Darn it, Brant...- Mtbr.com
    Stayin' Puft

Darn it, Brant...

So I was this big Fleegle fan...two sets installed and waiting for new stock on a "Pro" supposedly in October.

Then I picked up a new Carnegie's Bar for the winter fixie...wanted to get the bars up a bit relative to where my old leftover straight bar put things.

But now I am conflicted. These things are comfortable! I don't even miss the width so far, only a couple rides in, but...now I have to order another one. And most of my stems are 25.4, so...humph. If the Carnegies was available without the rise, it would be just purely awesome for my other couple bikes that don't need the rise. Even though it puts my hands back slightly. But as-is...here's how it looks on the ol' El Mar:

Side view, got it slightly angled down and that is a zero-degree Thomson:

Here is the diff from the Salsa 5 degree I just took off:
    Last edited by canyonrat; 09-06-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Really I am that slow

can these be had

in the us yet?

or is it a pay shipping from the uk dealo?
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Stayin' Puft
    Yeah bro I paid for Royal Mail from chainreaction. At least we don't pay VAT in the US....yet...

It was like $73 bucks total.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How is the dampening? Any flex? I noticed a huge dampening effect switching from a flat bar to the Fleegle.

mtbr member
    Cheers for the nice words.
    I'll have a talk to our factory and see if we can get them made with no rise without having to spunk on new tooling. I doubt it. We're looking at doing a set with the graphics inverted for the folks that run them flipped.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How about some that are much narrower? I need some 580-620mm big sweep bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    How about some that are much narrower? I need some 580-620mm big sweep bars.
    We currently make mountainbike parts for trail riding. That sounds more like a city/road product which isn't what I'm concentrating on right now.

I am looking at various other bar designs, so we might have something, but I cut down Fu bar maybe?? ?

Powered by ice cream.
    31.8 Mary equivalent???
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Stayin' Puft
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    How is the dampening? Any flex? I noticed a huge dampening effect switching from a flat bar to the Fleegle.

I have not noticed any flex...but I don't on my fleegle either. Maybe the wider stance of the rider's arms on these bars helps your elbows to flex better? Dunno. With the 31.8 clamp these things are plenty beefy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    We currently make mountainbike parts for trail riding. That sounds more like a city/road product which isn't what I'm concentrating on right now.

I am looking at various other bar designs, so we might have something, but I cut down Fu bar maybe?? ?
    Midwest narrow singletrack. Can't get the normal 660mm wide bars through the trees as easily and climbs aren't long enough to really need super wide bars. Momentum is enough. The main issue is so many of the backswept bars have a forward bend in them that doesn't allow a long enough grip area to cut it down sufficiently. But there is an aversion towards not having that bend because such a long stem is required for the same reach. I might have to get custom Jones H-bars but that will be an arm and a leg. But yeah, the FUBars are probably closest.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    31.8 Mary equivalent???
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

second that Brant...any thoughts on a higher sweep bar like the mary?
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    second that Brant...any thoughts on a higher sweep bar like the mary?
    I'm not going to make bars in "round the clock face" angles ;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat
    I have not noticed any flex...but I don't on my fleegle either. Maybe the wider stance of the rider's arms on these bars helps your elbows to flex better? Dunno. With the 31.8 clamp these things are plenty beefy.
    Which bar do you prefer for SS'ing, with regards to comfort and climbing leverage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    I'm not going to make bars in "round the clock face" angles ;-)
    I think the sweep is just right, but I second the call for a zero-rise version.

Members who have read this thread: 0