Decision time: 29er Carbon Racer- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 54 of 54
  1. #1
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176

    Decision time: 29er Carbon Racer

    2011 season is upon us, time to sort out the valiant steed for the season.
    I'm set on the On*One 29er racer, but those lads have been slacking and pre-order is like Jan, soo....


    ... Plan B, get a something else and then decide if to swap the frame later.

    I'm right at 200# and tend to break stuff, but again will be using this solely for XC racing/training. Do some endurance racing, and SS-ability of the frame would be a good thing (but not a critical requirement)

    Scott Scale Carbon 29er Pro (~$2500)
    I like the geometry, test rode the the Alu version and it fits me really well, love the slacker HA of 69.5, specs are nice and price is right.
    Heard/read too many horror stories about failures on Scott carbon bikes, and right now this is the main thing holding me back on this puppy. I'm a heavy rider and so this is the main area of concern.
    Now, with the warranty and a backup plan to go to the On*One frame later this is still probably a good choice. Not too jazzed with the 3x10, that would go 2x10 right away, if not 1x10. Components are not as good as the Spesh.

    FRAME Scale 29 Carbon IMP3 technology / HMF NET
    Tapered Headtube / PM 160 Disc
    Carbon dropout / PFBB92
    Replaceable hanger
    SDS shock damping system
    FORK Rock Shox Reba 29 RL / Air spring
    Tapered steerer / Pop Loc remote Lockout
    Rebound adjustable
    100 mm travel
    HEADSET Ritchey Comp Tapered 1.5 - 1 1/8
    semi integrated 50 / 61mm
    DERAILLEUR (REAR) Sram X.9 / long cage / 30 Speed
    DERAILLEUR (FRONT) Shimano SLX / FC-M660-10 / 34.9mm clamp
    SHIFTERSSram X.7 Trigger adjustable clamp with matchmaker clamp
    BRAKES Avid Elixir 5
    185/F and 160/R mm Rotor
    CRANKSET Shimano FC-M552 / 2-piece Design
    42A x 32A x 24T
    BB-SET Shimano SM-BB71-41A / shell 41x89.5mm
    HANDLEBAR Scott Hot Rod Flat 9 bend / 660 mm / Scott Lockon grips
    H'STEM Scott Comp / 4 Bolt Oversize 31.8mm 1 1/8 / -6 angle
    SEATPOST Scott RC 03-60 / 34.9mm
    SEAT Selle Italy Scott Custom / FEC rails
    HUB (FRONT) Scott Disc Pro Disc IT
    HUB (REAR) DT Swiss 370 Disc IT
    CASSETTE Sram PG 1050 / 12-36 T
    SPOKES DT Swiss Champion Black 1.8mm
    RIM SDT Swiss 485d 32H
    TIRES Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO 29 x 2.25 127EPI Kevlar Bead / Tubeless ready


    Specialized Stumpjumper Expert EVO R 29 (~$3000)
    Test rode this one too (actual the S-works) and to be honest I'm not impressed with the geometry. HA is way too steep (71deg) and the bike feels too sketchy for my taste. Build is fine and I know the frame is rock solid, way less stories about failures, and this is probably the 3rd year, so I'm sure they have sorted out most of the stuff. I had great esperience with Spesh warranty dept. so no worries there. Again, with the idea of swapping the frame later, the geometry ma not be too big of a deal. Better components, X.0 stuff and no silly thin seatstays. Don't like the 'custom' stuff, but I can probably live with it. Comes already 1x10, which is what I wanted anyway.

