demo'd a tallboy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

demo'd a tallboy

I demo'd a tallboy last night and overall, I liked the bike very much. It was killer in the rough stuff but it was climbing smooth stuff like crap with a lot of rear end movement. I stopped a couple of times to add air pressure to the shock but didn't want to put too much in and damage the shock. I put in 200 psi and I'm 195lbs. Was that enough? I suspect that there was something wrong with the shock since it felt the same regardless of which pro-pedal position it was in. oh yeah, it was the fox rp23 I think.

fyi, I currently ride and race a salsa selma so I expect some of the "wallowing" was from my years on a hardtail and not being used to any movement in the rear but after reading reviews and following some 26" blurs during the ride there is no question that my rear end (har har) was more active than theirs.
    things are more like they are today than they ever were before

boring blogs:

racin rick dam nelsons

links:

Bikeman
    Salsa Cycles
    SRAM
    Panaracer

Superflying on Haven
    Fox problem with their new shock technology. It feels like the Propedal is useless. Try it with a RockShox Monarch that provides a "real" lock-out with the Full Gate (plus there is a Mid gate = Fox Propedal 2) . Also the RS is firmer and it pedals well even with the Open Gate.

mtbr member
    I was definitely wishing for a full lock-out on that thing. changing shocks on a demo bike will be a bit tough to do especially since it would require me to buy a shock that I have no other use for...

boring blogs:

racin rick dam nelsons

links:

Bikeman
    Salsa Cycles
    SRAM
    Panaracer

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ride a Specialized with the brain, lockouts and pro-pedal are ghey compared to the new brain.

mtbr member
    but then I'd be riding a specialized...

boring blogs:

racin rick dam nelsons

links:

Bikeman
    Salsa Cycles
    SRAM
    Panaracer

R.I.P. DogFriend
    You could put a lot more pressure than that into that shock, but I didn't find I needed to put more than my body weight's worth to get a decent ride out of the Tallboy. As I recall, it was definitely under that number. It was even pretty decent standing up (out of the saddle).

If you can't feel an appreciable difference with ProPedal on or off, I suspect the shock may have issues.

mtbr member
    yeah, that's my guess. I just need to get the shop to put a new shock on to try it again.

boring blogs:

racin rick dam nelsons

links:

Bikeman
    Salsa Cycles
    SRAM
    Panaracer

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sounds like something might have been wrong with that shock. I got my Tallboy one week ago and it climbs WAY better than I expected even on dead smooth trails. The RP23 Propedal lever definitely makes a difference and controls the minor bob very, very well. Even standing and hammering hardly causes a mm of movement out of the back end. I run the shock at 10 psi below my loaded riding weight and get full travel on big hits. On top of being such a great climber it absolutely hauls on singletrack and downhills.
    I took a bit of a gamble when I ordered mine since there are none around in my size to demo but I couldn't be happier. At 24.9 lbs with some light but reliable parts it will reasily eplace my Superfly hardtail and my RMB Altitude 29.
    Last edited by bog; 08-13-2010 at 10:11 PM.
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

mtbr member
    awesome. I expected much less bob than I encountered and witnessed in the blur's I was riding with so this is good to hear. that's a lot of coin to drop on a barca lounger.

boring blogs:

racin rick dam nelsons

links:

Bikeman
    Salsa Cycles
    SRAM
    Panaracer

Members who have read this thread: 0