Custom Racer-x.....ooooh It's Fast!- Mtbr.com
    Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

Custom Racer-x.....ooooh It's Fast!

Okay all. I've been checking out your forum for a while and lurking in the background with some comments here and there. So I thought I'd post my rig for you to drool over.

I've actually had it for a few weeks, but I was waiting on delivery of my spokes, so I had to be patient before I could ride it.

To reduce the # of q's, I'll tell you everything.

My previous bike was a custom RAcer-x 26'r which put me on a few NCS XC and ST podiums in the 30+ expert class. I only got to ride a few 29'rs and I never really got a good feel for them because they were so small. So I had Chris at Titus draw up a frame for me and while visiting the factory over Christmas I had him tweak it a bit. I had him increase the head tube to 5.25" so I could get 2 cages on the down tube. The ETT is 26". I also got to see Adam welding up the rear end for it. Very cool.

I'm 6'5" and sit around 190 lbs (about 193cm and 90 kg's for you euro's) and wear a size 15 shoe (~50'ish). So I've got some light chi chi stuff and some not so light stuff. Chromoloy axles in the pedals, FSA 2-piece cranks, and 14/15 db spokes, Mavic QR's, drilled out cheap ass thumb shifter for the fork control, and old school long dog half pipe shifters. ChiChi stuff includes all ti bolts on everything I could put them on. Magura Marta SL's, FSA stem and bar, WTB hubs, and stan's rims. It's weighing in at about 27 lbs. I think a lighter post and a ti-cassette will drop me another half pound. My 26" bike was 25 lbs.

My first ride was to school on pave with some trail mixed in. My first impression was that the bike did NOT want to lean. It has to be steered. The fork was set at 80mm and it actually steered quickly. On the loose and rocky single track, it still felt like it did NOT want to lean, but it cornered great and did not wash out. That was Friday.

Saturday I went to our sick race course (Franklin Mountain State Park, El Paso, TX) for an off road duathlon. I hammered a short course in 50 minutes. The bike ripped. Stuff that I haven't been able to ride very easily I just climbed right over. On burly descents took me a while to trust the WTB tires and I heard some banging, but I'm sure I just bottomed out the fork. Afterwards my rims were straight as an arrow (I do build some great wheels).

I took out the spacer on the fork last night to extend the travel to 100mm, so I'm hoping the steering relaxes a bit and I don't bottom out as much.

I also have a custom ti Moto-Lite with DH tires. So I'll have to get back on it and see how it compares. I think I might be selling it soon. We'll see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

Moderator Moderator
    Very Nice! An Exiwolf + 100mm for those non-race days will make that bike rip. Congrats, great build!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Awesome looking bike. At first I thought it was a 26er. That is the beauty of 29" wheels being used on really large frames. It brings things back into proportion aesthetically.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

The tires

Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Very Nice! An Exiwolf + 100mm for those non-race days will make that bike rip. Congrats, great build!
    Yeh. I ran Nano's front and rear for the race yesterday. I got home and Fed-Ex dropped off a box of Exi's. I mounted an Exi last night on the front. It's not much wider and isn't really that much heavier. I may race on it for the races out here and down in Mexico. The trails are really rocky with sandy and soft pea gravel washes, so bigger tires are better.

Those Nano's were sweet though. They rolled right through the washes without a single bog down.

Blog this...!

featherweight clydesdale
    Let's make it a party.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    Let's make it a party.
    It appears that Chris and his workers put out quite a few big boy bikes. Gotta love it!

Blog this...!

Members who have read this thread: 0