Deal or No Deal: 2011 Talus Sport?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Deal or No Deal: 2011 Talus Sport?

Local dealer has a 2011 Talus Sport on sale at $599. or $50. off regular price. I sat on it, but since it was raining, did not take it for a ride.
    It's entry level and wanting to know if I should be checking out anything else in this price range. I'm a little suspect of Promax brakes and this Suntour suspension. And yes, BikesDirect is an option too as I have their Clockwork single speed and it's been great.

Raleigh Bicycles Talus Sport 29
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hmm have you checked out specialized disc 29 or the sport disc 29? both are in that range(though the sport is 620) or the trek marlin? theyre roughly all the same price. take them all for a ride

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by jimx200 View Post
    Local dealer has a 2011 Talus Sport on sale at $599. or $50. off regular price. I sat on it, but since it was raining, did not take it for a ride.
    It's entry level and wanting to know if I should be checking out anything else in this price range. I'm a little suspect of Promax brakes and this Suntour suspension. And yes, BikesDirect is an option too as I have their Clockwork single speed and it's been great.

Raleigh Bicycles Talus Sport 29
    I had a Raleigh...very heavy frame and heavy wheelset. It worked fine and fit well, but I got sick of a 32 pound HT rather quickly. If you don't do much climbing, it would be fine.

The Promax are basically Avid Juicys and work pretty well but can be noisy. The Suntour is heavy and very entry level. My Raleigh had a air-sprung Tora at least.

I think you'd get more for your money with Trek/Giant/Specialized at this price point. Maybe you could use that as a bargaining chip? Considering Trek has a 20% off sale (some models) right now, I'd pass unless he drops down to $450 or less.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hmm where is this sale at? only sales i can find online were for summer? edit: ahh nm. found the end of year sale and the sale is waay out of his price range. cheapest bike in that sale is 1999.99

Is dang happy!

?

Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    I had a Raleigh...very heavy frame and heavy wheelset. It worked fine and fit well, but I got sick of a 32 pound HT rather quickly. If you don't do much climbing, it would be fine.

The Promax are basically Avid Juicys and work pretty well but can be noisy. The Suntour is heavy and very entry level. My Raleigh had a air-sprung Tora at least.

I think you'd get more for your money with Trek/Giant/Specialized at this price point. Maybe you could use that as a bargaining chip? Considering Trek has a 20% off sale (some models) right now, I'd pass unless he drops down to $450 or less.
    Heavy frame? It is a aluminum hardtail, not much difference in weight there.

The Suntour fork has 30mm stanchions and a hydraulic damper/lockout, Quality wise it probably comes in between a Dart and a Tora and weighs about the same. (Not as leaky as the Dart's in my experience).

The promax (mechanical) brakes are a pain to set up and probably suck compared to some cheap BB-5's but I do not have the balls to try them out. Like every other bike in this price range it makes some compromises but is not particularly heavy or any worse than what the bigger brands can offer.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ah quick question about bb5s. how do they compare to bb7s? i know the bb7s are the best(or so ive read here and other places) mechanical disc brakes but wondering if theyre that much better than 5s to be worth the +100 dollars to upgrade? thanks

Is dang happy!

Imo

Quote Originally Posted by gillotte View Post
    ah quick question about bb5s. how do they compare to bb7s? i know the bb7s are the best(or so ive read here and other places) mechanical disc brakes but wondering if theyre that much better than 5s to be worth the +100 dollars to upgrade? thanks
    The BB-5 are fine if they came on your bike, the smaller pads wear out faster and the lack of a second outboard pad adjuster makes them harder to set up but they sure feel better than the Promax and Shimano mechanicals at the lever. I have replaced more worn out BB5 mechanicals than BB-7's at the shop so the seals and bearings are probably not as good either.

If you need more power and are on a budget I would suggest you get a single BB-7 with a step up in rotor size for the front and if you need a more positive feeling brake get some hydraulics.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Heavy frame? It is a aluminum hardtail, not much difference in weight there.

The Suntour fork has 30mm stanchions and a hydraulic damper/lockout, Quality wise it probably comes in between a Dart and a Tora and weighs about the same. (Not as leaky as the Dart's in my experience).

The promax (mechanical) brakes are a pain to set up and probably suck compared to some cheap BB-5's but I do not have the balls to try them out. Like every other bike in this price range it makes some compromises but is not particularly heavy or any worse than what the bigger brands can offer.
    I dunno. My Raleigh with a single butted AL frame was heavy. Sorry...though they were the Promax hydro model brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    All good info, thanks guys. Btw, the brakes are Promax mechanical and so low end and since I'm coming from Avid brakes, don't think I will be happy with these. My search continues.
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

mtbr member
    I purchased the Raleigh Talus 29 Xl frame about 6 monthes ago my first Mountain bike. For my Size and weight it was the best option for me. I'm 6'4'' 330 lbs. The bike handles great. No regrets