Custom steel frames- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Custom steel frames

Been looking at custom steel frames lately, namely Walt's, Wily's and Curtlo's. Question: Do the downbending seatstays on the Curtlo's add a lot of compliancy like they did on the old Ritchey Plexus? Also, do the upbending steatstays on the Wily's take away some compliancy. Last question: which one should I get??

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    ... Last question: which one should I get??
    Vulture
    http://www.vulturecycles.com
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Witty McWitterson
    On with the game of favorite Frame builders!

www.huntercycles.com ~ Perty fillet brazing!
    www.ramblumtick.com ~ Great looking, good pricing
    www.waltworks.com ~ well, duh.

Don't we do this about every two weeks or so?
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Been looking at custom steel frames lately, namely Walt's, Wily's and Curtlo's. Question: Do the downbending seatstays on the Curtlo's add a lot of compliancy like they did on the old Ritchey Plexus? Also, do the upbending steatstays on the Wily's take away some compliancy. Last question: which one should I get??

IF or Wily

Jul 2005

A little but not as much as a soft tail

I have one...actually I just sold it...but there was a little more compliance than with straight stays but less than my soft tail. THe 29er makes the Curtlo with banana stays a winner. When Sasha at Vanilla builds me my next 29er steel frame, I would like something similar. Sold the Curtlo to pick up a nearly new 2005 Fisher 293 frame/fork/headset for $700.
    Last edited by OrBikbldr; 07-28-2005 at 10:22 PM.

N+1

ORbkebldr

When you say "A little but not as much as a soft tail" are you referring to the compliance....if so, define compliance? I'm curious because I'm talking to Curtlo about a 29er softie.

David
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mtbr member
    I've been very happy with my Wily and can't say enough good things about it. The paint looks give, the fit is spot on, and it is much more comfortable than my old fisher. I don't buy the compliant steel arguement, but I think it just has better geometry. Are you going rigid? Although I don't have one the Wily forks have a really nice stiletto look.

The bent seat stays are purely aesthetic and depending on the size you actually hardly notice them. On smaller bikes they look very bent, but on mine you can hardly tell.
    I have a pair of Deore Hubbed/T517 rimmed 29" wheels for $100 shipped. PM me if you want them.

mtbr member
    Is he game for making a 29" softtail?

UOTE=MichiganClydesdale]When you say "A little but not as much as a soft tail" are you referring to the compliance....if so, define compliance? I'm curious because I'm talking to Curtlo about a 29er softie.

David[/QUOTE]

N+1

moneys down

Is he game for making a 29" softtail?

UOTE=MichiganClydesdale]When you say "A little but not as much as a soft tail" are you referring to the compliance....if so, define compliance? I'm curious because I'm talking to Curtlo about a 29er softie.

David
    [/QUOTE]

My deposit is down on one, so I'd have to say yes. He won't do it for small frames, because it's hard to fit the shock in, but no problem for my XXL. Pivotless steel suspension longevity concerns...I had them, but Doug stands behind his warranty and doesn't bat an eye at the concern. He's all about great fit too. I had a really hard time not going back for another WALT, and Walt was willing to tinker with a 29 softie too, but Curtlo is talking about 6 weeks, and Walt is talking about 6 months...easy choice.

David
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

N+1

hope so

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Does that mean you can give the 1st ride report in 6 weeks hopefully? Sounds pretty cool!
    I hope that's what it means. I'm optimistic (although Doug at Curtlo is not promising) to have the frame for the Aug 20th Ore to Shore race, but either way I'll definitely have ride reports soon.
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does that mean you can give the 1st ride report in 6 weeks hopefully? Sounds pretty cool!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Reports and lots of pictures PLEASE!