mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Is this a decent bike at a decent price?

$800 at the moment.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Orbea-MX-29-Max-18

I don't like the fact that I can't ride it first but I am not sufficiently current to know if I can do better or not for $800.

I don't like the fact I can't take it for a test ride before buying.

I like the fact that it has a not super slack geometry as my understanding is that slack geometry gives you faster downhill stability at the expense of flat terrain responsiveness. I care not about going fast downhill.

Looking for something that I can ride on the street on gravel and on moderate NE single track.

I want a rack mount.

Is the fork reasonable? - Rock Shox 30 Silver TK 100 Air Remote QR

Tires seems to be very low end but easily swapped out. - Kenda K1153 2,35" 30TPI

Is a direct mount derailleur a good thing, a bad thing or just different? - Shimano SLX M7000 GS Shadow Plus Direct Mount

What say you? Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Bikesexual
    I suggested that bike on another post but it was shutdown due to geometry. I think is solid specd for a stater bike.

Have you seen the Kona Unit X Jenson's has? It is rigid, but steel and I think you will appreciate the newer geo.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    The geo on that orbea should be avoided

If your on a budget, check craigslist for a nice local hardtail.

If you want new, the kona kahuna looks decent (no affiliation):
    https://mtbbikesforsale.com/products...tain-Bike.html

Geo available here:
    KONA BIKES | 2016 BIKES | KAHUNA | Kahuna DL

Cycologist
    Looks like they only have it in XL so I hope that is your size. The fork isn't the greatest but probably better than you would normally find at that price point. The head tube is definitely steep by today's standards; even my bikes aren't that steep. What are you riding now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Take a look at Chain Reaction. When I was looking for a lower budget bike for my daughter, nothing in the US could touch some of the bikes they have, even after including shipping.

Here's one for $750 with a little more modern geo
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod159766

Vitus
    OG Ripley v2

slow
    Depends on your experience and terrain, but I'd ride it in my terrain with my level of experience. All of my bikes have steeper head tubes and shorter wheel bases than that one and none of my bikes has tried to kill me yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I am (still) riding a Bridgestone MB5 from the early 90s. I would need a large so this one is out but there is a 27.5 version in large available for $750.

I want something that I can put a rack on. I think this requirement takes out most of the bikes in the market and leaves only entry level bikes like the Trek Marlin and Cannondale Trail series. I think these come with coil forks even at $1000.

The Vitus bikes seem to be untouchable in terms of value but none of their frames are rackmount and the super slack geometry doesn't appear to be what I want. This too has the negative of not being able to ride before I buy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Tubus makes a variety of parts for adapting racks onto bikes that lack mounts.

https://www.bikeshophub.com/product-...us-accessories

People also use P-clamps, which are re-purposed from your hardware store: "P-Clamps" Are Your Friends! | BikeCommuters.com

If rack mount options are a top priority try to find a used Surly in your price range. Very adaptable frames with all the mounts you could want. They can be at home on pavement, gravel, or singletrack. I think almost any of their touring or trail bikes would fit your needs. Which you pick depends on where you want to prioritize performance. The touring models have steeper head angles and would prioritize gravel/street a bit but are still singletrack capable.

Edit: A couple of options on pinkbike-

Surly ECR 29+ https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2510667/

Ogre 29er https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2491615/
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What aspects of the ride are you trying ot improve over your MB5?
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    For starters the MB5 frame seems a bit small for on road riding. Then there is the issue of it being fatiguing to ride on single track because it's fully rigid and has 26" wheels.

So I was hoping that a bike with with a front fork, larger wheels, and 30 year newer technology I would have an easier, more fun, better time riding.

I will totally miss the thumb shifters and possibly the steel frame.