    FRAME: FACT 8m carbon, 29" geometry, FACT IS construction, tapered HT, carbon PF-30 BB, hollow carbon dropouts, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger
    FORK: Custom RockShox Reba 29 w/Brain, inertia valve damper, air spring, tapered alloy steerer, Brain Fade and rebound adj., QR, 90mm travel
    HEADSET 1-1/8" and 1-1/2" Threadless, Campy style upper with 1.5" lower, cartridge bearings
    STEM Specialized XC, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm clamp, adjustable rise
    HANDLEBARS S-Works XC Carbon flat bar, uni-directional carbon, 680mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 31.8mm
    GRIPS Specialized lock-on, 15.5/17.5: Grappler, Other: Rocca
    BRAKES Custom Avid Elixir CR SL, hydraulic disc, pad contact & reach adj., alloy backed semi-metallic pads, stainless hardware, 160mm rotor
    FRONT DERAILLEUR e* thirteen XCX chain guide, 34.9 clamp mount
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X.0, 10-speed, short cage
    SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X.9, 10-speed, aluminum trigger
    CASSETTE Shimano HG81, 10-speed, 11-36t
    CHAIN KMC X10, 10-speed, w/ reuseable Missing Link, nickel plates
    CRANKSET Custom SRAM Carbon S-2200, 34t single ring, PF-30, removeable spider, 15.5: 170mm, others: 175mm
    CHAINRINGS 34t, 7050 ring with CNC detail
    BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM PF-30, OS press-in bearing, sealed cartridge
    RIMS Custom DT Swiss X450SL, 29" rim, 24mm w/ eyelets, 32h
    FRONT HUB Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, OS 28 end caps, sealed cartridge bearing, RWS, 32h
    REAR HUB Custom DT Swiss 330SL, alloy cassette body, RWS, 32h
    TIRES S-Works Renegade, 120 TPI, 2Bliss ready aramid bead, dual compound, 29x1.95"
    SADDLE Specialized BG Phenom Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm width
    SEATPOST 2014 butted alloy, single bolt setback, 27.2mm, 15.5/17.5": 350mm, others: 400mm


    Already ruled out Superfly, Orbea Alma and Niner for other various reasons.
    Looked at Ti frames as well, but I think I want a plastic bike now.

    Comments/ideas/suggestions much appreciated.
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ssphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    218
    Why did you rule out the niner?

  3. #3
    jms
    jms is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,229

    Others

    If you must here's some other plastic explosives to consider:

    Jamis
    Felt
    Trek/Fisher
    My Favorite Peeps:

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,048
    Stumpy with one of the new Cane Creek angleset headsets?

    Not sure if that would work, but if so, about a hundred bucks buys you the slacker HT angle you're looking for.

    I have high hopes for that product. If it works out, it should expand everyones list of possible bikes significantly, since we'll no longer have to rule out otherwise attractive choices due to the geo being steeper or slacker than desired.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    96
    Last year I raced a Scott Scale with no problems, great bike!
    My choice would be the Specialized, it looks even sweeter in person and you get a Brain fork and X0 RD.

  6. #6
    a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Reputation: mtnfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,750
    Just get one of the Hong Fu Chinese disposable carbon frames and be done with it. When/if it blows up replace as needed. My guess is you will be able to go through 2-4 frames for the cost of that Scott. The frame is a commodity item. It's really about the wheels and components. (that coming from a guy with two handmade American frames )
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    283
    Don't worry about the Scott, you won't be able to get it until late January at the earliest, maybe beginning of March. Believe me, I know on this one. So unfortunate that Scott just can't get their bikes out earlier like other companies do. Rumors that they haven't made enough and could be a back-ordered type situation are floating around from a few shop owners. Hope its not true.

    Chiva

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: foofighter275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    153
    that's a nice on*one frame...any idea on the pricing?
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

    Terminal Pholocity

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lamdman1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    327
    i know you said the scott geo is good. i wonder if you can get scott's frame set only because i practically swapped out most of the scott parts - well i think they not that good
    however, i do hope you get an on-one carbon so i can scheck it out too!

  10. #10
    BDT
    BDT is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    140
    Check out the Cannondale Flash 29 Carbon. You get the Lefty, lifetime warranty, bb30, and a really smart build for the $$.

    I just went through the same buying/thought process you are going though now and got the Flash 2. So far, I love it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    278
    Or one of the Orbea Alma builds, although if you like Scott's geo you'll hate Orbea's.

