Deviate Cycles- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deviate Cycles

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Deviate Cycles

Thought I would start a thread for Deviate Cycles. They just launched the Highlander and, boy, it is a looker!

I don't own any of their bikes but plan to pick up the Highlander once an XL frame is available.

What do you guys think of this new bike?

https://www.deviatecycles.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I've got a Guide, and preordered a Highlander a couple of months ago, having demoed a pre production model last year.

They're amazing. The Guide descends like nothing else I've ridden, short of a HPP Gearbox DH bike

(27.5 but still)
    The gearbox one by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

Definitely think the Highlander is the better looking bike, mind. Also, the lack of gearbox makes it much better for trail riding. I've always found the shifting on the pinion a little slow (perhaps unfairly, as comparing it to XX1 & AXS) and it takes a bit more thinking about than derailleur gears, and isn't ideal if you are on undulating, unfamiliar trails where you can't plan as far ahead for shifting. Great for winch and plummet though.

Properly sold on high pivots with an idler too. Anyone that says pedal kickback doesn't exist hasn't ridden a bike where it genuinely doesn't.

high pivot witchcraft
    Good to see more companies pushing the boundaries on the HSP front. I love my Druid, ATXZJ loves his Commencal Supreme SX, and I bet the Highlander rocks.

But for the fact that I have a local Forbidden dealer who treats me very well (and that Forbidden is rumoured to be coming out with a longer travel HSP bike by late summer), I would be very interested in throwing down on the Highlander.

Well done Deviate.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I was curious about the high pivot concept, got chatting to Ben and Chris. These guys are passionate about their bikes and have the skills to back it up. For a small manufacturer I immediately had a lot of confidence in them. They very kindly lent me a pre production Highlander for a weekend.

It was great to see such engineering attention to detail in the frame like the bearing seals and grease ports for the idler. Everything has been so well thought out with longevity in mind. My impressions are it's a very capable and very impressive bike. I have tried a few trail bikes recently and I would say it fits into that space between trail and enduro. The handling was perfectly balanced and instantly user friendly. The bike is, just as they claim, unstoppable over chunk and also climbs very well. It felt easy to carve flat turns and just keep momentum no matter what. The rear has just the right amount of progression to catch the bigger hits, it never told me to back off, I just ran out of skill to test it's limits. Big thumbs up from me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just placed my order for a medium Highlander in blue. Looking like it'll be 8-10 weeks before I'll lay my hands on it (who know's with all that's going on at the moment tho). Happy to share my experience, when I build it up.

Some background: I'm 5'10" 170lbs coming off a large FollowingV1. Demo'd Offering, Forbidden Druid, and SC HighTower looking for something w/ a little more margin in terms of downhill capability. Thought Offering would be an easy pick, and it would've been, had I not rode the Druid. The one I rode wasn't as supple off the top as I would've liked and the drag from the idler and chain guide was noticeable (not significant, but enough). I'm confident I could've tweaked more sensitivity off the top if I had more time w/ it, but the drag is probably not going to get much better. Otherwise, I was blown away by how easy it was to maintain momentum in the chunky stuff (w/ 130mm), size specific chainstays and the stability in turns and g-outs due to the extending wheelbase. My hesitation w/ the Druid, aside from the drag, was that it has 130mm (even though it rides like it has 140+). I feel like the backend is so good that it wouldn't lose anything going to 140 and up. I even got interested in the unreleased Kavenz (https://vhp16.kavenz.de/landing-page), but it's probably too much bike for me.

Long story short, I'm hoping the Highlander is my goldilocks bike. Pulled the trigger blind - really hoping I made the right decision...
    Last edited by teknospeed; 03-12-2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: not Following Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by teknospeed View Post
    Just placed my order for a medium Highlander in blue. Looking like it'll be 8-10 weeks before I'll lay my hands on it (who know's with all that's going on at the moment tho). Happy to share my experience, when I build it up.

Some background: I'm 5'10" 170lbs coming off a large FollowingV1. Demo'd Offering, Following Druid, and SC HighTower looking for something w/ a little more margin in terms of downhill capability. Thought Offering would be an easy pick, and it would've been, had I not rode the Druid. The one I rode wasn't as supple off the top as I would've liked and the drag from the idler and chain guide was noticeable (not significant, but enough). I'm confident I could've tweaked more sensitivity off the top if I had more time w/ it, but the drag is probably not going to get much better. Otherwise, I was blown away by how easy it was to maintain momentum in the chunky stuff (w/ 130mm), size specific chainstays and the stability in turns and g-outs due to the extending wheelbase. My hesitation w/ the Druid, aside from the drag, was that it has 130mm (even though it rides like it has 140+). I feel like the backend is so good that it wouldn't lose anything going to 140 and up. I even got interested in the unreleased Kavenz (https://vhp16.kavenz.de/landing-page), but it's probably too much bike for me.

Long story short, I'm hoping the Highlander is my goldilocks bike. Pulled the trigger blind - really hoping I made the right decision...
    Congrats! You must be super stoked. Wow.

My bet is that you are going to be blown away. Keep us posted!
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Some background: I'm 5'10" 170lbs coming off a large FollowingV1. Demo'd Offering, Forbidden Druid, and SC HighTower looking for something w/ a little more margin in terms of downhill capability. Thought Offering would be an easy pick, and it would've been, had I not rode the Druid. The one I rode wasn't as supple off the top as I would've liked and the drag from the idler and chain guide was noticeable (not significant, but enough). I'm confident I could've tweaked more sensitivity off the top if I had more time w/ it, but the drag is probably not going to get much better. Otherwise, I was blown away by how easy it was to maintain momentum in the chunky stuff (w/ 130mm), size specific chainstays and the stability in turns and g-outs due to the extending wheelbase. My hesitation w/ the Druid, aside from the drag, was that it has 130mm (even though it rides like it has 140+). I feel like the backend is so good that it wouldn't lose anything going to 140 and up. I even got interested in the unreleased Kavenz (https://vhp16.kavenz.de/landing-page), but it's probably too much bike for me.

Congrats! What direction are you going with the build? More trail or enduro focused etc?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'll be really eager see how people like this bike. It's on the very top of my interest list right now.

I'm moving from the tightish New England woods with their roots and rocks, to Nevada with its looser, rougher, bigger terrain and want to upgrade my V1 Bronson. While this isn't too extreme in its geo, it seems like it could hold its own on bigger terrain while remaining pedalable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Howard View Post
    Congrats! What direction are you going with the build? More trail or enduro focused etc?
    Light-duro 160 Fox36 in front, X2 in the back. 12speed XT drivetrain, ARC30 rims laced around Onyx Vesper hubs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Light-duro 160 Fox36 in front, X2 in the back. 12speed XT drivetrain, ARC30 rims laced around Onyx Vesper hubs.
    Nice. Think I'm going to go more trail, so as not to overlap with the Guide, still 36 and X2, but I may drop the fork down to 140, and swap the X2 with the DPX2 that's already in the Guide. No harm in trying, can always put in a slacker headset if it messes with the geo too much. Currently mulling over wheel choices, but trying to keep them in the 30mm internal, 1500g range. Hoping I can get the whole lot under 30lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice. Think I'm going to go more trail, so as not to overlap with the Guide, still 36 and X2, but I may drop the fork down to 140, and swap the X2 with the DPX2 that's already in the Guide. No harm in trying, can always put in a slacker headset if it messes with the geo too much. Currently mulling over wheel choices, but trying to keep them in the 30mm internal, 1500g range. Hoping I can get the whole lot under 30lbs
    If you have both, I could definitely see going lighter with the highlander. Would be awesome to keep it under 30lbs with a 36, X2 and 2.5" rubber.

Having rode both, could you share some thoughts about how the highlander's rear end feels in comparison to the guide given that the guide has less unsprung mass? Your guide looks insane (and fun) btw. How's the build quality in general with the deviate bikes? Looking for any kind of info on the company and the bikes to keep the stoke alive and have a positive distraction from all the craziness atm. Also cause first hand experience is hard to come by here in California

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    So the Guide descends like no 160mm bike deserves to. The rearward axle path, the lack of pedal kickback, and the ease with which the suspension moves means that ploughing through rock gardens is a joy, you never feel the rear wheel get caught up on square edge stuff. it just feels bottomless. I guess the sprung vs unsprung mass will have a fair bit to do with that too, what with the gearbox moving the weight towards the middle of the bike, It also means it corners like it's on rails.

The Highlander is similar, it feel like it has more travel than 140mm, it just feels a bit more taught, you can feel more of what's going on under you. More of a sports car than a Rolls Royce, which is exactly what i want from a trail bike, something that feels fast and responsive, rather than a magic carpet which is better on the climbs as you feel like what you are putting down is going to the trail, as being kind, climbing isn't the Guide's strong suite, you just pick a low gear and cadence, then eventually you'll get to the top. With he Highlander it feels a lot more direct. It's fair bit lighter too. My Guide is 35/36 lbs, the Highlander i rode was 31ish, like i say I'm aiming to go a chunk lower still. It still has that noticeable lack of pedal kickback too, like i said, people who say its a myth, haven't ridden a bike that genuinely doesn't have it. I think ditching the pinion for this bike is a good thing, as i explained previously, it also give people fewer reasons to not want one if you see what I mean.

