Deviate Cycles - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deviate Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks for sharing the video and your impressions in English. I wonder how different the backend feels with the EXT Storia v3 compared to the CC DB IL Coil. Maybe one day we can find that one out if I find you on the trails during one of my trips to Germany.

I have my bike fully assembled, but still waiting for the shock. Hopefully Deviate receives them soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiauguinho View Post
    Thanks for sharing the video and your impressions in English. I wonder how different the backend feels with the EXT Storia v3 compared to the CC DB IL Coil. Maybe one day we can find that one out if I find you on the trails during one of my trips to Germany.

I have my bike fully assembled, but still waiting for the shock. Hopefully Deviate receives them soon.
    You‘re more than welcome to visit me. The trails in the video are just a tiny representation of what I have in front of my door. There are some more demanding ones too.

I think the Storia is an excellent shock but the CC shouldn‘t be too bad either. I don‘t actualy think that I would notice much of a difference. I run the compression and the rebound fully open.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

No experience with the Storia, but I have about 3 rides on DB Coil IL and I am very happy. I'm around 110KG/240Lbs when I ride. I have had the DB Air CS and the Suntour Triair on the Highlander so far. The DB Air had outstanding traction but I had no pop. The Triair had pop but had alot of pedal bob when pedaling in the open mode. The DBCoil Il feels great. Good traction, lots of pop. I am running the factory tune (HSC 2 LSC 7 HSR 2 LSR 10, all clicks from open) and and a 650 Valt Spring. I can probably run a 600 spring but I prefer a stiffer ride, which this helps provides. I had previously been on an Ohlins TTX on a Stumpjumer and I much prefer the feel of the DBcoil IL on the Highlander. I am hoping to get out and take the setup on a more sustained descent this weekend; I will probably tune for a plusher ride and see how it feels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by niconj View Post
    You‘re more than welcome to visit me. The trails in the video are just a tiny representation of what I have in front of my door. There are some more demanding ones too.
    During Autumn I'll be finding trails in the Ardennes, Belgium or around Eifel Mountains, Germany. Close to you?

Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla View Post
    No experience with the Storia, but I have about 3 rides on DB Coil IL and I am very happy. I'm around 110KG/240Lbs when I ride. I have had the DB Air CS and the Suntour Triair on the Highlander so far. The DB Air had outstanding traction but I had no pop. The Triair had pop but had alot of pedal bob when pedaling in the open mode. The DBCoil Il feels great. Good traction, lots of pop. I am running the factory tune (HSC 2 LSC 7 HSR 2 LSR 10, all clicks from open) and and a 650 Valt Spring. I can probably run a 600 spring but I prefer a stiffer ride, which this helps provides. I had previously been on an Ohlins TTX on a Stumpjumer and I much prefer the feel of the DBcoil IL on the Highlander. I am hoping to get out and take the setup on a more sustained descent this weekend; I will probably tune for a plusher ride and see how it feels.
    Thanks for your feedback! I'm still taking notes on different tunes I find online and also asked Ben from Deviate for a Tune suggestion that works well with the Highlander. I'm a lighter rider, with 67kg geared and have a VALT 350lbs spring ordered for mine. Bit worried on finding a proper tune for my weight for both shock and fork, as my frame of reference (my old 857 has a Noleen NR-4 and Marzocchi Z1 that I upgraded to in late 1997) probably doesn't have much to do with current bike suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Which of you was having fun with their Skye Blue Highlander at Whistler Opening Day?

https://youtu.be/KEmeGGYjoVc?t=160

mtbr member
    Which of you was having fun with their Skye Blue Highlander at Whistler Opening Day?