  12. #12
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    2011 season is upon us, time to sort out the valiant steed for the season.
    I'm set on the On*One 29er racer, but those lads have been slacking and pre-order is like Jan, soo....


    ... Plan B, get a something else and then decide if to swap the frame later.

    I'm right at 200# and tend to break stuff, but again will be using this solely for XC racing/training. Do some endurance racing, and SS-ability of the frame would be a good thing (but not a critical requirement)

    Scott Scale Carbon 29er Pro (~$2500)
    I like the geometry, test rode the the Alu version and it fits me really well, love the slacker HA of 69.5, specs are nice and price is right.
    Heard/read too many horror stories about failures on Scott carbon bikes, and right now this is the main thing holding me back on this puppy. I'm a heavy rider and so this is the main area of concern.
    Now, with the warranty and a backup plan to go to the On*One frame later this is still probably a good choice. Not too jazzed with the 3x10, that would go 2x10 right away, if not 1x10. Components are not as good as the Spesh.

    FRAME Scale 29 Carbon IMP3 technology / HMF NET
    Tapered Headtube / PM 160 Disc
    Carbon dropout / PFBB92
    Replaceable hanger
    SDS shock damping system
    FORK Rock Shox Reba 29 RL / Air spring
    Tapered steerer / Pop Loc remote Lockout
    Rebound adjustable
    100 mm travel
    HEADSET Ritchey Comp Tapered 1.5“ - 1 1/8“
    semi integrated 50 / 61mm
    DERAILLEUR (REAR) Sram X.9 / long cage / 30 Speed
    DERAILLEUR (FRONT) Shimano SLX / FC-M660-10 / 34.9mm clamp
    SHIFTERSSram X.7 Trigger adjustable clamp with matchmaker clamp
    BRAKES Avid Elixir 5
    185/F and 160/R mm Rotor
    CRANKSET Shimano FC-M552 / 2-piece Design
    42A x 32A x 24T
    BB-SET Shimano SM-BB71-41A / shell 41x89.5mm
    HANDLEBAR Scott Hot Rod Flat 9 bend / 660 mm / Scott Lockon grips
    H'STEM Scott Comp / 4 Bolt Oversize 31.8mm 1 1/8“ / -6 angle
    SEATPOST Scott RC 03-60 / 34.9mm
    SEAT Selle Italy Scott Custom / FEC rails
    HUB (FRONT) Scott Disc Pro Disc IT
    HUB (REAR) DT Swiss 370 Disc IT
    CASSETTE Sram PG 1050 / 12-36 T
    SPOKES DT Swiss Champion Black 1.8mm
    RIM SDT Swiss 485d 32H
    TIRES Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO 29 x 2.25 127EPI Kevlar Bead / Tubeless ready


    Specialized Stumpjumper Expert EVO R 29 (~$3000)
    Test rode this one too (actual the S-works) and to be honest I'm not impressed with the geometry. HA is way too steep (71deg) and the bike feels too sketchy for my taste. Build is fine and I know the frame is rock solid, way less stories about failures, and this is probably the 3rd year, so I'm sure they have sorted out most of the stuff. I had great esperience with Spesh warranty dept. so no worries there. Again, with the idea of swapping the frame later, the geometry ma not be too big of a deal. Better components, X.0 stuff and no silly thin seatstays. Don't like the 'custom' stuff, but I can probably live with it. Comes already 1x10, which is what I wanted anyway.