As for the build quality, I was pretty impressed. Its not quite up there with the absolute best (no internal tubes for cable routing, for example), but pretty good, you can tell that thought has gone into the details, and I think what they've done with the external routing on the highlander (hiding it in a channel under the top tube) is a great middle ground they've also increase the size of the idler pulley to reduce noise an friction, though i can't say it was an issue for me on the guide. My criticisms of the Guide are that the cranks run VERY close to the swingarm, meaning any muck will rub pretty quick (i'm solving this with custom cranks, but that's not for everyone, yet) and the 135x10 rear spacing limits hub choice a bit, esp if you want a single speed hub. No such issues with the Highlander.

The company really is just two guys, Chris (the designer) and Ben (sales), Im sure you'll have read about their backgrounds. I've met Ben a coupe of times now and he's a really good guy, really keen and happy to answer any questions or concerns, while being a very handy rider. Chris is great too, Offering help in the design process of my cranks (they aren't quite ready yet) and helped as much as he could when i was fitting trigger shifters, that he's had a bit of involvement in the testing of. both guys really couldn't be more helpful.

Hope that helps, I'm really trying not to come across as a total fanboi, but its difficult when the product is this good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Absolutely. Being passionate and supporting a couple guys who put out innovative products that hang with the big boys and believe in what they do is rad Hopefully, the more conventional drivetrain of the Highlander will make the bike more approachable to a wider audience. So they can continue to put out cool bikes...

BTW, how was the crank spacing on the highlander - any better? I'm keen to feel how the larger idler performs vs. what I rode on the Druid. Reviews say that it's silent and doesn't add noticeable drag. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

BTW, how was the crank spacing on the highlander - any better? I'm keen to feel how the larger idler performs vs. what I rode on the Druid. Reviews say that it's silent and doesn't add noticeable drag. Fingers crossed.
    I didn't notice either, so I guess that's as good an indication as any that there's no issue. At least with the Highlander you can just change cranks if there's an issue, It's a bit more difficult with the Guide and it's Pinion.

Larger idler is good, but I never had an issue with the smaller one on the Guide (they do an upgrade kit for it, I haven't bothered.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Another gushing fanboi post from me I'm afraid.

With the release of the new Fox stuff, I was a little put out that I wouldn't be getting the current fork and shock when my frame arrived in just over a week, due to when things would have been ordered etc, not the end of the world, the 2020 stuff is amazing, but y'know. Dropped a mail to Deviate saying I thought I knew the answer, but would it be at all possible to go for the newer 36?

Not a problem at all. Bike will come with 2021 36's and X2.

Will be a bit of a delay but its not like I have any big long epic rides in the mountains planned...

Lots of thumbs up from me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Another gushing fanboi post from me I'm afraid.

With the release of the new Fox stuff, I was a little put out that I wouldn't be getting the current fork and shock when my frame arrived in just over a week, due to when things would have been ordered etc, not the end of the world, the 2020 stuff is amazing, but y'know. Dropped a mail to Deviate saying I thought I knew the answer, but would it be at all possible to go for the newer 36?

Not a problem at all. Bike will come with 2021 36's and X2.

Will be a bit of a delay but its not like I have any big long epic rides in the mountains planned...

Lots of thumbs up from me.
    Nice! Glad I chose to take delivery of the frame with the deferred X2 shock then. Did they mention if the whole batch would be 2021 or just yours specifically? Guess can't hurt to confirm myself as well. Too late for me on the 36 unfortunately. First world problems, sheesh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Nice! Glad I chose to take delivery of the frame with the deferred X2 shock then. Did they mention if the whole batch would be 2021 or just yours specifically? Guess can't hurt to confirm myself as well. Too late for me on the 36 unfortunately. First world problems, sheesh.
    I would drop them a mail, just to be sure. Indeed, I really wouldn’t be disappointed with a 2020 fork or shock and had fully expected it to be to late to change, but given the choice...

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Very interested in the Highlander and looking forward until the first shipments happen so I can read on your findings and experiences.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    So I dropped an email over the boys at Deviate. I wanted to know when the XL's would be available. Ben was kind enough to respond and provided me an updated Geo chart that includes the XL sizing.

At 6'3 I am traditionally in the XL range for most bikes. I currently ride an XL Yeti 5.5, but it feels small at times even with a 60mm stem and 40mm riser bars. Aside from CS and Reach, the XL Highlander has Geo numbers that are VERY similar to an XL Yeti SB130LR; a bike that I have spent some time on recently and loved.

So I am not sure if I should be considering a Large or XL Highlander. The stack seems very short on the Large which is my biggest concern.
    Last edited by hookem34; 04-21-2020 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    I placed an order too. Going for the blue Highlander with the 150mm link and a full Enduro build.

AXS/XTR12 drivetrain, Formula Selva Coil, DHX2 2021, Pi_Rope AL30 wheels, Trickstuff DRT brakes, so basically all the parts swapped over from my Megatower apart from the headset and the rear shock.

Bike Check.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by niconj View Post
    I placed an order too. Going for the blue Highlander with the 150mm link and a full Enduro build.

AXS/XTR12 drivetrain, Formula Selva Coil, DHX2 2021, Pi_Rope AL30 wheels, Trickstuff DRT brakes, so basically all the parts swapped over from my Megatower apart from the headset and the rear shock.

Bike Check.
    Congrats! Anxiously waiting for an shipping email from Scotland
    Those wheels look rad! How do they ride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Bike Check.
    That certainly is a very nice build, curious to read how it will pan out..
    I have a Yellow Medium on order which I will build up more to the trail spectrum, air fork and damper, and a bit cheaper also (XT and no Trickstuff brakes &#128521.
    I have been thinking about the Pi Rope AL30 wheels as well. They certainly seem very good, hubs, spokes (I am still riding Spynergy now) and rims. But in my opinion the markup for the textile spokes compared to the same wheelset with regular spokes from Newmen is just too high to justify the cost, more than a 500 euro markup only for the spokes.. Hopefully this cost will come down, as they do sound great though..

mtbr member
    Congrats! Anxiously waiting for an shipping email from Scotland
    Those wheels look rad! How do they ride?
    For me it's gonna be another 6 weeks as the links have to be produced still...

Wheels are good and take away some of the vibration going over small stuff. Spokes need some TLC though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I *think* the first batch is in now. Just waiting on all the bits to hang off it, Fox stuff is 5 weeks off, same for DT XMC wheels, hope to have Trickstuff brakes arrive by Xmas... (got something to use in the mean time though)

Good things/waiting etc

Be interested to hear how it rides with a coil.

mtbr member
    Be interested to hear how it rides with a coil.
    According to some nerds on our German forum, the Highlander's leverage curve should be more coil friendly. For a standard air shock (probably not the X2):

- less sensitivity (duh...)
    - sagging in the mid stroke area and high progression at the end (-> too much riding in the progression area)
    - with a MegNeg (optimized shock), better mid stroke support but too much progression at the end

Now wether this is true or not, I cannot say. I talked to Ben at Deviate and he said that for a more Enduro oriented ride, the DHX2 will work really well.

Quote Originally Posted by BEN from Deviate
    We've decided to try and keep the leverage ratio linear until past the dynamic sag point to make the small bump performance really great with ramp up on big hits towards the end of the travel. We like a linear action at first and into the mid stroke as it feels bottomless and supple during normal riding. This is one of the reasons that riders can't believe they are riding "only" a 140mm bike. It's only on big hits or compressions that the progressiveness really comes into play. Remember the reason people like coil shocks so much is their linear nature which give great small bump performance and a really controlled feel. Our linear through start and mid stroke and progressive into end stroke leverage curve gives the Highlander a "coil" suspension feel through the mid stroke and ramps up like an air spring on big hits - best of both worlds. Incidentally it works great with a coil or an air shock - although for slightly difference end uses and the current design to designed around an air spring. However, we're making a slightly longer (150mm) and more progressive linkage which will be released soon for those wanting to run coil shocks.

If you compare our leverage curve to the Druid - you'll see that although our curve stays flat at the start- the ends of the curves are very similar and overall progression is nearly identical at 27%. Also remember we have another 10mm of travel to play with which allows us to keep things supple in mid travel.

Compared to the Megatower - depending on the set-up it achieves progression of between 26.8% up to 31.5% through it's travel - so not really a big difference You'd only really run it at max progression with a coil shock (more progression required as the shock itself is linear). The settings recommended for air shocks achieve around a 27% progression so virtually the same as us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    What sort of coil that can fit the Highlander frame would be recommended for a supple, compliant ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiauguinho View Post
    What sort of coil that can fit the Highlander frame would be recommended for a supple, compliant ride?
    Any coil really I suppose.

mtbr member
    Rough draft.

Deviate Cycles-deviate_highlander_020220_jiv-34.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Rough draft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deviate_Highlander_020220_JIV-34.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	356.9 KB 
ID:	1327021
    Beautiful bike. I think that in the end, the Highlander will be out of my preferred price range, but there is no bike that I drool over more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Beautiful bike. I think that in the end, the Highlander will be out of my preferred price range, but there is no bike that I drool over more.
    I have to admit, that I find other bikes better looking (Raaw Madonna V2 amongst others) but I have gone a long way already from not liking the Highlander at all, to loving it a lot.

I currently run a Megatower (as already mentioned) and get along with it well. The only complain that I have is, that going quickly over roots isn't as comfortable as I would like it to be. The high pivot should remedy that and looking at the geo, it is close to what the MT has.

What I like more is:

Bearings are better sealed. SC seems to build their bikes for good weather only. After only 8 months of riding, the bearings of the lower link have to be swapped already. I get them for free but still have to go through the hassle to swap them.

