• 07-19-2012
    AlexxM
    Did I buy too small of a frame?
    Well I have had my bike for about half a year now and love the bike in general. However a buddy of mine just got the same bike but he got the 17.5" model and is a few inches shorter than me. I have the 15.5" model of the Trekk 8.3 DS and am 5'9". He is about 5'6" and has the 17.5" model. He tells me that is the size made for his height and mine too.

So I did some asking around and in general people seem to say get the 17.5" model.

Really bumming me out because I spent so much on this bike it sucks to hear that I got the wrong size.

Like I said I love the bike but can't help but feel I cheated myself out of a better riding experience.

Any thoughts?
  • 07-19-2012
    Nor-Cal-Mike
    Alot of people thought I was nuts buying a 15.5" frame and Im 5'10". It has more to do with your body porportions rather then just your height. I rode the 17.5" size and the 15.5" size of my bike and the 15.5" was a way better fit. Have you had to put a way longer stem or a layback seat post with the seat all the way back? Even if you have, if its comfortable screw the "rule of thumb" and ride what you have.
    Regards, Mike.
  • 07-19-2012
    Bwick84
    The real question is, does it feel like it fits? If it does, who cares? I am 5'9 as well and would have a hard time riding a 16" bike, but as Mike said it depends on your body proportions. Ride yours and then ride your buddy's. Which one feels better?
  • 07-19-2012
    AlexxM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nor-Cal-Mike View Post
    Alot of people thought I was nuts buying a 15.5" frame and Im 5'10". It has more to do with your body porportions rather then just your height. I rode the 17.5" size and the 15.5" size of my bike and the 15.5" was a way better fit. Have you had to put a way longer stem or a layback seat post with the seat all the way back? Even if you have, if its comfortable screw the "rule of thumb" and ride what you have.
    Regards, Mike.

Nope I actually have the stock stem and seat still, don't even have it raised all the way and I am fairly comfortable. Thank you for you post really puts me at ease. :)

I noticed that when I went back to the bike shop and tried the 17.5 I didn't notice much difference other than the standup height is well, really uncomfortable in the crotch area, so that is one thing that made me happy I got the smaller frame.
  • 07-19-2012
    Nor-Cal-Mike
    For me the 17.5" frame had to much top tube length. Made me feel as if I was on a road bike, and I hate the feel of road bikes. What Ive learned in my biking experience is dont worry about what others say is the "correct" size or style or type of frame or any thing else for that matter. I ride my "to small" 29er with a "short" xc stem and "down hill" style bars. But it fits me like a glove and I don't care if some people say it's "wrong".
    Regards, Mike.
  • 07-19-2012
    LyNx
    That right there is the simple answer and you might even be surprised that your buddy says he's bought the wrong size and have the 15.5" like you. If by chance this happens and you like his 17.5", just swap the frames and keep your original components so he has his new ones and you your used ones ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwick84 View Post
    The real question is, does it feel like it fits? If it does, who cares? I am 5'9 as well and would have a hard time riding a 16" bike, but as Mike said it depends on your body proportions. Ride yours and then ride your buddy's. Which one feels better?

• 07-19-2012
    Varaxis
    This article is somewhat related and can offer some insight.

Does Your Mountain Bike Feel Good? Why Test Riding mtb's is a waste of time! - BetterRide.net
  • 07-19-2012
    DFYFZX
    There's a guy on these forums riding a Medium sized Yeti SB-95 and he's 6'4". If he went with the "sizing chart" he should be on an XL! He loves it, jumps it, drops it, etc. and couldn't be happier. If you feel comfortable and like your bike, ride it! I'm 6'0" with a 36" inseam and shorter arms so by all rights I need an XL seat tube and a M reach. There isn't a perfect stock size but I make do and have had a blast riding the past 5 years by simply swapping stems and seatposts to get me where I need to be. If I had the budget I'd go full custom but I don't. Hasn't stopped me from loving the sport:)
  • 07-19-2012
    AlexxM
    Glad I posted here. I really was going by what others told me instead of what I actually like and enjoy. After all the 17.5" bike was sitting right next to mine when I bought it and I rode them both. This one stuck and I like it. Thanks for the reassurance.

Kind of like when the sales person pressured me into buying the no glue patches when my gut told me to get the glue ones. The no glue patch lasted maybe a week before a slow leak happened. Went back and bought what I wanted and it is still holding air.

Again thanks guys. Can't tell you how much this helped me.
  • 07-19-2012
    eurospek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    There's a guy on these forums riding a Medium sized Yeti SB-95 and he's 6'4". If he went with the "sizing chart" he should be on an XL! He loves it, jumps it, drops it, etc. and couldn't be happier.

Are you referring to Whafe from New Zealand? Clearly that SB-95 was too small for him (AND a demo), :D even comparing to his pimp Nicolai 29er frameset.

In terms of size, one can look at geo sheets all day long and go back and forth about size, but throwing a leg over and getting a ride is definitely more beneficial to picking size.

I was in between sizes on the Honzo, was stuck between the 20" and 20" Long (being 6'4") but went with the latter and couldn't be happier (Kona rep said to get that size as well), even when guys 6'6" are riding the smaller 20" frame and are content as well with their choice.
  • 07-19-2012
    ginty
    I'm 6'1 and ride a 17.5

I would have thought I should have a XL or XXL but I've got short legs and long arms.

Size isn't about what someone tells you fits, it about what feels like it fits!
  • 07-19-2012
    FineNine
    I am only 5'9" and I bought a large Niner Air 9. According to my height, I should have went with a Medium. However, I have long arms and they feel a lot more comfortable on the Large. I say the best way is to ride them and see how you feel. Don't worry about what size it is. I use the suggested size as a starting point for me.
  • 07-21-2012
    bamwa
    im not very tall but like the large frames when I should be on a medium