Do I need a Small or will Medium work? GT Karakoram- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Do I need a Small or will Medium work? GT Karakoram

Looking at the new GT Karakoram 2.0. I am 5'8"

The small comes with 28.9 standover, while the medium is 30.4. Buying online, so i wont be able to try things out.

Normally i ride a Santa Cruz Nomad in medium. When I test ride 29er or any bike for that matter, I am always a size medium. I tried GF's Superfly 100 in medium and was totally fine. Also tried a Santa Cruz Tallboy which doesn't come in small, and I was fine.

The other day I went to REI to check out some bikes. The medium is 31 standover, while the small is 29.7. I felt when I lift the medium (31) between my legs, i have about 1" while the small I had a couple inches.

Dont intent to ride this bike other than pure XC. Actually, mostly to train on my local wall climbs.

Do I need the small or Medium GT Karakoram?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Get the measurements of the bikes you have tried and compare them to the GT. That should give you a good idea of how it measures up.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Do you plan to spend your time standing over the bike or actually riding it.
    If riding then I would test them all out and pick the one that fit best in the ETT measurement.
    Standover would have to be the most over thought bicycle measurement there is and has absolutely no bearing for while you are actually riding along.
    At 5'8" tall I have seen people on anywhere between S and L.
    Leg length, arm length and many other things will impact.

poser Administrator
    if you feel comfortable on the Nomad, get a bike with a similar size actual top tube length, that is if the nomad is 22.8" TT actual try to match it in the 29er. If your nomad is set up as a more agile set up for drop ins and jumps etc then matching the TT will give you a similar experience (within the new bikes limits and geometry) lengthening the TT will move the new bike toward a more XC speed based experience, shortening will move it towards a more BMX-y experience.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Never trust a fart
    At 5'8", you will be in between sizes as far as stand over goes. But stand over clearance is only needed when your not riding the bike.

Go test ride both the medium and the small back to back and see what position you like the best. That will tell you what size bike you will need. No need to complicate things. Just go test ride them and let your body tell you what feels right.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I'm the same height, and thats just a small part of bike fit. But, if I had to guess, and had buy a bike online, I'd say medium.

Members who have read this thread: 0