Taking out the shock is a pain in the ass on the MT.

Tire clearance of 2.8''. I don't run tires that wide but in the MT the "Der Kaiser 2.4" would rub its dirt off of the frame.

External routing. Of course, you would not swap your brake that often so that it really matters but I like external cables more.

As a sidenote: The promotional video in bad weather is so cool! You always see bikes being promoted in perfect conditions but most of the time I ride in the rain, mud, misty weather (just like in the video).

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have to admit, that I find other bikes better looking (Raaw Madonna V2 amongst others) but I have gone a long way already from not liking the Highlander at all, to loving it a lot.

I currently run a Megatower (as already mentioned) and get along with it well. The only complain that I have is, that going quickly over roots isn't as comfortable as I would like it to be. The high pivot should remedy that and looking at the geo, it is close to what the MT has.

What I like more is:

Bearings are better sealed. SC seems to build their bikes for good weather only. After only 8 months of riding, the bearings of the lower link have to be swapped already. I get them for free but still have to go through the hassle to swap them.

Taking out the shock is a pain in the ass on the MT.

Tire clearance of 2.8''. I don't run tires that wide but in the MT the "Der Kaiser 2.4" would rub its dirt off of the frame.

External routing. Of course, you would not swap your brake that often so that it really matters but I like external cables more.

As a sidenote: The promotional video in bad weather is so cool! You always see bikes being promoted in perfect conditions but most of the time I ride in the rain, mud, misty weather (just like in the video).
    Funny you should mention the Raaw Madonna V2. It's the other bike that I just love the looks of (with the Propain Tyee and Forbidden Druid coming in next). The Raaw just seems a bit too big for everyday riding if I only have one bike though, so the Highlander is the current dream bike.

I'm also a fan of external routing and weather resistance, though I'm about to move to the desert, so the latter might not matter as much to me going forward.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

mtbr member
    Kinda sounds like their review of the MT. Calling for speed and not so subtle on the slow rough stuff. I hardly believe this though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    @Tom Howard, I was a bit surprised there wasn't a single mention of the lack of pedal feedback in the pinkbike review. I previously owned a guide and have never ridden a bike that eliminates pedal feedback like the Guide (including a commencal HP DH bike). Perhaps that's because I ride flat pedals and the pinkbike reviewer does not.

As you've ridden the Highlander and own a guide, how does the pedal feedback compare between the 2 bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by csm024 View Post
    @Tom Howard, I was a bit surprised there wasn't a single mention of the lack of pedal feedback in the pinkbike review. I previously owned a guide and have never ridden a bike that eliminates pedal feedback like the Guide (including a commencal HP DH bike). Perhaps that's because I ride flat pedals and the pinkbike reviewer does not.

As you've ridden the Highlander and own a guide, how does the pedal feedback compare between the 2 bikes?
    I didn't particularly notice a difference to be honest. That said, it was almost 6 months ago that I rode the Highlander now... should be here in a few weeks so will report back then!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I didn't particularly notice a difference to be honest. That said, it was almost 6 months ago that I rode the Highlander now... should be here in a few weeks so will report back then!
    Thanks, Tom! Interested to hear your feedback once you get the bike.

mtbr member
    I'm especially curious as to how the pedal feedback or the lack of it for that matter, will feel like.

Quote Originally Posted by csm024 View Post
    Thanks, Tom! Interested to hear your feedback once you get the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Cool shot of the linkage assembly:

mtbr member
    Yeah. That's me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Is that the 150mm linkage?

mtbr member
    Is that the 150mm linkage?
    As far as I know, yes. But Ben told me that you won't be able to differentiate the two by only looking at them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah. That's me.
    Nice! Thanks for posting, been looking for a clear view of the linkage! Interesting to see the lower shock mount is *sideways (vs. on the same plane as the rest of the links).

Did Ben mention any trade offs in running the 150 vs 140 link?

mtbr member
    Nice! Thanks for posting, been looking for a clear view of the linkage! Interesting to see the lower shock mount is *sideways (vs. on the same plane as the rest of the links).

Did Ben mention any trade offs in running the 150 vs 140 link?
    Well, a 140mm Highlander will be closer to a trailbike, a 150mm one more an Enduro rig. If you want to call this a tradeoff, then it is one. The 150mm version is supposed to be slightly more progressive and coil friendly.

Ben wrote about the review:

"We've tried to design a bike to blur the trail/all-mountain/enduro categories and from their review I think Pinkbike agree that's what we've done. The enduro riders trail bike is the way we look at it!"

In a comment to the review he wrote:

"We've had more than a few riders after a demo - decide that the Highlander replaces both their trail bike and their enduro bike."

I'm curious as to whether this is true. About my MT he wrote:

"The Megatower wouldn't even get close to the trail category."

I don't think that the MT is a bad bike. I like how it climbs and descends. The only thing I really have to complain about is the pedal feedback. It's too much when pedaling fast over roots and also when riding over chattery stuff.

The 150mm Highlander is not far from what my MT is when you look at the numbers:

If Ben is right, the Highlander will be the better Megatower.

I'm going to ride a dual coil setup, so weight is no concern here. It'll still weigh less than 15kg which is good for a bike in this category.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deviate Cycles-bildschirmfoto-2020-04-30-um-21.15.14.png  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'd love to know the geometry of the XL. Any chance you could post it here?

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    I've also ordered a 'Mango' Highlander L (5'11") after a very very wet demo in Wharncliffe Woods, it was instantly obvious that this was a bit special. I too have a Megatower and a mk1 Hightower. I'm planning to build with Fox X2 and 160mm Lyrik. Then swapping Reserve 27 and Hope brakes from the Mk1. Hope Evo Crank and Shimano 12 sp shifting. AXS Dropper off the Meg. (Thats the beauty of AXS dropper you can swap between bikes in seconds) The Megatower is a great bike gives me loads of confidence to jump and drop 'bigger' and with the EXT Coil grip is phenomenal its great somewhere like BPW However...on a lot of 'medium' stuff the old Hightower is quicker (or rather I'm quicker on it) The Meg takes a lot to keep it hauling. So I'm going for light enduro with the Highlander, hoping its the sweet spot for my particular needs. (Plus getting a SC out of the back of a T6 is so predictable!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbuchanan View Post
    I'd love to know the geometry of the XL. Any chance you could post it here?
    Sure.

Deviate Cycles-geo_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sure.

Name:	geo_1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	1330483
    Great! Thanks for that.

mtbr member
    As written on Instagram there will be a full Enduro race bike coming from them in the near future:

Quote Originally Posted by Deviate Cycles
    we've designed a 150mm linkage for the Highlander. It's designed to extend the range of the Highlander even more towards the enduro end of the spectrum while still maintaining a trail bike feel. We find that "proper" enduro bikes only excel on very steep and technical terrain and feel a bit dead on smoother trails and on big mountain rides. We have a "proper" enduro race bike in the longer term pipeline. A very different beast.

mtbr member
    Frames have arrived and are being shipped unless you have (like me) a Fox 2021 shock configured. These haven't reached GB yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Frames have arrived and are being shipped unless you have (like me) a Fox 2021 shock configured. These haven't reached GB yet.
    From the sounds of it, the UK Fox disti has messed them around a bit. They (Deviate) are hoping to get them in the next couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    That's unfortunate. I'm in no hurry though.

From the sounds of it, the UK Fox disti has messed them around a bit. They (Deviate) are hoping to get them in the next couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Sizing question: I’m 6’3 with a 34 inch inseam. The geo on the large looks like it might be a bit small in the reach and stack height department. I currently ride an XL Yeti 5.5 that feels a little small at times.

The reach on the XL seems quite long, but wheelbase, stack etc. seem perfect. Should I order an XL or Large?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm 6'3" and the reach looks ideal for me on the XL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
    Sizing question: I’m 6’3 with a 34 inch inseam. The geo on the large looks like it might be a bit small in the reach and stack height department. I currently ride an XL Yeti 5.5 that feels a little small at times.

The reach on the XL seems quite long, but wheelbase, stack etc. seem perfect. Should I order an XL or Large?
    Well... that's probably up to personal preferences. I'd go with the bigger though. At 5'11'' I could also have gone for the M but talked to Ben and he told me L would be a perfect fit. It looks almost like the geo of my MT with a slightly longer reach and wheelbase.

In your case the XL seems to be good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hello, guys.
    Can anybody show the grease ports?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Naman787 View Post
    Hello, guys.
    Can anybody show the grease ports?
    While we are at it, can anyone show his bike? Mine is still waiting for the Fox fork crossing the ocean by boat...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfHenk View Post
    While we are at it, can anyone show his bike? Mine is still waiting for the Fox fork crossing the ocean by boat...
    Same here just that it's the Fox DHX2. I am already thinking about switching to the cane creek coil. Any thoughts?

Mike555
    Sep 2019

Highlander First Rides

Hi Mines up and running, very very happy with it. Trying to upload pics but keep getting an upload fail error message.

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    Name:  IMG_2950.jpeg
Views: 185
Size:  55.3 KB

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    Deviate Cycles-img_2956.jpeg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hi,

I was looking for the headtube length, could not find it in the geometry charts. Could anybody measure a large frame. I would like to order some parts prior to receiving my frame ....

thanks

Torsten

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

New Bike Day!!!!!

