Custom steel or 29er FS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Custom steel or 29er FS?

Ok so I think this is a decision of a lifetime being it may be my last ever bike/frame I'll purchase. Seriously, MY last frame!

I thought about Independent Fabrications as my custom HT or an XC style Turner Sultan. It's comparing apples to oranges but I'd like to know just how great it is to own a custom frame built just for you? I'm supplanting myself as a tech XC rider no more no less.

I've seen many pics on this forum of IF and Turner and I cannot make a decision!

Sloth Hunter
    Hardtail, custom or not. FS can be over kill unless you are riding ridiculously rough terrain...watch, I'll be owning a FS next year.
    I'm even thinking about 1x9, but really I have never had a FS and have nothing to back up the above statement.

aka baycat
    How about a custom full suspension 29er?

http://sycip.com/bikes_fsmtn.html

Addicted to Dirt
    After countless ill fitting bikes (hardatils, 5 inch travel bikes, XC racing FS bikes of the small wheel variety) I've been riding a custom Waltworks 29 hardtail since October. Could not be happier...everytime I throw a leg over this bike I think "this fits like it was made for me"

I say go custom, you won't regret it. Especially if you have semi awkward body measurements like me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnachos
    Ok so I think this is a decision of a lifetime being it may be my last ever bike/frame I'll purchase. Seriously, MY last frame!

I thought about Independent Fabrications as my custom HT or an XC style Turner Sultan. It's comparing apples to oranges but I'd like to know just how great it is to own a custom frame built just for you? I'm supplanting myself as a tech XC rider no more no less.

I've seen many pics on this forum of IF and Turner and I cannot make a decision!
    Honestly, it depends on how you're built. That is, if your proportions are average, then a lot of off the shelf frames will work for you. Granted IF can use tubes that are suited to your weight and pedaling style, but again, if that's average then there may not be too much of an advantage.

Why not, since this is your LAST frame, go the best of both worlds and get a custom Ventana El Rey

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    How about a custom full suspension 29er?

http://sycip.com/bikes_fsmtn.html
    Yup, I was going to say "custom steel 29er fs". To wit:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnachos

*If* it was going to be the last frame I would ever own ... then I would give it a lot of thought and time ... to make very sure that it was "the" frame, the one with which I was going to be completely satisfied with for a long long time.

Seriously, don't rush it..... ponder, think, meditate on it. Ask yourself some very pointed questions. Think about where and how you ride, what you like and don't like.

A long travel FS isn't going to be any good to you if you only ride smooth trails, and a HT isn't going to treat you well if you ride on very rough ones all the time.

Above all, forget all the pre-conceptions and fads, be totally honest with yourself.

Ask yourself ... what do I really want and need to be completely satisfied for a long time?

When *you* have that answer, go buy it.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

!Vamos, flaco!
    Do you honestly think that any FS frame would be your last, as technology chnages over the years?
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Members who have read this thread: 0