Do I need new?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Do I need new?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Do I need new?

I did the research and decided that the Santa Cruz blur would be a good bike selection for my riding area and xc racing. After thinking about spending 6grand on another bike, I am rethinking it. Do I need to spend 6 grand on a bike to have fun and do some races? Probably not as I already have a carbon single speed too. So, can I have some suggestions of two or three year old bikes that would fit the bill? I would like to spend 3 grand or less on a xc rig. Thanks for your suggestions.

mtbr member
    Used any of the following - I am assuming 100 FS is what you are looking at

Specialized Epic
    Trek Top Fuel
    Scott Spark RC
    Pivot 429 SL
    etc.

I am sure there are more. Depends on what comes up, but locally there are guys that sell 1 -2 year old race bikes since they get new bike with team discounts.

There are lots of really good ones and few poor ones. However personal preference is important.

This January my GF picked up a 2018 Trek Top fuel 9.7 for $2200. Used 1 season.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I think you have the right idea, you probably don't need a brand new bike.
    Lots of good deals on lightly used bikes can be found by checking Pinkbike/Craigslist/Kijiji.

As long as you can demo the bike and give it a good once over before putting down cash you can probably find a good deal and be happy for years to come.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I had this same debate (with a Blur, as it turns out). I ended up purchasing a lower build Blur for a few reasons: I can always upgrade components. I get the Santa Cruz warranty. I get the support of my local bike shop. I figured that the peace mind was worth spending extra dollars, rather than buying a unknown bike from an unknown someone on Pinkbike (I live in the hinterlands, so any used bike I purchase on Pinkbike would be shipped to me). For what it is worth, I love the Blur!

Rod
    mtbr member
    I'll add a Giant Anthem. Friend just got one for 2k. I'm unsure of the build.

Also a salsa spearfish. It's not known as a full out xc race bike, it's marathon, but I really like Dave Weagle did with the suspension. It can be active or super firm with the flip of a lever.

Niner RTK - Friend has this and it definitely bobs more than my spearfish, but it may be his setup. If it can win the cohutta 100, which is basically a 100 mile gravel race it has to be somewhat efficient.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions. I read the blur is a great bike. I will look for the suggested bike in my area. Madison is pretty close and trek is located in Madison.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'll add a Giant Anthem. Friend just got one for 2k. I'm unsure of the build
    I know a couple of guys that race those, they seem pretty happy. Those look like they can be a lot of bike for the money, especially used.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    I know a couple of guys that race those, they seem pretty happy. Those look like they can be a lot of bike for the money, especially used.
    It will be my next fs bike. Great value compared to the competitors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    A bit late, but check out a canyon lux, they are a direct to consumer brand so you get a better bike with better components for less. Probably won’t be able to find many used, but its another option that seems to be a pretty good one.