Built up my frame this week and got the first ride in. Nothing chunky today, but roots just disappeared beneath me. I need to dial in a little more pop for the suppression; the bike wanted to stick the ground and the traction was excellent even though it was was wet and muddy today. It's a medium, which is great. The wheelbase is the same as the 2019 large Stumpjumper I had before this and more fun to ride. So so happy!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deviate Cycles-clean.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toubr View Post
    Hi,

I was looking for the headtube length, could not find it in the geometry charts. Could anybody measure a large frame. I would like to order some parts prior to receiving my frame ....

thanks

Torsten
    Ben told me it's 110mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Same here just that it's the Fox DHX2. I am already thinking about switching to the cane creek coil. Any thoughts?
    Mine is ordered with a CC DB IL Coil + VALT spring, which was something discussed and suggested by Ben considering the supple and compliant back end I wish to have.

Can't tell you how it feels yet though, soon hopefully.

mtbr member
    Mine is ordered with a CC DB IL Coil + VALT spring, which was something discussed and suggested by Ben considering the supple and compliant back end I wish to have.

Can't tell you how it feels yet though, soon hopefully.
    Is that the progressive or just the normal Valt spring?

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Is that the progressive or just the normal Valt spring?
    Normal linear VALT spring.

mtbr member
    Normal linear VALT spring.
    I'm thinking of just going X2 instead of DHX2. Both being the new 2021 version.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Congratulations Mike555 and rodzilla with your Highlander bikes! They do look terrific!
    I am curious to hear more of your initial findings, which makes the wait a bit easier for me ;-) .. Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    I have changed my order to a 2021 x2 and the 140mm link. I didn't want to wait and I can always go 150mm later if I don't like it.

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    Congratulations Mike555 and rodzilla with your Highlander bikes! They do look terrific!
    I am curious to hear more of your initial findings, which makes the wait a bit easier for me ;-) .. Enjoy the ride!
    I'm really happy, it has not disappoint. Its been easy to set up and push from the get go (apart from going back to Hope brakes they have taken a little getting used too, I have muscles in my forearms I had forgotten existed with my 4 pot XTR). I wanted something with a ride feel between my old mk1 Hightower and the Megatower. I find the Megatower capable and confidence inspiring but it is damned hard keeping it hustling along if you don't have gradient. The Highlander just seems to roll freely in comparison (And I've got DH Casing on the rear-will swap for lighter rubber shortly) For me its way easier to maintain speed and it feels so agile changing direction . Jumps and drops, I've hit everything I would on the Meg same with big chunky rock sections. Sure there is more feedback, it's a more dynamic ride but in a good way. When climbing everyone asks 'is it locked out?' It climbs great. I possibly have new bike syndrome the UK is bone dry, warm and trails are running fantastic and fast. The bike feels epic..... it might just be love .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
    I'm really happy, it has not disappoint. Its been easy to set up and push from the get go (apart from going back to Hope brakes they have taken a little getting used too, I have muscles in my forearms I had forgotten existed with my 4 pot XTR). I wanted something with a ride feel between my old mk1 Hightower and the Megatower. I find the Megatower capable and confidence inspiring but it is damned hard keeping it hustling along if you don't have gradient. The Highlander just seems to roll freely in comparison (And I've got DH Casing on the rear-will swap for lighter rubber shortly) For me its way easier to maintain speed and it feels so agile changing direction . Jumps and drops, I've hit everything I would on the Meg same with big chunky rock sections. Sure there is more feedback, it's a more dynamic ride but in a good way. When climbing everyone asks 'is it locked out?' It climbs great. I possibly have new bike syndrome the UK is bone dry, warm and trails are running fantastic and fast. The bike feels epic..... it might just be love .
    I thought that through the HPP there would be less (pedal) feedback than with the Megatower.

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    I thought that through the HPP there would be less (pedal) feedback than with the Megatower.
    There is no noticeable pedal feedback, really none, I was meaning more feedback in your hands and feet from the terrain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thank you for the "feedback" ;-) on the bike. Sounds like an absolute love affair indeed :-) .
    Seriously, all of that sounds great and exactly what I am looking for in the Highlander. Capable of challenging terrain, but still lively and fast enough to fully enjoy more mellow trails.

mtbr member
    There is no noticeable pedal feedback, really none, I was meaning more feedback in your hands and feet from the terrain.
    Feedback in my hands has gone down since I ride the Formula Selva Coil. Such a great fork. I'm actually happy about having gone back from wanting the 150mm version with a coil shock. 140mm is probably more than enough for what I ride.

Starting @6:36

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I'm building my Highlander as a comfortable and confidence inspiring all-day-out Trail bike.

Build spec:
    Deviate Highlander, Medium in Sunset Yellow
    RockShox PIKE Ultimate 2.1 RC2 150mm
    Cane Creek DB Coil IL Black Edition + VALT spring
    Cane Creek 70 Hellbender Headset
    Shimano XT M8100 12 speed Drivetrain
    Shimano XT M8120 4 Pot Brakes
    OneUp Dropper v2 + Remote
    OneUp EDC Stem, Handlebar and EDC Tool System
    DMR Vault Midi pedals
    DMR Deathgrip grips
    Hope Tech Bottom Bracket
    NEWMEN Evolution SL. A30 Wheelset with new FADE Hubs
    DHR II 29 2.6 for the Rough, Forekaster 2.35 for going around local trails
    Invisiframe to keep frame in good shape.

Hopefully it will be ready in the coming two to three weeks, looking forward for it!

mtbr member
    Mine's going to take all the parts off my MT.

Selva Coil,
    Fox X2 2021
    Beast Components Bars
    Trickstuff DRT Brakes (front with Hope V4 caliper; POWER!)
    Intend EN stem
    XTR12 drivetrain with AXS shifter and derailleur
    Bikeyoke Revive 185mm
    Pi_Rope AL30 wheelset
    Speci Eliminator Black Diamond in the rear/Der Kaiser Protection in the front
    DMR Vault Pedals

I'm building my Highlander as a comfortable and confidence inspiring all-day-out Trail bike.

Build spec:
    Deviate Highlander, Medium in Sunset Yellow
    RockShox PIKE Ultimate 2.1 RC2 150mm
    Cane Creek DB Coil IL Black Edition + VALT spring
    Cane Creek 70 Hellbender Headset
    Shimano XT M8100 12 speed Drivetrain
    Shimano XT M8120 4 Pot Brakes
    OneUp Dropper v2 + Remote
    OneUp EDC Stem, Handlebar and EDC Tool System
    DMR Vault Midi pedals
    DMR Deathgrip grips
    Hope Tech Bottom Bracket
    NEWMEN Evolution SL. A30 Wheelset with new FADE Hubs
    DHR II 29 2.6 for the Rough, Forekaster 2.35 for going around local trails
    Invisiframe to keep frame in good shape.

Hopefully it will be ready in the coming two to three weeks, looking forward for it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Those builds are looking great as well Tiauguinho and niconj! Curious to see some pictures and ride reports, once the bikes are up and running. Hopefully soon...
    I also put a lot of thought into my build and got some great help as well from Ben at Deviate, curious how all of those components will blend together. I will post some more info once the bike is here and ready to ride, hopefully that is not too far out...

mtbr member
    Those builds are looking great as well Tiauguinho and niconj! Curious to see some pictures and ride reports, once the bikes are up and running. Hopefully soon...
    I also put a lot of thought into my build and got some great help as well from Ben at Deviate, curious how all of those components will blend together. I will post some more info once the bike is here and ready to ride, hopefully that is not too far out...
    I will probably post a split screen video of me going down one of my favorite trails. Going down with the Megatower and then with the Highlander. The geo is almost identical apart from the 6mm longer chainstays on the Highlander (as I run the MT in the high position) and the parts will be the same apart from the rear shock.

It‘s almost a ceteris paribus situation so that the comparison will mostly focus on the rear end and that‘s why I bought it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I will probably post a split screen video of me going down one of my favorite trails. Going down with the Megatower and then with the Highlander. The geo is almost identical apart from the 6mm longer chainstays on the Highlander (as I run the MT in the high position) and the parts will be the same apart from the rear shock.

It‘s almost a ceteris paribus situation so that the comparison will mostly focus on the rear end and that‘s why I bought it.
    Sounds like an interesting experiment :-)
    One will of course have to take into account your long experience with the old bike whereas the new one will be, well... new...
    As well as probably slightly different conditions.
    But nevertheless, it will be very interesting to read your initial findings.

Do you have any idea about when the bike will reach you?

mtbr member
    Sounds like an interesting experiment :-)
    One will of course have to take into account your long experience with the old bike whereas the new one will be, well... new...
    As well as probably slightly different conditions.
    But nevertheless, it will be very interesting to read your initial findings.

Do you have any idea about when the bike will reach you?
    Yeah... it's not really ceteris paribus.

Ben told me that the frame will ship this week with UPS. So probably next week as I live in Germany.

I will do all the fun stuff like an unboxing video, a "tutorial" on how to apply the invisiframe and probably a bike build as well. I'm not sure about the last one yet as I can't stand the stupid music I will have to put on in accordance to all the bike builds on YT. I'd rather build it with Nirvana playing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ben told me that the frame will ship this week with UPS. So probably next week as I live in Germany.
    Exciting times :-)
    Courageous also to install the Invisiframe yourself. I will leave that stressful job over to the Deviate team ;-)

mtbr member
    Exciting times :-)
    Courageous also to install the Invisiframe yourself. I will leave that stressful job over to the Deviate team ;-)
    I have done that on my HTLT and on the MT myself. I'm not an expert but it turns out to be really decent. I don't know about doing it next week though as I have some important projects still to finish. I'll probably start building it up the third week of June and I have July and August to ride everyday as I don't work these months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Interested as well how all these different builds will translate into riding experience.

