Custom HT or FS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Custom HT or FS?

Talk to any custom builder and they will tell you that proper fit is the most important thing for handling and comfort. I've been really strugling, trying to decide what my next bike (and first 29er) will be...

So now I'm wondering if you can voice your opinions on whether you think a custom steel (or ti) HT will provide better OVERALL performance compaired to a FS bike like the Lenz or Asylum. I know the FS will be comfortable on long rides, but I'd like to have a bike that performs best in most conditions.

What do you think?

featherweight clydesdale
    [QUOTE=Wish I Were Riding]Talk to any custom builder and they will tell you that proper fit is the most important thing for handling and comfort. I've been really strugling, trying to decide what my next bike (and first 29er) will be...

So now I'm wondering if you can voice your opinions on whether you think a custom steel (or ti) HT will provide better OVERALL performance compaired to a FS bike like the Lenz or Asylum. I know the FS will be comfortable on long rides, but I'd like to have a bike that performs best in most conditions.

What do you think?[/QUOT

Overall performance, is very personal and likely depends on your typical trail conditions. If your 26" bike is a "dream bike" then get the 29"er that is most similar, suspension wise. Still can't decide, get the hardtail (w/ a Thudbuster), it's cheaper, and you can refine its geometry slightly when you throw down the fs in a year or two. Hopefully by then you will have more than handful of FS choices. If you want a true 4-bar with 4 or 5 inches, you'll have to wait.

Flight Junkie

Soft tail is nice

I have been loving my Moots Mooto X YBB. I have had good FS bikes in the past (26"). The thing I like the most is that the combination of the Ti frame, seatpost (Moots Layback) and the 1 1/8" travel of the YBB, seams to be all the suspension I need. As a plus, the bike is fast. It feels way faster than any suspension bike I have had. It rolls very nicely over rocks here in Arizona. I wanted a SS, so the FS 29ers were out for me. But I think you can't go wrong with a good Ti frame in the 29er format.

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Talk to any custom builder and they will tell you that proper fit is the most important thing for handling and comfort. I've been really strugling, trying to decide what my next bike (and first 29er) will be...

What do you think?