https://youtu.be/KEmeGGYjoVc?t=160
    That is probably the PB crew with the Highlander Deviate sent for review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla View Post
    Since you are running a Coil on the heavier side, I would open a full turn of HSC and see how it works. From my understanding, the Highlander don't need a lot of HSC given its LR curve.
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ritopc View Post
    Since you are running a Coil on the heavier side, I would open a full turn of HSC and see how it works. From my understanding, the Highlander don't need a lot of HSC given its LR curve.
    I ride it fully open at 95kgs and will have my EXT tuned to have a tad less HSC even.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone received their highlander with the 150mm link? Anyone ridden both the standard (140mm) and longer stroke (150mm) links and can provide a comparison (progressiveness, pedaling efficiency, etc).
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ritopc View Post
    I can give that a try and see how it works, thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by niconj View Post
    I ride it fully open at 95kgs and will have my EXT tuned to have a tad less HSC even.
    One of the advantages of HSC (and LSC for that matter) is that it is not dependable on weight, as long as the spring rate is correct (contrary to rebound that is affected by spring rate). Compression damping depends more of riding style and type of trails. We have noticed at the shop that people is more sensible to undersprung than oversprung settings.

From what I can see on your videos @niconj, you are an experienced and active rider. And you using very low compression settings support my understanding of the Highlander needing very low compression settings.

The dbcoil IL has a wider range of adjustment than the dbcoil CS, both at the lower and upper end (In all applications other than bikepark, I much prefer the dbcoil IL). @Rodzilla, you should be able to find a sweet spot with 2 full turns of HSC at hand. You may have to add a bit of rebound (just a very tiny bit) to compensate; but only if the back end is kicking up a bit. The dbcoil IL is an impressive shock in such a small package.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Spoke with Ben from Deviate today, Cane Creek has been overloaded and is only shipping the CC DB IL Coils this week, hopefully shipment arrives to Deviate early next week.

However, so I do not wait any longer, they offered to send me a loaner CC DB IL Air to hold me over until the coil is here (and it was sent already today!). Very nice of them and I'm pleased for that.

Seems that this weekend I can finally have the first ride on my Highlander, which has been a display piece on at home for this past weeks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Spoke with Ben from Deviate today, Cane Creek has been overloaded and is only shipping the CC DB IL Coils this week, hopefully shipment arrives to Deviate early next week.

However, so I do not wait any longer, they offered to send me a loaner CC DB IL Air to hold me over until the coil is here (and it was sent already today!). Very nice of them and I'm pleased for that.

Seems that this weekend I can finally have the first ride on my Highlander, which has been a display piece on at home for this past weeks
    Ben indeed is absolutely great to deal with.
    Crossing my fingers for the shock to reach you smoothly.
    And crossing my fingers for my bike to reach me smoothly (from now on), as UPS is playing ping-pong with my package shipping to Brussels (where it should be) but than back out to The Netherlands for two days (?), back to Brussels, at my door putting a note in the mailbox (but not ringing (?!)), back to the warehouse for two days, and hopefully tomorrow another (real) attempt...
    None of this has anything to do with Deviate of course...

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfHenk View Post
    Ben indeed is absolutely great to deal with.
    Crossing my fingers for the shock to reach you smoothly.
    And crossing my fingers for my bike to reach me smoothly (from now on), as UPS is playing ping-pong with my package shipping to Brussels (where it should be) but than back out to The Netherlands for two days (?), back to Brussels, at my door putting a note in the mailbox (but not ringing (?!)), back to the warehouse for two days, and hopefully tomorrow another (real) attempt...
    None of this has anything to do with Deviate of course...
    Ugh, that is frustrating! Hopefully tomorrow you'll have it with you!

I see above that you also have a trail focused build, what fork and shock are you going for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ugh, that is frustrating! Hopefully tomorrow you'll have it with you!

I see above that you also have a trail focused build, what fork and shock are you going for?
    Very frustrating delivery experience indeed...

I consider my build as in between trail and enduro. With a Fox 36 up front and a Fox X2 shock in the rear. Just like everyone, I am chasing that perfect bike that climbs like an xc bike and decends like a downhill bike while staying light and nimble (haha), but indeed my usual terrain is definitely trail oriented with once in a while a more challenging weekend on the menu. Although detailed reviews of the current models are not existent yet, it seems the 36 fork and possibly even more so the x2 shock perform really well and come very close to coil performance. Can't wait to ride the bike and find out for myself...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12