When I have mine assembled, I'll put it on the scales and post the weight. I've also changed my mind as for my easy riding tires and going for the new Wolfpack offers.

My bike is expected to ship early next week, waiting on CC DB Coil to arrive.

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    Mine with pedals weighs 14.8kg

mtbr member
    My MT comes in at 14.4kg. The Deviate should be about the same weight.
    Last edited by niconj; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Based on the pictures, and supported by the Geo charts, the overall stack of the XL (and L for that matter) seems incredibly low. Being 189cm tall, I would have to put a load of spacers under the stem on either an XL or L size frame, to go with a 30-40mm rise bar, to be in a comfortable position. Also seems like I would have to have a 200mm+ dropper to get the saddle height correct for my size given the massively short seat tube.

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    Since I took my ‘first ride’ pics I’ve dropped the spacers down to 20mm under the stem. My bar is a 30mm riser I feel I could maybe drop a bit more. I was riding at Blackrocks today which gets pretty steep and rooty, position felt good. Putting it next to the meg bar height looks similar ( just with no spacers) I haven’t compared the geo charts

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That's interesting. Given the weight of the frame (if it's correct on the Deviate website) is actually about the norm for what I class as bigger trail bikes, the overall build it pretty heavy.

I've got one of these on order which should be here in August, (different colour though) which I was hoping to keep similar weight to my SB130, as the frame is actually lighter, but I plan on running an RXF36 M.2 coil fork (already got a TTX22M on the Yeti) - so should come out about the same weight overall.

As much as I really like my Yeti, i'm now onto my second warranty claim & will be my 3rd frame in 18 months. Good old Yeti!

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I hope to have mine around 13kg, even if I lost some weight advantage with the decision to go DB Coil on the rear, but that is a sacrifice I'm willing to carry for the sake compliance/comfort.

mtbr member
    I hope to have mine around 13kg, even if I lost some weight advantage with the decision to go DB Coil on the rear, but that is a sacrifice I'm willing to carry for the sake compliance/comfort.
    Where do you want to save that much weight to get at 13kg?

My MT in size L with the Pi_Rope wheelset comes in at 14.4 with pedals. Admittedly, I don't have the lightest tires and a coil fork installed. The other stuff is as light as it gets without spending a tremendous amount of money.

The MT frame and shock weigh about 3.4kg in L. I think the Highlander at M weighs 2.86 without the shock, which puts it in the same category with the Megatower.

Only weight savings possible for me (but not reasonable):
    Der Kaiser Front = 1000gr. -> other tire -150gr.
    Specialized Eliminator BD rear = 1100gr. -> other tire -250gr.
    Saddle Ergon SM Pro = 220gr. -> other saddle -120gr.
    Selva Coil Forks = 2220gr. -> other forks -250gr.

= 14.40kg - 0.77kg => 13,63kg.

I highly doubt that you will reach 13kg with the Highlander; with a coil shock even less.

I just got a message from Ben asking for my phone number for UPS. I guess it's gonna be here next week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Based on the pictures, and supported by the Geo charts, the overall stack of the XL (and L for that matter) seems incredibly low. Being 189cm tall, I would have to put a load of spacers under the stem on either an XL or L size frame, to go with a 30-40mm rise bar, to be in a comfortable position. Also seems like I would have to have a 200mm+ dropper to get the saddle height correct for my size given the massively short seat tube.
    The stack as much lower than what was on my Stumpjumper. I ended up getting a Wolftooth 15mm top cap to take some of the spacer height out and run a 25mm rise handlebar. I was worried about the stack but it seems to be working out. I also went with a 210 ONEUP dropper on the medium frame. It may be a bit much but I dropped the height to 190 and it's working out for me @ 6ft/183cm.

mtbr member

Name:	IMG_2956.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	343.6 KB 
ID:	1337667
    Great lookin bike!! One question though, what is the finish of the bike? Gloss or mate?

Hope you are enjoying the ride!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Idler Seals

Anyone else get their seals for the Idler? I received 2 in the mail but I also ordered an extra idler wheel when I ordered the frame. Not sure if one seals go on the exposed side of the idler or next to the frame or if I need to use both seals. Anyone have any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ritopc View Post
    Great lookin bike!! One question though, what is the finish of the bike? Gloss or mate?

I know the question wasn't to me but I can say my Skye Blue frame is matte. I was surprised as I thought I read somewhere that the production frames would be gloss.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla View Post
    I know the question wasn't to me but I can say my Skye Blue frame is matte. I was surprised as I thought I read somewhere that the production frames would be gloss.
    At 5'11'' Ben told me that I should definitely go for the large frame. Did you talk to him before ordering the frame?

My blue one comes with the matte Invisiframe too so I guess they are all matte. The yellow one looks like gloss though as in this picture from Instagram.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deviate Cycles-bildschirmfoto-2020-06-05-um-22.26.14.png  

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    At 5'11'' Ben told me that I should definitely go for the large frame. Did you talk to him before ordering the frame?

My blue one comes with the matte Invisiframe too so I guess they are all matte. The yellow one looks like gloss though as in this picture from Instagram.

Yeah I spoke with Ben. If their was a size between medium and large I would have take that size. I wanted a little more playful than planted. Honestly, the only difference compared to my previous ride is the stack height, the bike fits me pretty well. No complaints here. And yes, that frame seems very glossy.

mtbr member
    Yeah I spoke with Ben. If their was a size between medium and large I would have take that size. I wanted a little more playful than planted. Honestly, the only difference compared to my previous ride is the stack height, the bike fits me pretty well. No complaints here. And yes, that frame seems very glossy.
    I went for large not only because Ben suggested it but also comparing it to my Megatower in Large. Reach is 10mm longer, chainstays 6mm longer, stack 2mm lower. All the other measurements are pretty much the same.

mtbr member
    How are the braking characteristics on high pivot bikes (never ridden one)?
    Same as any single pivot or do they inherently behave differently?

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post

Quote from this article:

"The Deviate Highlander has relatively high levels of anti-rise, which means the bikes rear suspension extends and holds it geometry under hard braking."

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Surprised you went Medium at your height. Does it feel small?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Surprised you went Medium at your height. Does it feel small?
    Not really. Only feels Kinda small on up hill switchbacks because the bars are so close to the knee. I don't like climbing and. get off the bike so it's not really a problem for me.

mtbr member
    Not really. Only feels Kinda small on up hill switchbacks because the bars are so close to the knee. I don't like climbing and. get off the bike so it's not really a problem for me.
    So you bought the wrong size. :P

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So you bought the wrong size. :P
    Enh. I'm rarely not on the cusp of being between 2 sizes. I'd rather have a bike that fits for 90 percent of the riding I do than a bike that' only feels good on shuttle day.

Mike555
    Sep 2019

Gloss

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    Anyone else get their seals for the Idler? I received 2 in the mail but I also ordered an extra idler wheel when I ordered the frame. Not sure if one seals go on the exposed side of the idler or next to the frame or if I need to use both seals. Anyone have any ideas?
    Yes seals sit both sides of the idler. You should have some A4 sheets which have exploded drawings of the assembly. The idler floats without both seals

mtbr member
    Yes seals sit both sides of the idler. You should have some A4 sheets which have exploded drawings of the assembly. The idler floats without both seals
    Isn't it pre installed, wenn getting the frame?

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    Isn't it pre installed, wenn getting the frame?
    Yes. However it would seem a couple (including mine) of the early ones got shipped without the idler seal in the metal carrier side. I doubt it will happen in the future

mtbr member
    Yes. However it would seem a couple (including mine) of the early ones got shipped without the idler seal in the metal carrier side. I doubt it will happen in the future
    Was it forgotten? If so then mine was shipped with it installed as you guys have talked to the guys at Deviate already and made them aware of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Where do you want to save that much weight to get at 13kg?

My MT in size L with the Pi_Rope wheelset comes in at 14.4 with pedals. Admittedly, I don't have the lightest tires and a coil fork installed. The other stuff is as light as it gets without spending a tremendous amount of money.

The MT frame and shock weigh about 3.4kg in L. I think the Highlander at M weighs 2.86 without the shock, which puts it in the same category with the Megatower.

Only weight savings possible for me (but not reasonable):
    Der Kaiser Front = 1000gr. -> other tire -150gr.
    Specialized Eliminator BD rear = 1100gr. -> other tire -250gr.
    Saddle Ergon SM Pro = 220gr. -> other saddle -120gr.
    Selva Coil Forks = 2220gr. -> other forks -250gr.

= 14.40kg - 0.77kg => 13,63kg.

I highly doubt that you will reach 13kg with the Highlander; with a coil shock even less.

I just got a message from Ben asking for my phone number for UPS. I guess it's gonna be here next week.
    I'll be happy with mid to low 13kg, which I hope it is achievable.

Please note that I'm not building mine as an Enduro Sled, so for the majority of the time she will be running trail tires that are 690gr each (2.4 x 29'' Wolfpack Cross), so that is a total of 720 grams difference to your tire setup.

