike from last model year on the floor that may well get a discount to move it.

Right now it's middle of MY18, I would expect most shops won't need to discount the bike.

Singletrack Slayer
    I wish I could get a discount on my groceries at Walmart.... I worked at shops that discount, one is out of business, Trek is firm on MSRP , closeout and sales or coupons happen. Fuel EX8 is a hell of a deal at $3200.

...And there is not that much of a Margin on the bikes! Factor in costs; most bike sales a shop makes , they may break even! Support your LBS and make sure you get a good service department, there is more value in that than a bike alone.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Only a manager will, if he wants to, discount a bike. Sales guys are trained to tell you no discount is possible. At this time of year I would aim for 18% off plus tax for cash. Ask managers at different shops if they'll work with you to get a deal done at about 2625 plus tax. It could take a half dozen shops. Be prepared to put 60% down as a no refund deposit on an ordered bike. Ask for 20 off stuff the shop orders for you going forward. Good luck.

Stone Jack Baller
    Yíall believe what they tell you if it makes you feel better about what you pay. My lbs owner has been giving me crazy good deals on treks for 20+ years now. He wouldnít be in business if he didnít. Internet sales would crush him. Trek really hurt the trek dealers when they started selling directly to customers.

Singletrack Slayer
    You are so wrong, the bikes sale goes through the shop It is a great idea..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    never never never will ever paid msrp.

Stone Jack Baller
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles View Post
    You are so wrong, the bikes sale goes through the shop It is a great idea..
    Iíll tell him heís wrong and should be happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoker View Post
    Yíall believe what they tell you if it makes you feel better about what you pay. My lbs owner has been giving me crazy good deals on treks for 20+ years now. He wouldnít be in business if he didnít. Internet sales would crush him. Trek really hurt the trek dealers when they started selling directly to customers.
    Agreed.

I think the discount is all about your relationship with the shop. I was considering a Fuel 9.8 and my shop manager offered me 15% without me even asking. That said, my shop is 4 miles away and Iím in there minimum 2 days a week and usually always buy something. Even if itís just a few waffles or beans.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    I think it varies widely from shop to shop, manager to manager, customer to customer. No universal policy that applies to all Trek dealers. I got a good (not great) deal (16%) on my Farley EX8 buying a 17 in October while they were waiting for the 2018s to be released. It was made a better deal by the fact that the 2018s were completely unchanged from 2017 - even the color is the same. The 2018's were full price no matter who you are. This past November, I got 19% off on a Twin Cities shop's last 2017 carbon FXs6. Things are a little more competitive in the Twin Cities than they are here in the hinterlands.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    I think the discount is all about your relationship with the shop.
    This... relationships are everything.

mtbr member
    Yes and no. The warranty is not valid unless a Trek Dealer puts the bike together. They also get a kick back in doing so. My LBS would rather it go to the customer on the high end bikes. It removes the ordering a 8k plus bike for a customer not fit and now need redo a bike
    Too Many .

Singletrack Slayer
    Iíll tell him heís wrong and should be happy.
    Get your Fing facts right bro

mtbr member
    Trek sells their 29ers only at MSRP. 27.5 bike are a whole different story, so you should post that question in that forum.

[Yeah, I'm trolling]

Moderator Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Trek sells their 29ers only at MSRP. 27.5 bike are a whole different story, so you should post that question in that forum.

[Yeah, I'm trolling]
    Are they discounted by 1.5?

Stone Jack Baller
    Get your Fing facts right bro
    Let's see..... Listen to a trek shop owner who has been a friend for 20+ years, and says he's pissed about trek selling direct, or...... well, maybe you're a trek dealer too? Maybe he likes to dictate the terms of a sale? Maybe he feels that people not having to come to him don't know that he will give them a good deal, and feels they might go another route? Maybe he likes to build relationships with customers before offering them a lifetime of free service checks and tuneups? I don't know all the reasons, but he tells me it hurt a lot of dealers. If you know all the "Fing facts", tell me, so I can go tell him he's an idiot. Or should I just tell him to get his "Fing facts right, bro" and walk out?

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    I used to buy into the myth of LBS and the slim margins that they make on bikes.......
    I was selling a bike and as usual went to one of my 2 LBS for a bike box......They are usually happy to let people re use them and saves them a trip to the dumpster. There was an invoice in the box for a mid level FS bike, about 1900 bucks. Shop paid a little less than 900. Pretty good mark up. I'm not knocking them for it and I get that we should support the brick and mortar guys, which I do, a lot, but they aren't making 50$ on a bike sale.