    FRAME: FACT 8m carbon, 29" geometry, FACT IS construction, tapered HT, carbon PF-30 BB, hollow carbon dropouts, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger
    FORK: Custom RockShox Reba 29 w/Brain, inertia valve damper, air spring, tapered alloy steerer, Brain Fade and rebound adj., QR, 90mm travel
    HEADSET 1-1/8" and 1-1/2" Threadless, Campy style upper with 1.5" lower, cartridge bearings
    STEM Specialized XC, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm clamp, adjustable rise
    HANDLEBARS S-Works XC Carbon flat bar, uni-directional carbon, 680mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 31.8mm
    GRIPS Specialized lock-on, 15.5/17.5: Grappler, Other: Rocca
    BRAKES Custom Avid Elixir CR SL, hydraulic disc, pad contact & reach adj., alloy backed semi-metallic pads, stainless hardware, 160mm rotor
    FRONT DERAILLEUR e* thirteen XCX chain guide, 34.9 clamp mount
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X.0, 10-speed, short cage
    SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X.9, 10-speed, aluminum trigger
    CASSETTE Shimano HG81, 10-speed, 11-36t
    CHAIN KMC X10, 10-speed, w/ reuseable Missing Link, nickel plates
    CRANKSET Custom SRAM Carbon S-2200, 34t single ring, PF-30, removeable spider, 15.5: 170mm, others: 175mm
    CHAINRINGS 34t, 7050 ring with CNC detail
    BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM PF-30, OS press-in bearing, sealed cartridge
    RIMS Custom DT Swiss X450SL, 29" rim, 24mm w/ eyelets, 32h
    FRONT HUB Specialized Hi Lo disc, laser-etched logo, OS 28 end caps, sealed cartridge bearing, RWS, 32h
    REAR HUB Custom DT Swiss 330SL, alloy cassette body, RWS, 32h
    TIRES S-Works Renegade, 120 TPI, 2Bliss ready aramid bead, dual compound, 29x1.95"
    SADDLE Specialized BG Phenom Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm width
    SEATPOST 2014 butted alloy, single bolt setback, 27.2mm, 15.5/17.5": 350mm, others: 400mm


    Already ruled out Superfly, Orbea Alma and Niner for other various reasons.
    Looked at Ti frames as well, but I think I want a plastic bike now.

    Comments/ideas/suggestions much appreciated.
    You may want to wait for the On-One Lurcher. The slightly heavier duty version of the 29er Race and with Swapouts for geared or singlespeed setup. Lower price, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter29er
    that's a nice on*one frame...any idea on the pricing?
    Roughly $1250 for the 29er Race. $700 for the Lurcher.

    http://on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/...-inches-report
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You may want to wait for the On-One Lurcher. The slightly heavier duty version of the 29er Race and with Swapouts for geared or singlespeed setup. Lower price, too.
    The Lurcher has my name all over it, beefier carbon, swapouts, Death Star black.... can't wait for it. I wish it was sooner than later.
    At that price I'll probably get one of each.
    Last edited by Zen_Turtle; 12-11-2010 at 10:47 PM.
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  15. #15
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    If you must here's some other plastic explosives to consider:

    Jamis
    Felt
    Trek/Fisher
    The list is very long.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=661637
    Most of these are not available for a test ride, which doesn't help me.
    I rode the Superfly and kiled it, but wouldn't buy a Trek (call it personal reasons)
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  16. #16
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix
    Why did you rule out the niner?
    Mostly price, too expensive.
    Not a fan of EBB or similar.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: foofighter275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Roughly $1250 for the 29er Race. $700 for the Lurcher.

    http://on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/...-inches-report
    thx!! that lurcher is really well priced and if you think about it the 29er race isnt bad either
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

    Terminal Pholocity

  18. #18
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,955
    OT: I want that On-One fork!
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    35
    My on one sample flys now the seat is the right height,its 22.5lb with my winter bits on,got a carbon lefty sl 29er crest wheels & some xtr bits for it now hopefully that will bring it down to around 21lb.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,135
    Roughly $1250 for the 29er Race. $700 for the Lurcher.

    http://on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/...-inches-report
    __________________
    So I doubt if the pricing estimate could possibly be accurate. (unless for the frame AND fork) It doesn't sound like any pricing they have done relative to any of the other new stuff released.


    If it turns out that On-one have over priced the 29er carbon race that much higher (~ 40%:: 20 to max 30% would be more appropriate and fair) than the 456 26 carbon & Whippet??, I would not be interested, (EDIT: "maybe" it just shows GREED as they see the rising 29er market and breaks the honesty and wonderful marketing they have had with their traditional margins: EDIT: That is why I doubt that the pricing is accurate as I would not expect this from them.)

