The DEAN Customer Experience- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The DEAN Customer Experience

Has anyone had poor service from DEAN Bikes? I ordered a frame from their auction in October which is a bit more like a marketing ploy than anything else from what I can tell. I'm sure they make a killing from selling their frames for $1400 retail. When they hold auctions they don't really post where the bidding is at until they get around to it, and it isn't like the frame is just laying around on the floor somewhere waiting for a buyer - it's built to your specifications just like the rest of them. I like this idea. It's cool, and lets people get their frames at a lower price when they're trying to be price conscious.

But. It's now nearing the middle of January, and the frame that was promised to me at the beginning of November is still "a week and a half away". I understand that these guys are busy, but an investment in a P.R. guy would really make them a much more appealing builder in my book. At this point I'd rather go with a steel frame from one of the local shops and get my damn race bike built before the sun comes back out. I've left so many unanswered phone messages with them it's anyone's best guess as to why they even have an answering machine in the first place. I've even been left hangining as though I was blatantly deceived when one of their employees told me that the bike was on the builders desk and should be completed soon.

I've been very patient through the whole ordeal as recommended by a post on MTBR. But it has come to the point where I've virtually given up. Over 3 months have gone by - a quarter of an entire year - and I still don't have a frame. Come on DEAN... at least do some EDUCATED guessing when you tell your customers what to expect if you don't want to see all these negitive messages being posted on places like MTBR.COM and BIKEMONKEY.NET

Customer service is the glue that keeps your business running. No matter how good your product is, you're still pissing people off by not being straight with them.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clayperez
    Has anyone had poor service from DEAN Bikes?
    there are stories like yours all over these boards. Personally I ordered a Ionic (steel dean) in august and cancelled it when they had yet to cut the tubes mid November, after telling me it was at paint the week before.

I then ordered a custom vicious that shold be on my doorstep tomorrow.

Dean makes some sweet bikes but their customer service leaves much to be desired, I think one guy here has been waiting for a softail since like June or July.

maybe if enough people cancel orders and take their money elsewhere then they'll get the picture.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    3 months? That nothing with Dean If they stretch it out over 5 months is when you should get worried. I have ordered 2 Deans one took 15 weeks the other 18 weeks both were promised in 4 weeks. It’s just the way they do business and its no secret around here. The bikes are a good price and excellent design and craftsmanship though. I have a 26” SS and a road bike from them and absolutely love them both.

mtbr member
    Just out of curiosity what did you end up paying for your frame? I just ordered a Colonel 29er yesterday, no discount. I wonder if my build time will be different than yours. One would think that if selling these frames at a discount through auction was such an inconvience that the builder would be unable to complete it in a timely fashion they just wouldn't do it. It seems like a disservice to both parties... I hope you get your bike soon.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Mtbr could probably start a new "Waiting For My Dean" forum that would easily rival "Everything Drivetrain." The auction thing is an interesting twist though. Why is Dean auctioning off unbuilt custom frames when they can't even meet the retail-price demand in a satisfactoring timeframe? And the whole customer communication thing is just silly. Why repeatedly lie to your customers? I think what it all comes down to is - good framebuilders, bad business folks. The Dean guys aren't the only ones. S

giddy up!
    Unfortunately that is the name of the game with Dean. If you want your frame in a reasonable time frame find another builder.

I waited 11 weeks and cancelled when I found out the tubes weren't ordered yet. This was after I was told that my bare TI frame was at paint.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Moderator Moderator
    Pete is the guy to talk with there. He is really responsive (at least for me) and called me back if he couldn't get an answer right away. John and the Aussie guy always blew me off....
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trouble here as well...

I probably shouldn't be posting this, but I ride for DEAN bikes and was told the same things that you all were when waiting for my bike. I was given a 6-8 week time frame when I ordered the bike and it ended up being 16 weeks and I had to send it back because my 2.1 kenda's rubbed on the chain stays. It was frustrating because I like the rest of you were told "another week to week to ten days" for 2.5 months. It is to bad that they are so poor at costomer service because my colonel 29er is probably the best frame I have ever ridden especially for the money. Maybe the link to this page should be forwarded on to them so they can see what the biking (or at least the 29er) community thinks about there service and maybe they will make some changes. Though you may have to email it to them several time to get a response...just my 2 cents

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbr
    Maybe the link to this page should be forwarded on to them so they can see what the biking (or at least the 29er) community thinks about there service and maybe they will make some changes. Though you may have to email it to them several time to get a response...just my 2 cents
    :-)

Start an email campaign now, they'll respond in the spring....

Actually, I have no experience with them, that just sounded funny.

That Ti Dean 29er hardtail that someone has on this board is the best looking 29er hardtail I've ever seen.
    FS: Everything

I'm how far behind?
    I ordered mine last week, the order went smooth, they went out of their way to work with me to get the bike for what I wanted to pay (mix and matching build kits etc). I know two people who have delt with John and only John and had nothing but good things to say. Time will tell!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great guys...but

Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer
    I ordered mine last week, the order went smooth, they went out of their way to work with me to get the bike for what I wanted to pay (mix and matching build kits etc). I know two people who have delt with John and only John and had nothing but good things to say. Time will tell!

no the best customer service. I love talking with the guys. They are great to talk when I get a hold of someone, I just wish they would have given a straight answer and not given me the run around it just kind of left a sour taste in my mouth.

What's up Dut?
    Mar 2004

My Dean experience

First off, I do like my Dean. It is a sweet ride. I ordered the frame on Sept 25th or so. I was quoted a 3-4 week lead time at that time. I thought, sweet! Well, that was not the true lead time as I finally got the frame just before Thanksgiving. That puts it about 2 months or 8 weeks. Than, they didn't even get some of the aestistics (sp?) worked out properly. The wrong decals were used and the cable routings were ran in the wrong place. I wanted them on the under side of the down tube and they put them on the underside of the top tube. It still looks like a sweet ride and it does ride very nice. I worked with John and James. They were responsive to me and did answer my questions. They were not too quick to do anything about the fact that the frame was not made as I had requested it. They didn't even truly acknowledge it. Oh well...I have learned my lesson about ordering a custom frame from them. I will be much more conscientious about the next custom frame I buy, if I do buy one.

Here is a pic of my Dean just shortly after the initial final build. There is another pic on this board of me standing near my Dean after encountering some mud.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's up Dut?
    Mar 2004

here's my other pic

Don't get me wrong, despite the minor issues that I had with Dean, I am truly digging this bike.

Also, my Dean now sports a Ti Moots setback seatpost.
    Attached Images Attached Images