Stone Jack Baller
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post

[Yeah, I'm trolling]

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    I used to buy into the myth of LBS and the slim margins that they make on bikes.......
    I was selling a bike and as usual went to one of my 2 LBS for a bike box......They are usually happy to let people re use them and saves them a trip to the dumpster. There was an invoice in the box for a mid level FS bike, about 1900 bucks. Shop paid a little less than 900. Pretty good mark up. I'm not knocking them for it and I get that we should support the brick and mortar guys, which I do, a lot, but they aren't making 50$ on a bike sale.
    That's not the common mark up on bikes, it's a lot less than that. They make more than $50 but less than $1000.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm not sure what that invoice was actually for, but Trek doesn't even have a FS bike that wholesales for anywhere near $900. It could have been a closeout, sale price, warranty discount etc.

As an LBS myself, if you'd like to look at my P&L to see what it costs just to have the ability to sell a bike, you may be shocked. So, yes by the time the bills are paid, we make close to $50 on a bike like that.

mtbr member
    This MTBR discussion forum is amazing. You guys will argue about anything, won't you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThankYouJerry View Post
    Recently I've been thinking about getting a 2018 Trek Fuel EX 8. I've read on this forum that people have been getting discounts at their LBS on Fuel EX 8s for as low as $2500. When I talked to my LBS they were firm on MSRP ($3200). I get that the EX 8 isn't a very expensive model, but it seems to me there should be some discount off of MSRP.
    You haven't been paying attention if you "read" this. The discounts are offered on 2017 models, and that's what people were saying in those threads.

mtbr member
    This MTBR discussion forum is amazing. You guys will argue about anything, won't you?

You should know. You tried to argue that losing weight by surgery was hard work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by @Ride@ View Post
    You haven't been paying attention if you "read" this. The discounts are offered on 2017 models, and that's what people were saying in those threads.
    You haven't been paying attention if you "read" this. My second post in this thread:

"Interesting...
    But won't budge off
    msrp on a 2018 EX 8 ($3200+tax)."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    That's not the common mark up on bikes, it's a lot less than that. They make more than $50 but less than $1000.
    I heard Trek offers some very attractive discounts for bike shop employees. The more $$ the bike, the Larger Discount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThankYouJerry View Post
    You haven't been paying attention if you "read" this. My second post in this thread:

"Interesting...
    But won't budge off
    msrp on a 2018 EX 8 ($3200+tax)."
    Your op is what I responded to, and the ex8 is what it was about, and that has zero to do with discounts on high dollar boutique bikes. So, like I said.

. I've read on this forum that people have been getting discounts at their LBS on Fuel EX 8s for as low as $2500
    ^You haven't been reading this on this site with respect to 2018 fuel ex8's.

mtbr member
    Ditto. Bought my 2017 EX-8 plus a few months ago for $2700. Other bikes bought previously were what Trek sells their bikes for. I am not rich but don't begrudge them for it one bit. They are a local small business that always does the right thing for their customers. They give great expert advice and attention every time I stop in, have store rides, get things ordered in quick, allow me to bring my bike in after a ride just to give it a once through for free, etc.. I used to have a retail business and know how difficult it can be. It isn't always what you pay, sometimes it's what you get for the money spent. I will and continue to give them my business.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think it depends on the area you live in. Here in Denver I was able to find discounts but its cold and snowy out, not many bikes moving. Your in CA, might be different since the weather is always decent. Some dealers wouldn't even budge off price, some gave 15-20 percent off. Id shop around and let them know you want to buy today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    I heard Trek offers some very attractive discounts for bike shop employees. The more $$ the bike, the Larger Discount.
    they do
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Virtually all bike brands do as they realize bike shop employees can rarely afford their products, and they benefit from those employees riding and advocating for their brand. This is pretty common throughout retail.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    Most bike and component manufacturers do. I recall for Trek if you do something called "Trek U"...you get some pretty significant discounts. Shimano has something similar where if you're a shop employee and you did some tutorials...you get a larger discount. Sites like Expertcity have businesses that go through them where shop employees do tutorials for pretty big discounts over retail.

Perks of being a shop employee.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    This... relationships are everything.
    +1. You generally have to have a relationship and track record with a shop. If you are some guy off the street expecting a big discount for showing up, it likely wonít happen unless itís a bike they really want to unload. People pay for their discounts through repeat business, so both sides benefit. The margins on bikes are very slim, if they werenít, shops would not be going under left and right. There is very little room for error in that business.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    ...And there is not that much of a Margin on the bikes! Factor in costs; most bike sales a shop makes , they may break even! Support your LBS and make sure you get a good service department, there is more value in that than a bike alone.
    This is total, total bullshit. The margin on bikes is at least as much, if not MORE, than most retail. 30-40%. Prices have been falling the past few years, too (even for identical models from year to year), as numerous companies have moved into the online selling market. Bike shops aren't just competing with BikesDirect anymore--they're competing with numerous online outfits selling bicycles online with all sorts of brand names on them.

I'm happy to pay good money for services, including a fitting. I'll even pay MSRP for a bike that is in-stock. But don't let anyone convince you there's not room for a discount if you're willing to buy a bike in the middle of winter--that is nonsense!!!

Service is also not just the province of bike shops. There are MANY people out there even offering mobile maintenance services.