    BUT, it sure looks like they hit the nail on the head with the Lurcher being targeted just right price wise. (but with a .44 lb weight penalty, yet STILL lighter than the niner air nine carbon frame and a hell of allot more reasonable price wise. )

    Still, Honfu frames at a 500 bucks price point look pretty good now. (same factory) Or Sette Carbon Razzo 29er when they get it out later this year (maybe from exact same Chinese producers in this market.)
    Stumpy with one of the new Cane Creek angleset headsets?

    Not sure if that would work, but if so, about a hundred bucks buys you the slacker HT angle you're looking for.

    I have high hopes for that product. If it works out, it should expand everyones list of possible bikes significantly, since we'll no longer have to rule out otherwise attractive choices due to the geo being steeper or slacker than desired.
    If that is a 56mm id zero stack bottom on the carbon 29er stumpy, it should work. Call CaneCreek they will probably know for sure.

    I know it will fit most standard lower stack onepointfive, such as the hongfu.....or for that matter the on-one pictured above.(Or...as I have one on my Tallboy to steepen headangle slightly, btw, it DOES make a nice difference.)
    >> additional BS
    I know the FIXed cost for 29ers of building the molds and all are probably proportionally higher (but as such, would that not also be reflected in the pricing of the Lurcher 29er?) Vat & exchange rates have nothing to do with it.
    Sorry if sounds too cynical but original price estimates for this much anticipated frame were right in-line with everything else new they are doing (and not such a red flag.)
    Also, note the reaction is probably based on some bad pricing estimates as I do not expect this to be true from On-one, but if it is; then it is out of line because of a "new" marketing strategy. (Someones gotta pay for Titus acquisition/purchase right ? )
    Last edited by ghawk; 12-13-2010 at 06:47 AM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,749
    I second (or third?) waiting for the lurcher to come out. You don't have to buy it, but if it turns out to be brilliant you might regret buying something else for more cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    If it turns out that On-one have over priced the 29er carbon race that much higher (~ 40%) than the 456 26 carbon & Whippet, I would not be interested, (just shows GREED as they see the rising 29er market and breaks the honesty and wonderful marketing they have had with their traditional margins)
    Or maybe it's that 29ers are a much, much smaller market than 26in hardtails, or that they are using a more expensive lay up, or the molds cost more, or any number of things.

    Even sold at +50% of the 456C it still undercuts a lot of Alu 29ers in the UK, nevermind the few carbon ones available here which it undercuts by about 1000.
    With the exception of Ebay frames like the Hong Fu it will be the second cheapest carbon 29er in europe (after the Lurcher). That the exchange rates wouldn't work out very well for US buyers isn't Planet X's fault.
    Also the Lurcher will be the same price as the 456C/Whippet.

    John B and the rest of Planet X have been around for years now, they've never been out to rip anyone off while they made their money.
    Apologies but your reaction hit a bit of a nerve, you're being a overly cynical about their intentions there.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    42

    Ellsworth Enlightenment 29er!!

    21 lbs with Crest 29er/DT 240's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Decision time: 29er Carbon Racer-002.jpg  


  23. #23
    DG5
    DG5 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DG5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    234
    I'll take the pound or so with the On-one frame over that effin-ugly Ellsworth.
    I love my bike.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by DG5
    I'll take the pound or so with the On-one frame over that effin-ugly Ellsworth.
    Sorry for the dis.

    The Lurcher could be a winner. I just don't we'll see it until June, not the quoted April.

    Fyi, I don't like the Scott's slack head angle and unfortunately it isn't compatible with the Angleset. Scott chose to go with a Ritchey headset standard that is 1mm different from Cane Creek.
    2 wheels

  25. #25
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    I'm realistic about the On-One and I know it will be too late in the season.
    This is why I'm looking at these two alternatives, the plan being to swap the frame once the On-One finally comes out.
    Also the On-One is frame only, hence the idea to get a good deal on components buying complete bike. With that in mind probably it doesn't matter too much about the geo of the Spesh and/or the reliability concerns of Scott.