When the Highlander is assembled I'll post the weight

mtbr member

Interesting read that answers your question a bit better than my previous quote.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Ok, I see that in the diagram, I'm having a bit of a hard time working out what's what. Thanks. I am curious to know if bikes ordered later on will be gloss vs matte or if the blue will stay matte.

mtbr member
    Gloss
    Thanks!
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    Thank you rodzilla!!

mtbr member
    Mine's gonna be delivered tomorrow. yay!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Mine's gonna be delivered tomorrow. yay!!!
    Cool :-) Keep us posted...

mtbr member
    Cool :-) Keep us posted...
    It's not very light. Weight is with X2 2021 and the headset cups of the 110 Cane Creek pressed in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Sweet! It is a lovely shade of blue! Congratulations niconj!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That looks sweet!
    Was the headset installed when you received the bike? I hope so, as I would prefer not having to deal with this myself..
    I am perfectly OK with the weight, I prefer the frame to be plenty strong rather than very light.

mtbr member
    That looks sweet!
    Was the headset installed when you received the bike? I hope so, as I would prefer not having to deal with this myself..
    It was installed even though I wanted them not to do it in order to weigh it without it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thank you for the answer. I understand, but personally prefer the headset to be installed (especially in a carbon frame).
    I suppose subtracting the advertised weight of the headset will bring you very very close to the actual frame weight. So you could weigh it without the shock as this can be removed easily.

mtbr member
    Just in German but for a first impression it should suffice.

mtbr member
    Weight without the shock in L.

Deviate Cycles-20200609_192557-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2020
    All of these pictures are making it harder to wait for my highlander.
    Last edited by redux; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Congrats! I received mine last week, same color and shock combo, mines a medium though. Nothing like installing invisiframe to get to know every nook and cranny of the frame

PSA: you'll need a 31.6mm seatpost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Congrats! I received mine last week, same color and shock combo, mines a medium though. Nothing like installing invisiframe to get to know every nook and cranny of the frame

PSA: you'll need a 31.6mm seatpost.
    Yeah... I have the dexterity of a newborn Giraffe and the patience of a hand grenade when it comes to stuff like that... Currently trying to find an LBS that's open and not swamped building new bikes...

Though I'm still waiting for the (rowing?) boat that has the 2021 Fox 36's on I think.

Those that have built them up, what rear rotor size are you running? Plan on running a 203 rotor, so wondering what (shimano) adaptor I need?

mtbr member
    Well.... the new X2 is broken. I can dial in and out the HSR as much as I want, nothing changes. It clicks but I can dial it either way 100x.

mtbr member
    Well.... the new X2 is broken. I can dial in and out the HSR as much as I want, nothing changes. It clicks but I can dial it either way 100x.
    Have you built the bike already? HSC and HSR changes are only perceived on the trail. There is no way to perceive any change on a parking lot test or on an unassembled bike or manual dyno.

---

My bad. I re-read your post and what you are saying is the adjuster can turn freely as much as you want to without reaching any stop/limit. Surely a bummer

mtbr member
    My bad. I re-read your post and what you are saying is the adjuster can turn freely as much as you want to without reaching any stop/limit. Surely a bummer
    This.

https://videos.mtb-news.de/53155/x2_2021_hsr_defekt

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Yeah... I have the dexterity of a newborn Giraffe and the patience of a hand grenade when it comes to stuff like that... Currently trying to find an LBS that's open and not swamped building new bikes...

Though I'm still waiting for the (rowing?) boat that has the 2021 Fox 36's on I think.

Those that have built them up, what rear rotor size are you running? Plan on running a 203 rotor, so wondering what (shimano) adaptor I need?
    I'm running 203F/180 Rear. Looks like you would want to use SM-MA-F203P adapter for the front and rear if you are planning to go 203mm on both ends.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That is unfortunate and bad luck.. Hopefully Fox is able to locally help you out as that should be the quickest way to get the bike up and running. And if not I hope Deviate is able to quickly get this sorted.

I read your initial findings posted Yesterday on the mtb-news forum and have to say I am surprised by your many negative findings. You mentioned a definitively out of spec bolt which you are unable to remove as well as 3-4mm play of the rear wheel??
    Have you been able to discuss this with Deviate?

mtbr member
    Many issues is too much and mainly centered around, what I think, FOX.

I THOUGHT! it was 3-4mm but it's actually only 2mm. I talked to Ben and he's told me that this is meant to be this way and that the dropouts will be parallel once tightened. I'm okay with that! Seeing that it was actually really fiddly to get the rear wheel into the Megatower, this is rather pleasant.

The bolt issue... I think it's Fox's fault again as I have measured the bolt to be 7.97mm. Fox should have an 8mm ID which I cannot really measure correctly. I think that it is less than that.

Ben has been very responsive and helpful with the issue of the shock. He will see if he can get a DHX2 but has to wait for FOX to respond.

That is unfortunate and bad luck.. Hopefully Fox is able to locally help you out as that should be the quickest way to get the bike up and running. And if not I hope Deviate is able to quickly get this sorted.

I read your initial findings posted Yesterday on the mtb-news forum and have to say I am surprised by your many negative findings. You mentioned a definitively out of spec bolt which you are unable to remove as well as 3-4mm play of the rear wheel??
    Have you been able to discuss this with Deviate?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Many issues is too much and mainly centered around, what I think, FOX.

I THOUGHT! it was 3-4mm but it's actually only 2mm. I talked to Ben and he's told me that this is meant to be this way and that the dropouts will be parallel once tightened. I'm okay with that! Seeing that it was actually really fiddly to get the rear wheel into the Megatower, this is rather pleasant.

The bolt issue... I think it's Fox's fault again as I have measured the bolt to be 7.97mm. Fox should have an 8mm ID which I cannot really measure correctly. I think that it is less than that.

Ben has been very responsive and helpful with the issue of the shock. He will see if he can get a DHX2 but has to wait for FOX to respond.
    Nice to read you are somewhat reassured concerning Yesterday's findings!
    And good to read Ben is talking care of you, although I would not have expected anything else, he is great to deal with.

2mm of hub play sounds more reasonable for sure than 4mm. Whether this is an issue (or benefit) in my opinion fully depends on what happens when you tighten the axle. If both dropouts easily squeeze together to lock the rear hub with low enough torque, this should not be an issue whatsoever and in fact will make rear wheel installation and removal easier. If on the contrary very high torque needs to be applied to the trough axle to get rid of the play, that would be less ideal. Did you already try installing the rear wheel and tightening the axle to get rid of the play? And if so, did you get a feel of how easily both sides come together?

Good to read also that the suspension bolt connecting the linkage to the rear shock is OK after all. If the interface remains tight, some grease could also help (maybe you have done so already).

I hope the last steps in getting the bike up and running go smoothly for you...

mtbr member
    I can tighten the rear axle with one finger and no real pressure whatsoever. I don't think there will be any issues coming from this side. The bolt issue is annoying though. I put a light amount of grease on it and it still got stuck. This happened on the Megatower too by the way, just that the lower one was very hard to remove then.

When it comes to riding the bike, I don't know. The Fox shock has to be sent in and I don't know how much time it takes. On their website they say something about 15 days. I dunno whether with Corona and all that will be even more.

Nice to read you are somewhat reassured concerning Yesterday's findings!
    And good to read Ben is talking care of you, although I would not have expected anything else, he is great to deal with.

2mm of hub play sounds more reasonable for sure than 4mm. Whether this is an issue (or benefit) in my opinion fully depends on what happens when you tighten the axle. If both dropouts easily squeeze together to lock the rear hub with low enough torque, this should not be an issue whatsoever and in fact will make rear wheel installation and removal easier. If on the contrary very high torque needs to be applied to the trough axle to get rid of the play, that would be less ideal. Did you already try installing the rear wheel and tightening the axle to get rid of the play? And if so, did you get a feel of how easily both sides come together?

Good to read also that the suspension bolt connecting the linkage to the rear shock is OK after all. If the interface remains tight, some grease could also help (maybe you have done so already).

I hope the last steps in getting the bike up and running go smoothly for you...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I can tighten the rear axle with one finger and no real pressure whatsoever. I don't think there will be any issues coming from this side.
    That is great to hear. Again, for me personally this means the 2mm additional spacing between the rear dropouts is a welcome feature as it will greatly ease installing and removing the rear wheel.

The bolt issue is annoying though. I put a light amount of grease on it and it still got stuck. This happened on the Megatower too by the way, just that the lower one was very hard to remove then.
    Suspension bolts can be very snug indeed and most of the time that is a good thing, as even the slightest play can be felt immediately as a knock in the suspension. But stuck bolts are annoying. Hopefully it sightly looses up under use.

When it comes to riding the bike, I don't know. The Fox shock has to be sent in and I don't know how much time it takes. On their website they say something about 15 days. I dunno whether with Corona and all that will be even more.
    Let's hope they can get your shock sorted much faster than those 15 days...

mtbr member
    Deviate Cycles-bb.jpg

Deviate Cycles-antr.jpg

That 2.5mm conical bb-spacer is so cool!

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    My Highlander shipped today... funnily enough, I'll be shockless as well like you niconj! My Cane Creek DB IL Coil is delayed and should come in 10 days or so (however Ben offered a loan shock, which is an awesome gesture!).

mtbr member
    My Highlander shipped today... funnily enough, I'll be shockless as well like you niconj! My Cane Creek DB IL Coil is delayed and should come in 10 days or so (however Ben offered a loan shock, which is an awesome gesture!).
    He told me to send me the DHX2 I originally went for before going for the X2. They are expected to arrive next week. I have enough time to mount everything to spec then and will have to just put on the shock.