I hope there's room for LBSs to survive, but if they're just hoping we'll all walk into their shops and pay too much for them to order us stuff that we can get on Amazon or elsewhere, they will either compete or die.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I believe you are correct. My lbs Trek dealer sells a lot of Trek bikes for a small shop. Always gives me a good deal. 17 Domane slr 6 was $550 off msrp. And that bike there was no inventory needing to be pushed. NJ had none and I had to wait 6 weeks for the mother ship in MI to ship.

Iíve bought 5 bikes and 1 frame from him.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    This is total, total bullshit. The margin on bikes is at least as much, if not MORE, than most retail. 30-40%. Prices have been falling the past few years, too (even for identical models from year to year), as numerous companies have moved into the online selling market. Bike shops aren't just competing with BikesDirect anymore--they're competing with numerous online outfits selling bicycles online with all sorts of brand names on them.

I'm happy to pay good money for services, including a fitting. I'll even pay MSRP for a bike that is in-stock. But don't let anyone convince you there's not room for a discount if you're willing to buy a bike in the middle of winter--that is nonsense!!!

Service is also not just the province of bike shops. There are MANY people out there even offering mobile maintenance services.

I hope there's room for LBSs to survive, but if they're just hoping we'll all walk into their shops and pay too much for them to order us stuff that we can get on Amazon or elsewhere, they will either compete or die.
    Youíre right that there is a significant margin of profit but youíre incorrect if you think that margin is on the LBS end. Components a different story. Big Trek takes home those dollars.

mtbr member
    It is certainly all relative to the shop and the item. Being new to the mountain bike side of things I'm still learning more about this. Having been riding road for many years it is easier to figure out for me. I have only recently found a Trek shop that did much outside of MSRP in my area, and it is the newest Trek dealer around. Before finding this shop my best bet was to look for a closeout or at another brand. Even those brands vary from shop to shop, regardless of the relationship sometimes.

The last road bike I bought, that hasn't been ridden since getting a MTB, was purchased in the summer as the new year models were coming out. Shop "A" told me the manufacturer had dropped the price and they came off even more. Shop "B" which had given me a "discounted" price on it from original MSRP but not current MSRP stuck with the original "discounted" price even thought the manufacturer website showed the new MSRP. Both shops would have to order the bike as they didn't have it on the floor but shop "B" was trying to sell me something on the floor discounted instead of what I wanted above MSRP...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Well, I've posted this elsewhere, but I've found good deals on last year's models at my LBS. I got a 2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.8 at 2800 (Canadian $) off (it was a Project One bike and a demo) in October. Then, at Christmas, I got a 2017 Slash 9.8 at 50% off. Now I know the components of the 2018 Slash are better, but at 50% off I was more than happy to get that deal. Of course, the problem with waiting for the big deals like that is that so often the size you need isn't available!

Singletrack Slayer
    Let's see..... Listen to a trek shop owner who has been a friend for 20+ years, and says he's pissed about trek selling direct, or...... well, maybe you're a trek dealer too? Maybe he likes to dictate the terms of a sale? Maybe he feels that people not having to come to him don't know that he will give them a good deal, and feels they might go another route? Maybe he likes to build relationships with customers before offering them a lifetime of free service checks and tuneups? I don't know all the reasons, but he tells me it hurt a lot of dealers. If you know all the "Fing facts", tell me, so I can go tell him he's an idiot. Or should I just tell him to get his "Fing facts right, bro" and walk out?
    Ok Mr ********; Every bike sell goes through a dealer and the dealer gets a cut. Customer comes in to pick up bike and we sell add ons and educate the customer. Online P&A is same. Dealer gets a cut of the sell and doesn't have to do anything in most cases. Giving away free service is just throwing money away, Surprised that shop is still in business. If it has been around 20 years then overhead cost might be lower, IE own the building, etc. whatever

Singletrack Slayer
    You don't think about the cost associated with the bike, shipping, labor cost to build it, cost to store it on sales floor and then cost to sell it. There is more than just that price you see. on average selling a bike doesn't make you a profit. It is the service that is where the bike becomes a profit.

Stone Jack Baller
    Ok Mr ********; Every bike sell goes through a dealer and the dealer gets a cut. Customer comes in to pick up bike and we sell add ons and educate the customer. Online P&A is same. Dealer gets a cut of the sell and doesn't have to do anything in most cases. Giving away free service is just throwing money away, Surprised that shop is still in business. If it has been around 20 years then overhead cost might be lower, IE own the building, etc. whatever
    Was that so hard?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Dealers sort of get a cut. We get a credit on our account, not cash in our drawer. It doesn't go in to our sales totals. I'm not really sure yet weather I like it or not, but it's way better than someone buying a Canyon and not getting anyting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Just ordered a 2018 Trek Marlin 5 through a LBS. They knocked off about 10% from the MSRP. I don't know if they would apply the same discount to higher end models, but I was happy to save a little.