    So the questions are:
    - Which build is better in terms of components? (me think Spesh)
    - Which of the two frames will have a higher/better resale value in 6 monts or so?

    I know is hard, but please refrain from suggesting other brands/bikes, I'm pretty sure I've looked to them all.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,225
    FYI: You can easily slacken the HTA of the Specialized by pulling a spacer out of the fork. That will get you 100mm of travel and make the bike about 1* slacker.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    So the questions are:
    - Which build is better in terms of components? (me think Spesh)
    - Which of the two frames will have a higher/better resale value in 6 monts or so?
    Resale value: The Spesh.

    Scott's bleed value, they have a reputation for being one/two seasons then scrap racing frames. Whether it's fair or not the perception is there and it kills resale.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,000
    My vote is for the specialized, although I'm a bigger fan of 2x10 for racing. Specialized has been building 29ers for longer than scott, and the less than 70 degree headtube angle on the scott seems a bit out of place on an XC race frame.

  29. #29
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab
    FYI: You can easily slacken the HTA of the Specialized by pulling a spacer out of the fork. That will get you 100mm of travel and make the bike about 1* slacker.
    This is interesting, do you know that for a fact?
    thanks
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  30. #30
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    This is interesting, do you know that for a fact?
    thanks
    ZT
    For every 17-20mm of fork length change the frame angles change by 1 degree. That is HTA and STA.

    Longer fork = slacker
    Shorter fork = steeper

    Also note than forks of the same travel from different companies can be of different lengths.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  31. #31
    Let's fly!
    Reputation: MultiRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by the-milkybar-kid
    My on one sample flys now the seat is the right height,its 22.5lb with my winter bits on,got a carbon lefty sl 29er crest wheels & some xtr bits for it now hopefully that will bring it down to around 21lb.
    What kind of seat post is that? Very cool.
    I'd go for the Specialized due to resale as well.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

  32. #32
    jms
    jms is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,229

    Proprietary

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    - Which build is better in terms of components? (me think Spesh)
    You'd better find out which components are proprietary to the Specialized frame [fork, cranks and BB?] before going this route.
    My Favorite Peeps:

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,225
    The 2011 specialized frames use a standard tapered steerer and a standard Press Fit 30BB.

    The cranks will work in a BB30 or PF30 frame.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: swill'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    188
    Slightly OT: Anyone out there with a trail/AM/XC carbon with a 120mm yet? Or is this blasphemy? The price of the Lurcher has got me thinking. Could drop close to two pounds over my steel frame, and still have a plush ride for trail cruising or race day. Flame on if you feel so inclined...

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by DG5
    I'll take the pound or so with the On-one frame over that effin-ugly Ellsworth.
    I agree. Those Ellsworths are hideous, but to each his own.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    64

    request

    hello, that size is?

  37. #37
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by swill'n
    Slightly OT: Anyone out there with a trail/AM/XC carbon with a 120mm yet? Or is this blasphemy? The price of the Lurcher has got me thinking. Could drop close to two pounds over my steel frame, and still have a plush ride for trail cruising or race day. Flame on if you feel so inclined...
    To be honest I was thinking the same thing and replace my beloved steel Inbred and definitely drop more than a couple pounds.
    the only problem so far is the On*One folks being such slackers....
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  38. #38
    Now broadcasting from CO
    Reputation: PAmtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    2011 season is upon us, time to sort out the valiant steed for the season.
    I'm set on the On*One 29er racer, but those lads have been slacking and pre-order is like Jan, soo....
    Personally, unless you don't have another bike to carry you through the winter, I would order the On-One and wait for it. I wouldn't waste the money/time buying something you don't really want then selling it later when you can get what you want. Just my $0.02...
    Brought to you by rocks.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,938
    Someone suggested a Cannondale Flash. I scrolled down but didn't see an explanation why you're not considering that bike. Maybe because of slow delivery times?

