Discs on Monocog 29- Mtbr.com
    bikerpilot

Discs on Monocog 29

I decided to do some upgrades to my Monocog 29 for fun and picked up a pair of Magura Martas to put on. I had to get the adapter for the front of course but that seems to have worked fine, but I'm having trouble with the rear. The caliper hits the frame unless I put a washer between the two, which pushes the caliper too far inboard and makes it rub the rotor badly. Even with the washer, I don't get full adjustability within the lengths of the slots where the caliper mounts, designed to let the caliper be positioned to match the wheel front/rear in the dropouts. Has anybody else seen this problem or am I doing something wrong?

My wife has Avid Juicy 5s on her Epic, I could swap those for the Maguras and give her a nice upgrade (right?), the Juicy 5s look like they would work with the Monocog frame. Has anybody tried that combo? Other option is to swap them with the Juicy Ultimates off my Stumpjumper but I don't think I want to go that route as it's my main bike and I like those brakes and they're trouble free.

Thanks for any help, yes I did a search but found nothing on the subject.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I ran into that same problem with my Monocog 29 when putting on BB7s. I put washers in and it was fine -- I wondered if others had this problem with this bike also???

mtbr member
    Is the rear caliper a 51mm IS mount? Doesn't use an adaptor on the rear?

I've got a pair of Marta SLs, and ran into the same sort of trouble on my Rig. Luckily, I needed to space the caliper inwards anyway.

I'll be the Juicy 5's will work with your frame...I'd bet the rear caliper is a 74mm post mount that uses an adaptor to work with the 51mm mounts on the frame. The adaptor will space the caliper away from the frame's disc mount enough to make it work.

The question is then will the Marta's work with your wife's bike, and are the hoses on the Juicy 5s long enough for your bike? The hose issue might not be a problem if you ride similar sizes, but it is an issue for my wife and I.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i used hope mono minis with no issue on mine...

bikerpilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Is the rear caliper a 51mm IS mount? Doesn't use an adaptor on the rear?

I've got a pair of Marta SLs, and ran into the same sort of trouble on my Rig. Luckily, I needed to space the caliper inwards anyway.

I'll be the Juicy 5's will work with your frame...I'd bet the rear caliper is a 74mm post mount that uses an adaptor to work with the 51mm mounts on the frame. The adaptor will space the caliper away from the frame's disc mount enough to make it work.

The question is then will the Marta's work with your wife's bike, and are the hoses on the Juicy 5s long enough for your bike? The hose issue might not be a problem if you ride similar sizes, but it is an issue for my wife and I.
    Correct there is no adapter on the rear. I'm not 100% on my naming conventions but I believe it's an IS mount as you said. You're right the Juicy 5s use an adapter with the CPS system that looks like it would push the caliper away from the frame mount so it would clear. It looks like the Martas would work with her frame and I'm sure the hose would be long enough, but good question would her hose be long enough for my bike (Women's M vs. 21"). Hmmm, might have to try it.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

bikerpilot
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowme17
    i used hope mono minis with no issue on mine...
    Thanks for the info. Would be nice if others could maybe post brakes they'd used without issue on Monocog 29 frames, so if I have to pursue another system I'll know what to look for.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

Bicycle Addict
    I have a '07 Monocog that I put Avid Elixir 3's on. No problems. What year is your frame?

" width="549">

" width="549">
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

bikerpilot
    Mine is also an '07. Looks like the Juicy 5s with the necessary adapter like your Elixirs would be fine.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have an 08 cog and put Hayes disks on with the help of some spacers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB
    " width="549">
    I put BB7's on my monocog, and had no issues other than needing the washers under the screw heads (just like J3SSEB's shown above). This is because the steel disk tabs are thinner than aluminum ones, so the end of the screw was hitting the rotor.
    More info here.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmosis
    I put BB7's on my monocog, and had no issues other than needing the washers under the screw heads (just like J3SSEB's shown above). This is because the steel disk tabs are thinner than aluminum ones, so the end of the screw was hitting the rotor.
    More info here.

I had to do this with my Monocog 2 years ago when setting up the BB7s. Threw some old washers on there just to get it working, thought I might have been crazy or had a frame out of whack

Members who have read this thread: 0