Debating a new bike, Trek Stache 7 or X Caliber 8?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Debating a new bike, Trek Stache 7 or X Caliber 8?

I have been bouncing the bikes back and forth. I ride pavement (Not main roads, but side roads or bike path) and dirt roads mostly. I do like to get on the single track to change it up and get away from it all as well. I was pretty sure I was going with the X Caliber, but I have been seeing the Stache categories as well. I'm in my fifties, so I'm not a jumper, and currently own a Marlin 6.

Thoughts, experiences?

mtbr member
    Both great bikes, with the X-Cal being more optimized for faster, more responsive and less rowdy riding than the Stache. The Stache is longer, slacker and has more travel, and with fat tires is more suited to rougher riding. IMO, the X-Cal is better suited to the riding you're describing.

The Stache is available in more higher level versions than the X-Cal with better components and even carbon frames. If you're interested in those higher levels, the Trek ProCal offers that in a package similar to the X-cal
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you can demo a Stache on some trails in your area you may benefit from the new riding info in making your decision. Often new riders don't know what's available in their area because they've never had a bike meant for trails. Not many here choose primarily dirt road riding when fun challenging trails are nearby.

Search Singletrack and your town or area to see lists and reviews.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by joker357 View Post
    I have been bouncing the bikes back and forth. I ride pavement (Not main roads, but side roads or bike path) and dirt roads mostly. I do like to get on the single track to change it up and get away from it all as well. I was pretty sure I was going with the X Caliber, but I have been seeing the Stache categories as well. I'm in my fifties, so I'm not a jumper, and currently own a Marlin 6.

Thoughts, experiences?

Agree the X-Cal sounds like a bike for the riding you're describing, but a few weeks on a Stache and you might find yourself turning around to take a second look at the smaller jumps and obstacles you used to pass right by. Amazing what slack geometry can do for your confidence, even at 50ish.

I hate it when someone posts advice on a specfic bike and eveyone offers up some other options , but I feel compelled to say this, considering your age: I rode hardtails for 40+ years of riding, but on a whim I bought a used Epic Comp 29 suspension bike two years ago. I loved it. Unfortunately it was stolen from me last year so I replaced it with a lightly used Trek Superfly HT. I couldn't believe how much more the hardtail was beating me up after just one year on suspension. Never had an issue when I was younger, but I sure began to feel it now that I'm in my fifties. Sold off the Superfly a month ago and picked up a new Trance 29er. OMG. what a difference. Even on the pavement and light trails. The plush geometry of the Trance has me riding parts of trails I haven't hit in years, including jumps and drops I'd bypass on the hardtail and the Epic.

Might I recommend you take a full suspension for a spin before you go hardtail. The Trek Top Fuel or EX 7 would be worth a look. You might be pleasantly surprised. Both were on sale at my local shop just yesterday at a pretty sizeable discount.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Great information, I appreciate everyone's thoughts and the Trek ProCal is one I hadn't really looked at. Now I have 3 bikes I'm debating, lol.

mtbr member
    I'm a 50+ year old and have a niner jet 9, primer, and stache, and of those 3 I find the stache the most fun but I come from a BMX and MX background so ymmv.
    29+ tires, however, on the asphalt sounds too expensive.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trek is bringing a Supercaliber with a small amount of rear travel out soon.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/trek/superca...d-1103589.html
    Bike picture at post 24.

Debating a new bike, Trek Stache 7 or X Caliber 8?-1111new-trek-xc.png

mtbr member
    I will be 56 next month. I have a Stache 7 and a Breezer lightning 29er hardtail. The Stache gets ridden every time I'm on the dirt and 19 out 20 times I'm on the pavement. It is an amazing bike. As was mentioned earlier the tires are expensive but the XR2's last for quite a while.

I don't do gap jumps but I do like the 2-3' kicker jumps and drops. The Stache handles those with ease. It will make you start doing things you never thought you would. The 29+ tires are very special.

I see that according to your profile that you live in Arkansas. There are some great trails there. I've had my Stache there twice up in NWA and also at Lake Ouachita on the LOViT and Womble trails. It has been a great bike. I have never wished for more.

My $0.02 would be that if 80% of your riding is going to be on pavement get the X-Caliber but if it's any less get the Stache. Soon you will be riding more dirt.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice assessment Huckleberry, I do live in Arkansas and just getting into riding shape and starting to venture more. I'm a transplant from the northeast when they shut my workplace down and was transfered. I'm going to have to go to the bike shop and put eyes on the xcaliber and Stache as well as my was if they'll let me, lol.

Thank you to all that have replied this far