  40. #40
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    Someone suggested a Cannondale Flash. I scrolled down but didn't see an explanation why you're not considering that bike. Maybe because of slow delivery times?
    Not a fan of the Lefty, it's ugly and it's too custom.
    Other than that the HA is still 71d.
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  41. #41
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    Personally, unless you don't have another bike to carry you through the winter, I would order the On-One and wait for it. I wouldn't waste the money/time buying something you don't really want then selling it later when you can get what you want. Just my $0.02...
    That's Plan C
    On the other hand it wouldn't hurt to try something else while I wait.
    That would also prevent me from burning the money I got from selling the Blur XC in booze and babes...
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    Not a fan of the Lefty, it's ugly and it's too custom.
    Other than that the HA is still 71d.
    You can sell the Lefty for top $$ and easily pay for a new Fox or Reba. Also, Lefties have a shorter a2c length for similar travel amounts so replacing the fork would slack the bike out a little bit

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: swill'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    To be honest I was thinking the same thing and replace my beloved steel Inbred and definitely drop more than a couple pounds.
    the only problem so far is the On*One folks being such slackers....
    ZT
    Okay...So I'm not crazy? Be sure and let everyone know when these frames actually start to ship. I may be willing to be one of the guinea pigs and place my order, but I'm on the fence. Looks like we may be in uncharted waters, in terms of practicality reliability for possible AM 120mm+ application. Wonder if this would cause too much stress or invalidate a warranty given pretty aggressive use.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPH KID
    Last year I raced a Scott Scale with no problems, great bike!
    My choice would be the Specialized, it looks even sweeter in person and you get a Brain fork and X0 RD.
    Brain fork = Fox Terralogic

    X0 < XTR

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: worthy_4242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    741
    as you know Marco, I have the spesh and love it but i am looking for a new one, so i can waste more $$$$

    i am thinking 29er s/s this time

  46. #46
    Let's fly!
    Reputation: MultiRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    431
    Wow, I think the Epiphany is one of the best looking bikes on the planet. No, I don't own one. I just really like how they look.
    Last edited by MultiRider; 12-26-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

  47. #47
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Now this changes everything:


    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dmx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    Now this changes everything:


    Yep, imagine that frame with a rigid tapered Niner fork and some funky german (Tune, AX Lightness,...) parts......

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    Now this changes everything:
    Wouldn't this still apply?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    Mostly price, too expensive.
    Not a fan of EBB or similar.
    This thread has got me trying to find reasons not to buy a Lurcher in a large 20" frame when they become available. I don't race enough to pay the extra for the 200 grs lighter Race version. I have a perfectly good scandium Air 9 as my lightweight hardtail with plenty of life left in it and a SIR9 on order to run SS, which will be built up as soon as the Niner carbon forks become available again.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    36
    Regarding the Santa Cruz shown above....

    Doesn't the seat-stay crown seem really close to the tire? Could mud clearance be an issue? Or is just for clean short-track racing?

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: worthy_4242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    741
    Zen, is that your new ride. Looking forward to seeing you at cccx in the spring for a few moment at the beginning.

    If so, nice ride

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    96
    OK, I must be missing something here... the Scale the OP is comparing to the Specialized has neither the Terralogic nor an XTR.




    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33
    Brain fork = Fox Terralogic

    X0 < XTR

  53. #53
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma
    Wouldn't this still apply?
    Theoretically yes, but this is Santa Cruz, not Niner
    And there's no EBB or similar silliness.

    I'm getting a Lurcher for sure, but not as a XC racer.
    This SC bike just moved the OnOne racer 29 in second place (for me)
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  54. #54
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,176
    Quote Originally Posted by worthy_4242
    Zen, is that your new ride. Looking forward to seeing you at cccx in the spring for a few moment at the beginning.

    If so, nice ride
    Hi Wade, I wish. This is just announced new rig form Santa Cruz.
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/12/23/...cruz-hardtail/

    I'll be at CCCX, but racing SS again, most likely on my OnOne Inbred, since none of these brands seems to be able to deliver a frame in time for next season...
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.