Customizing for fun.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Customizing for fun.

I bought a 2011 Giant Talon 29er 2 this summer and since I've gotten it I have upgraded just about everything except for the wheelset and fork. (Easton Haven, and Rock Shox Dart 3 coming this spring) So I have all but ran out of things to do to this bike which I am calling a Talon 0, since it is now better than the Talon 1. I've been looking into doing some cosmetic upgrades. I've looked on purelycustom.com and also the Mowa product line but haven't really found anything worth getting. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Save your $$ don't get the Dart3, get something better with 32mm stanchions like a Tora, Minute, maybe even a Reba, before you consider other blingy upgrades that will make no difference in how the bike rides - seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Dart 3 is an upgrade...from what?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah the Dart 3 isn't an upgrade. I should know, I have one.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I vote get a cheaper, BETTER set of Stans wheels and at minimum, a Tora. Take a look at Marzocchi and Manitou forks also. With forks you definitely get what you pay for. You don't want to have a blinged out bike broken down on the trail because you skimped on the fork.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    I vote get a cheaper, BETTER set of Stans wheels and at minimum, a Tora. Take a look at Marzocchi and Manitou forks also. With forks you definitely get what you pay for. You don't want to have a blinged out bike broken down on the trail because you skimped on the fork.
    X2
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Short-Change-Hero
    Or if you can find one get an RST M29 fork! Definitely spend the money on something better then the Dart3 and maybe downgrade from the Stans for the time being.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I currently have the SR Suntour SR XTC 29er fork. It is some "special" one that they make only for Giant. My beef with it isn't necessarily the handling, or all around capability of the fork, it's more a weight issue. I weighed it and it was over 5 pounds. My guy at the LBS said for a weight thing the Dart 3 has the same capabilities at almost 1.5 pounds lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camdonite
    I currently have the SR Suntour SR XTC 29er fork. It is some "special" one that they make only for Giant. My beef with it isn't necessarily the handling, or all around capability of the fork, it's more a weight issue. I weighed it and it was over 5 pounds. My guy at the LBS said for a weight thing the Dart 3 has the same capabilities at almost 1.5 pounds lighter.
    you don't want the same capabilities though, you want better. It's honestly not just snobbery, there is a night and day difference between a Dart and a RS Reba, Fox, or Manitou. It's enough of a difference that a Dart is only a fork-shaped-object in comparison.

Not only that, but a Dart 3 29er is also about 5lbs just like the Suntour. It's the other forks I mentioned that are in the <4lb weight range

Short-Change-Hero
    So do you feel that you will ride better with a lighter fork? Thing is that you will end up paying for a much lighter fork. The reason that I went with the M29 is that, while heavy, it will have many of the same capabilities as the Reba at 1/2 the price. With what you have and what you are looking to go to, you are basically going from a heavy pogo stick, to a lighter pogo stick. Why not invest a bit more money and get something that will turn those rock gardens and techy singletrack into a buttery smooth ride?

Doing a quick google search here is what I found:
    Dart 3 29er - Average price $90 (online)
    Tora TK 29er- Average price $ 190 (online)
    RST M29 - Average price $350 (online, hard to find but can be)
    Reba SL 29er - Average price $500 (online, depends on version shop)

You will get different things with each one, but progressively they get better and better, with the M29 being a very close competitor of the Reba. Now you can go used and possibly find a good deal on something but really you are trading one POS for another POS.

As I said before, maybe go with a different wheelset for the time being and spend the money on the fork. Ride the cheaper, heavier wheels for awhile and then upgrade from there. My first wheelset will not be light, looking at close to 600g per rim plus heavy entry level hubs, but eventually as I get better, start racing, etc I will invest in a set of Stans and sell off the old set or relegate them to SS duty or whatever.

Research is your friend. I do it for work and by nature so take some time. Don't just buy, think before you do.

Members who have read this thread: 0