I'll have a wooden dummy for setting everything up at 30% SAG. I think that the chain is too long at 126 links on 30/51.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    He told me to send me the DHX2 I originally went for before going for the X2. They are expected to arrive next week. I have enough time to mount everything to spec then and will have to just put on the shock.

I'll have a wooden dummy for setting everything up at 30% SAG. I think that the chain is too long at 126 links on 30/51.
    Interesting. Why do you think that? I have been having difficulties back pedaling since I installed the seals for the idler. But if the chain is too long that might be the issue.

mtbr member
    Interesting. Why do you think that? I have been having difficulties back pedaling since I installed the seals for the idler. But if the chain is too long that might be the issue.
    Because I have to screw in the B-Screw a lot in order to not have the upper pulley touching the cassette. I can only verify that once I have a dummy installed.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=niconj
    I'll have a wooden dummy for setting everything up at 30% SAG. I think that the chain is too long at 126 links on 30/51.[/QUOTE]

Do you hace a picture with the chain on the smallest and largest cog? Seem like you are in the 4rth (5fth??) smallest cog and the derrailer has no more space to take the slack on the chain. I usually set up my chains based on the largest cog and set it up to almost be at its limit of stretching when cycling the suspension. That help me to get the shortest chain possible.

mtbr member
    I shortened the chain two links and it seems to be working now. I may shorten it even more as I have to dial in the B-Screw all the way in to have it set up correctly. Then it may be too short for 30/51 and full travel but nobody rides this way anyways.

Edit: Nope. It shifts perfectly. I'll leave it like this.
    Last edited by niconj; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's a pic of the drivetrain with the correct chain length. I'm so happy that there's been no issues in setting up the shifting. This XTR12/AXS drivetrain is a treat.

Deviate Cycles-20200613_140333.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Here's a pic of the drivetrain with the correct chain length. I'm so happy that there's been no issues in setting up the shifting. This XTR12/AXS drivetrain is a treat.

Name:	20200613_140333.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	371.0 KB 
ID:	1341233
    Could you tell me about your drive train? What's your combo and how and why does it perform?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It's an XTR12 Cassette, XTR12 cranks with XTR12 chainring + AXS shifter and derailleur. Super smooth shifting due to HG+ and super fast due to wireless AXS.

Here's a video (German only).

Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Could you tell me about your drive train? What's your combo and how and why does it perform?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thank you.

Does this work with the 10-45 XTR Shimano cassette?

I already have AXS btw.

mtbr member
    These builds and bikes are flippin sweet as.
    Hoping to hear some ride reports and bike comparisons soon. The Highlander is at the very top of bikes I'd replace my current bike with. Not to mention it's the sexiest frame out there, rad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    +1
    These build are all really nice indeed!!
    And one more vote for some additional ride reports. Just to ease my waiting...

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Despite my frame and parts arriving Monday, my ride report has to wait a few weeks, as I wait for the arrival of the CC DB IL Coil and the NEWMEN wheels. Hopefully start of July I should be able to report back.

Mike555
    Sep 2019

Minor Tweaks

Deviate Cycles-img_3024.jpgDeviate Cycles-img_3026.jpeg

Just an excuse to put a photo up !!

Put some lighter rubber on the rear
    Dropped down to 10mm spacer under the stem
    Added One Up EDC tool
    Peatys Fidlock bottle- Gonna see if I can shake it off tomorrow !
    Suspension pretty much there.
    Got a 203 rotor ordered for the rear, mainly so I can swap wheels easier between bikes.
    Loving it

mtbr member
    Thank you.

Does this work with the 10-45 XTR Shimano cassette?

I already have AXS btw.

Why shouldn't it work?

My ride report will have to wait till after the 19th or whenever the DHX2 arrives. Is there any interest in doing a video in English? I usually do it in German but English would be ok too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Just an excuse to put a photo up !!

Put some lighter rubber on the rear
    Dropped down to 10mm spacer under the stem
    Added One Up EDC tool
    Peatys Fidlock bottle- Gonna see if I can shake it off tomorrow !
    Suspension pretty much there.
    Got a 203 rotor ordered for the rear, mainly so I can swap wheels easier between bikes.
    Loving it
    Looks great Mike!! Also like the little touch of your name on the frame!

I also got a fidlock bottle ready to install, looks really neat. Anyone mounting a tool bag on the frame too? If so, recommendations would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Is there any interest in doing a video in English?
    Definitely from me. I only know like 5 German words and they're all sausages and beers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That looks great! Keep those excuses coming..
    Good to see the large fidlock bottle fits the frame, as that is exactly what I have waiting here for the frame to arrive..
    I am certainly interested in your findings of how the bike rides...

mtbr member
    Definitely from me. I only know like 5 German words and they're all sausages and beers.
    That's a good starting point.

I am so stoked about this bike. I keep running into my workshop to only look at it. What I have figured out yesterday was that the bolts of the 77Designz Tacco Bash are too long. Minor issue to be solved real quick.

mtbr member
    May 2020

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Are you planning to do what I think?
    A Highlander in another color than Yellow or Blue?
    Very curious to see what's next...

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    I quite like Mr Burns Yellow, the blue hair also nice

Quote Originally Posted by redux View Post

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I quite like Mr Burns Yellow, the blue hair also nice
    Haha, indeed. Both colors are actually really close to the standard ones...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Are you planning to do what I think?
    A Highlander in another color than Yellow or Blue?
    Very curious to see what's next...
    Yup,

The Deviate team offers a custom paint option. Yellow and Blue weren't really working for me, so I choose to check the "other" box.

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    Yeah I met another guy who already has a Guide said he was having his Highlander done green

Yup,

The Deviate team offers a custom paint option. Yellow and Blue weren't really working for me, so I choose to check the "other" box.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cool!

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 104
Size:  8.4 KBDeviate Cycles-screenshot-2020-06-15-08.58.13.jpg

Something was stirred in my subconscious as soon as I saw Sunset Yellow

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    She has arrived and wow... Gorgeous!

Little teaser picture:

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Little teaser picture:
    Mine will be here this week. It’s been waiting at Deviate, waiting for forks. Forks still haven’t arrived, could be this week, could be August, but at least it will only be a quick job to fit it when the boat finally arrives. Brakes won’t be here till Xmas anyway (have something for the mean time).

Weirdly, I was speaking to JMJ at the end of last year about doing a metal look paint job, based on a P51, but that was when I thought they would only come in black, and I wanted something different to the Guide. The black logos on yellow are a good contrast though, so parked the idea till I get bored of it. His work is really good, the James Hunt replica D3 on his insta is what he’s done for me previously.

mtbr member
    I'm waiting for my X2 to arrive at Deviate and the DHX2 arriving at their place from Fox. In the meantime I spoke to EXT and will be testing an EXT Storia V3. If that works well, I may not be riding the DHX2 after all. We'll see.

Mike555
    Sep 2019
    YES. I had Chris Porter at Mojo set me up with an EXT Storia on the Meg and it transformed it. The hydraulic top out is superb. I've told myself the Highlander is staying light and 'Trail' but I'm so tempted to put an EXT on it. Look forward to seeing this.

I'm waiting for my X2 to arrive at Deviate and the DHX2 arriving at their place from Fox. In the meantime I spoke to EXT and will be testing an EXT Storia V3. If that works well, I may not be riding the DHX2 after all. We'll see.

mtbr member
    YES. I had Chris Porter at Mojo set me up with an EXT Storia on the Meg and it transformed it. The hydraulic top out is superb. I've told myself the Highlander is staying light and 'Trail' but I'm so tempted to put an EXT on it. Look forward to seeing this.
    I don't think that the new DHX2 is too bad though and the performance difference might be little.

I'll build my Highlander as an Enduro rig with light trail touches. Dual Italian Coil...

mtbr member
    Yup,

I asked them about it and they said they didn't offer different paintjobs.

That green is awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I asked them about it and they said they didn't offer different paintjobs.

That green is awesome.
    It's being done by an independent painter local-ish to Deviate. I think the stars aligned and I happened to be lucky enough to ask about the option while they were in the process of doing the same to another bike. It was a bit of a win/win, as i got the color I wanted and keep the frame warranty. The color is Aston Martian's Pentland Green, it's hard to get a sense of the green to black transition without seeing it in person ( https://www.instagram.com/p/CBoPlfUHI6z/ ).

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    It's being done by an independent painter local to Deviate. I think the stars aligned and I happened to be lucky enough to ask about the option while they were in the process of doing the same to another bike. It was a bit of a win/win, as i got the color I wanted and keep the frame warranty. The color is Aston Martian's Pentland Green, it's hard to get a sense of the green to black transition without seeing it in person ( https://www.instagram.com/p/CBoPlfUHI6z/ ).
    JMJ is at the opposite end of a different country to Deviate ;-)

mtbr member
    May 2020
    JMJ is at the opposite end of a different country to Deviate ;-)
    Fixed via the all mighty "ish".

mtbr member
    Shock will be here by the end of this week.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deviate Cycles-shock-missingklein.jpg  

Deviate Cycles-shock-missing2klein.jpg  

Last edited by niconj; 1 Week Ago at 11:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    We don't do custom paint ourselves... but working with JMJ to hook up anyone who wants a custom colour. Basically, we're happy to get your new frame to JMJ and arrange shipping to you from there. All discussion and pricing of custom options handled by JMJ.
    It also doesn't affect our warranty (apart from the paint finish which will then not be covered).

