Do I have to be tall to enjoy a 29er?- Mtbr.com

May 2008

Do I have to be tall to enjoy a 29er?

I'm 6'0 and 200 lbs. I just ordered a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29. I am hoping that I made the right decision as I was going to order the regular Stumpjumper Comp but they only had the Ti (silver) color which I hate. Yes, I wound up ordering a 29er due to color avalability, flame on.

Anyhow, I'm 35. I love to ride street, fire roads, intermeditate single track, I love to climb, and love any type of cross country. I don't do big hits or drops or get real crazy. However I would like a bike that can handle some jumping should I decide to go there, but nothing crazy. So with all this said I'm hoping I made the right decision in buying the 29er. I'm not 6'4. Will I still love the bike? Why are 29ers so popular exactly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieizme
    Will I still love the bike? Why are 29ers so popular exactly?

Yes.

Your gonna find out.
    And a good day to you sir!

Keep pedaling

New question here.

I'm 6'0 and 200 lbs. ...
    Why are 29ers so popular exactly?
    I'd like to know why 26ers are still so popular with so may riders like you who would fit better on a 29er. Why were you considering a 26er?

(Just curious.)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm 5'11' and 220 or so, with about a 31 inch inseam. I worried about being on the short side for a 29er, but I was worrying for no reason. I picked up a Raleigh xxix 29er SS, and love it.

I think you will be surprised by the climbing -- my other bike is an ibis mojo, which I love. It climbs great too, but nothing like a rigid 29er. Of course, it is a SS, so you have no choice but to climb out of the saddle (or walk). Still, I'm pushing a much taller gear on the 29er than I would on the mojo. I'm completely sold on 29 -- if Ibis made a 29er mojo, I'd buy it. For now, though, I'm really happy with a FS 26 and rigid 29er.

Just here for the scenery
    No way you made a mistake, six-oh is smack in the middle of the 29er-suitable height range, and you're gonna get to evaluate the claims and decide for yourself.

If you don't like it after a few weeks you've got a solid bike with excellent resale value (i.e. not a custom and not a niche item like a rigid singlespeed), and you can move onto something else that you prefer.

I predict you'll like it, though...

Eddy

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat
    I'd like to know why 26ers are still so popular with so may riders like you who would fit better on a 29er. Why were you considering a 26er?

(Just curious.)

I have to be honest I knew nothing about 29ers up until last week. I was told they were all the rage but that was it. I was in the market for a new hard tail as I decided a few months ago that FS bikes were simply not for me due to their lack of climbing ability and the fact that I am not a big "hit" or "drop" guy, and my balls are not as big as I'd like them to be. So I sold my FS Stumpy Expert and purchased a Specialized Rockhopper Disc from my local bike dealer. I took it home and started researching the bike which is typical for me (buy something then research it).

After posting a few questions on this forum about upgrading components on the Rockhopper I along with other posters came to the conclusion that I needed more bike. I called my dealer and asked if I could swap out the Rockhopper for Stumpjumper HT. He said no problem. This is where I ran into choosing between the 26 and 29er. The 26 only came in Gray which I hate, so I took a stab at the 29 and ordered it. I'm hoping I made the right decision. I'd still like to hear anyones take as the benefits and differences of a 29er V.S. a 26er.

mtbr member
    . I'm hoping I made the right decision. I'd still like to hear anyones take as the benefits and differences of a 29er V.S. a 26er.

In all seriousness, I love my 29ers and whenever I get on my sole 26er it just feels like a kids bike to me. Mind you, I rode 26ers for 15 some odd years and loved every second
    of it. When I got my first 29er I really didn't know anything much about them either and was more into the single speed side of it. I can tell you from my own experience that I am still blown away in many situations at how much I prefer how it handles. The whole
    keeping up your speed and maintaining the momentum of those wheels is pure sweetness. Jim.
    And a good day to you sir!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think you have to be short to really enjoy the benefits of the 29er platform. For example I love the smell of tires and with the tires being so close to my nose it is a great experience.

Plus by being short the wheels look so much bigger in comparison, so people will absolutely for sure know you are riding a 29er.

Other than being able to dunk and reach the top shelves in the cupboard, being tall is sooooo over rated!
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    After riding a 29er, a fixed monstercross bike, and a track bike for several months, my 26" bike did, indeed, feel like a toy. Sort of like riding my nephew's 20" wheeled bike. That being said, when I readjusted I still enjoyed it.

How is a 29er different from a 26" bike? Its a totally different bike with a totally different riding style. Its sort of like the difference between driving an AWD car and a RWD car; both are fast, but have different places to brake, steer, and accelerate. The 26/29er thing is much the same. On a 26" bike it seems I lean into the corner more gradually, following a wider arc. With the 29er I enter with more speed, turn later, and let the big wheels rail through. Superbike vs. Dirt track? I don't know. I do know that the 29er (rigid SS, 32/20) climbs like no other, jumps over log piles, floats over anything less than a foot, and bombs down the hills. I love it, and wouldn't consider not having it in my stable.

-Rob.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    no... but you have to be a little mental :P

highly visible
    I'm with richwolf. I'm 5'7" and look like a little kid on my big-wheeled bike. That way everyone knows I'm riding a 29er! :P
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Members who have read this thread: 0