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    EXT shock will be here by the end of this week.

Niconj, how long is your dropper and what size frame are you on? I'm on a medium and did a 210 one up dropper.

Also, does anyone have any tips regarding friction/drag at the idler? I installed the spacers that were sent out to early frame owners and since then I have had serious drag and I can't back pedal. If I loosen the 3 bolts on the piece that holds the idler I can back pedal but I still have quite a bit of drag. My riding buddies are concerned that the bolts may back out if we hit anything rowdy. I have greased around the seals, I am at a loss other than to get shorter bolts but I don't think that is a good option either.

mtbr member
    Niconj, how long is your dropper and what size frame are you on? I'm on a medium and did a 210 one up dropper.
    It's a large frame. The Bikeyoke Revive 185mm fits all the way into the frame. I wanted to go AXS but the Bikeyoke is just working without any problems so that I cannot justify the cost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Shifting issues?

Anyone experiencing difficulties getting shifting dialed with their build? I'm running XT 12 speed drivetrain and having a helluva time getting the shifting consistent. Spent many hours fiddling w/ all the limit screws and barrel adjuster, even swapped hangers - still no luck. I'm running all 126 links in the chain per the manual, but am having a hard time getting the b-tension to line up the 51 sprocket to the markings on the derailleur (I think niconj mentioned something similar). Just have the 2.5mm spacer on the drive side of the bottom bracket. Now I'm thinking maybe my derailleur is bent (not the hanger) or if my chain line is off somehow. Any thoughts or suggestions what to try/check next would be appreciated This is the first build that's been so finicky.

Deviate Cycles-gears.jpg
    I can't get enough b-tension unless I take the little plastic spacer off the bolt

On a positive note, I've ridden it a few times and share some initial impressions:
    - Climbing position and traction is pretty awesome, still getting used to it but definitely better than my v1 following.
    - I'm 5'10" and very happy with the riding position on the medium. Not too big and not too small.
    - Running 140mm in the front ATM, so far no horrendous pedal strikes (definitely need to get a bashguard though). May try 160 in the future.
    - The rear end is working as advertised, erasing a lot of chunk while maintaining a lot of momentum. obviously better than the following, not really a fair comparison. Still trying to find the balance between plush and playful (may try 1 spacer in the x2).
    - Overall feels very solid and surprisingly is the quietest bike I ridden (the onyx hubs help in this department).
    - The only negative so far is that I can't sort out the shifting. I'll update my impressions after more riding/tweaking.

Deviate Cycles-highlander.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deviate Cycles-img_20200622_205004.jpg  

Deviate Cycles-img_20200622_205854.jpg  

Deviate Cycles-img_20200617_183432.jpg  

Deviate Cycles-img_20200617_183500.jpg  

Last edited by teknospeed; 1 Week Ago at 11:01 PM. Reason: fix images

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Teknospeed, thank you for sharing your first ride impressions! What weight did you end up with on your build? How does the bike feel on longer rides (if you had the chance for a long ride)?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Teknospeed, thank you for sharing your first ride impressions! What weight did you end up with on your build? How does the bike feel on longer rides (if you had the chance for a long ride)?
    Haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, I'll post when I do. The longest so far is a 20mile 2500ft climb ride. On longer climbs definitely found myself settling in and grinding up. On punchy technical climbs getting out of the saddle was easy cause the rear end stayed planted. Overall, felt efficient and agile but also very competent when headed down, like a burly trail bike. Will have more details after some more rides.

mtbr member
    Anyone experiencing difficulties getting shifting dialed
    I had to shorten the chain to 124 links to get the tension right. The b-screw is dialed in all the way but shifting in the stand is very good. I run the XTR cassette and chain with an AXS derailleur though. Also I run a 30T chainring on the front.

As I haven't ridden it yet, I don't know whether this translates into good shifting on the trail. Tomorrow the shock will arrive and I'll be able to test it.

Edit: With the shock mine will come in at approximately 14.75kg.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I had to shorten the chain to 124 links to get the tension right. The b-screw is dialed in all the way but shifting in the stand is very good. I run the XTR cassette and chain with an AXS derailleur though. Also I run a 30T chainring on the front.

As I haven't ridden it yet, I don't know whether this translates into good shifting on the trail. Tomorrow the shock will arrive and I'll be able to test it.
    Indeed, I too would check out the chain length if you have difficulty setting the B-screw.
    You may have checked this out already, but Shimano has a very lengthy manual online going over all adjustments including chain length and setting the B-screw. See https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-MARD001-03-ENG.pdf Hope this will help!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anyone know if the Highlander would be too big for me at 5'6"? Im really interested in this bike but think the medium will too big. Im thinking the small Forbidden Druid will fit me better. Anyone have experience on either?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Anyone know if the Highlander would be too big for me at 5'6"? Im really interested in this bike but think the medium will too big. Im thinking the small Forbidden Druid will fit me better. Anyone have experience on either?

I'm the same height and have a Medium Highlander. Haven't ridden it yet though. Have it setup with a 35mm stem, 760mm wide bars with 35mm rise and 180mm dropper (as per recommended and discussed with Deviate).

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm the same height and have a Medium Highlander. Haven't ridden it yet though. Have it setup with a 35mm stem, 760mm wide bars with 35mm rise and 180mm dropper (as per recommended and discussed with Deviate).
    Cool. Share a pic when you get a chance. What kind of build did you do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I am the same Height and will be using the same configuration. Did some calculations and don't forsee any problem either pedaling seated or descending.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I am the same Height and will be using the same configuration. Did some calculations and don't forsee any problem either pedaling seated or descending.
    Really? The reach seems really long. Do you have a long torso or arms?

mtbr member
    Really? The reach seems really long. Do you have a long torso or arms?

I wouldn't think so, I have regular torso and arms. I have a wide back and shoulders though. I have tried bikes up to 440 reach, with 35 stems and 780 handlebars and didn´t felt stretched out. A 760mm bar would compensate for the extra reach and at my height it just makes more sense. I am probably on the lower end, but still I think it will fit right. I will let you know once is built up and ridden.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Indeed, I too would check out the chain length if you have difficulty setting the B-screw.
    You may have checked this out already, but Shimano has a very lengthy manual online going over all adjustments including chain length and setting the B-screw. See https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-MARD001-03-ENG.pdf Hope this will help!
    Shimano recommends 5-6 extra links around the largest sprocket at full compression. I have 4 extra at full compression, if I were to follow their instructions I'd have to add 1-2 more links! But I figure it should be in the ball park at sag. And indeed the b-tension is different at sag. Regardless, still no luck. I'll try removing a couple links next...

@niconj maybe AXS is the only way to go!

mtbr member
    maybe AXS is the only way to go!
    AXS/XTR hybrid. I haven‘t ridden it yet so I‘m not a 100% sure whether it will work as well on the trail.

It‘s funny that the b-screw has to be dialed in all the way while Forbidden tell you that you should have no b-tension at all to get the best small bump sensitivity. Actually? I don‘t think it‘ll make much of a difference.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anyone go from a 27.5 bike to the Highlander? Did you feel you were missing anything, playfulness, agility etc? Is this alot bigger of a bike that takes more work to move around vs a 27.5?

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Anyone go from a 27.5 bike to the Highlander? Did you feel you were missing anything, playfulness, agility etc? Is this alot bigger of a bike that takes more work to move around vs a 27.5?

Mate, I'm coming from my 23 year old Pro-Flex 857, which I still ride almost every day, to the Highlander. I think I'll be too overwhelmed at the first few months to realize if I'm even missing anything.

This upgrade is going to be pretty mind blowing

mtbr member
    14.7kgs Dual Coil.

Deviate Cycles-ahr0chm6ly9mc3rhdgljms5tdgitbmv3cy5kzs92my8ync8yndg4lzi0odg0mtktowhmmxqzb2f3cmtilwrldmlhdgvmaw5h.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    That looks awesome, congratulations Niconj!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    14.7kgs Dual Coil.

Name:	aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5tdGItbmV3cy5kZS92My8yNC8yNDg4LzI0ODg0MTktOWhmMXQzb2F3cmtiLWRldmlhdGVmaW5h.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	387.6 KB 
ID:	1344495
    What kind of voodoo is this? How is this bike standing?
    Super nice rig btw.

mtbr member
    What kind of voodoo is this? How is this bike standing?
    Super nice rig btw.

No voodoo. Photoshop.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Looks like things at JMJ are coming along nicely.

Link to an Instagram video about the flow coating process being done on the bike:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB8W61nHS0b/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deviate Cycles-image3.jpg  

Deviate Cycles-image0.jpg  

Last edited by redux; 1 Week Ago at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Looks like things at JMJ are coming along nicely.
    Thought you were going with Green?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    It is green. There's no clear coat on the frame in the pictures. The Instagram link is to a video of the 1st layer of clear coat and such.

Mike555
    Sep 2019

Looking a little less new now

Deviate Cycles-d1f5b359-869b-4d37-a144-6bde2d1b1776.jpg

mtbr member
    Mate, I'm coming from my 23 year old Pro-Flex 857, which I still ride almost every day, to the Highlander. I think I'll be too overwhelmed at the first few months to realize if I'm even missing anything.

This upgrade is going to be pretty mind blowing
    Ha! That's awesome.

mtbr member
    English version of the (second) first ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast