mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.

I recently built up another ground up 29er build this last year and I am excited for this next spring to ride it more. I built it mainly for urban use. It is not a commuter but leisure more than anything....riding with my family to parks and suck along river trails and a little offroad.

I wanted a full 3x9 27 speed and I also wanted a "Shimano-less" system with balloon tires and rigid forks. I love what I ended up with and it's truly unique...I am curious at who else out there built their own bike from the ground up. Here I used a frame I have found to be the most comfortable frame ever invented for me is the Soul Cycle Dillinger. I used all Sram X9 parts axcept for the crank as it is an FSA Vdrive and the Newer x7 shifters(older x9 design). Disk brakes are now Avid BB7's. I am looking to change out the saddle and seat post. The two I initially had were stolen.

Now I am thinking of doing a major change to it. These parts are super nice on it. I am seriously considering taking the forks off and converting this to being my new trail bike by moving over my Rock Shox from the current trail 29er bike. That bike currently has all Shimano LX on it. Would this be recommended if you had the option? Change my mind!!

Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-ultralight1.jpg
    Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-ultralight3.jpg

Never trust a fart
    Why don't you just put some knobbies on it and see how it does on the trail as is? Then you can decide whether or not to swap the fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not a bad idea....My son suggested swapping the LX stuff from the trail bike and putting them on this one and using the X9 for the trail and keep this one for the "leisure" rides. decisions decisions...one thing for certain I will be selling the old Gary Fisher Utopia. This Sould Cycle kicks its ass.

Professional Crastinator
    Ok, I'm playing.
    Mine falls squarely in the "durable build" category. I have messed around with light parts in the past and it never worked out in my favor.

I really need to get a more recent pic, though. This is the "old" form:
    Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-n9rv.jpg

Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-100_0068.jpg

2013 Canfield Nimble 9 (4130 Cro-Mo)
    VooDoo Zombie 500 Cro-Mo steel fork (front skewer is still a Control Tech Ti)
    American Classic Hubs still going strong since 2007 (rear is 142)
    Velocity Blunt Rims (see skulls below on the front - long story, but jives with the Canfield logo), alloy nips
    Hope Tech M4 brakes and Hope floating rotors, 180/160 (just because)
    Generic Cockpit

The "new(er)" form includes 2.5" Minion DHF up front
    Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-minion.jpg
    Closest it's been photographed
    Name:  FB_IMG_1527036806141-1.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  77.6 KB Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-fb_img_1539482109894%5B1%5D.jpg

2.4 Ardent out back
    Gorilla Tape tubeless
    22-36-bash x 11-36 Sunrace/Shimano 9-speed (I can't bring myself to throw out useable parts - I'm terrible that way)
    Internal rust proofing
    External mud

Almost scored a 2017 replacement off Pinkbike, but a little too slow to click. It was even chrome!

Shockingly, only one person has ever asked to borrow it.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon View Post
    I recently built up another ground up 29er build this last year and I am excited for this next spring to ride it more. I built it mainly for urban use. It is not a commuter but leisure more than anything....riding with my family to parks and suck along river trails and a little offroad.

I wanted a full 3x9 27 speed and I also wanted a "Shimano-less" system with balloon tires and rigid forks. I love what I ended up with and it's truly unique...I am curious at who else out there built their own bike from the ground up. Here I used a frame I have found to be the most comfortable frame ever invented for me is the Soul Cycle Dillinger. I used all Sram X9 parts axcept for the crank as it is an FSA Vdrive and the Newer x7 shifters(older x9 design). Disk brakes are now Avid BB7's. I am looking to change out the saddle and seat post. The two I initially had were stolen.

Now I am thinking of doing a major change to it. These parts are super nice on it. I am seriously considering taking the forks off and converting this to being my new trail bike by moving over my Rock Shox from the current trail 29er bike. That bike currently has all Shimano LX on it. Would this be recommended if you had the option? Change my mind!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultralight1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	308.8 KB 
ID:	1223243
    I am looking at that steerer... that seems almost dangerously long. I think for strength/reliability, a shorter steerer with a taller stem would serve better. Nice looking bike, though.

Oh, and of course, I would always suggest to try the rigid fork first for awhile.

-F

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thank you....not sure how dangerous it is considering it's a steel neck and not aluminum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    man that's a great looking bike....bet it rides good to

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Is Soul Cycle still in business? I couldn't find a site.

Nice bike.Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-canny-medium.jpg

mtbr member

Here is mine.

NX Eagle, Project 321 wheelset, and updated color scheme. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-rdo2.jpgCurious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-img_5211.jpg

I throw poo
    I want to play too! Specialized Chisel "Evo" build:
    GX Eagle derailleur and grip shift,
    X1 170 cranks,
    Blackspire Snaggletooth oval 32 chainring,
    GX front shifter as the remote for the KS Lev Integra dropper 120mm,
    Arch MKIII rims,
    Level TL brakes,
    Sid 120 fork,
    780 carbon bar
    Maxxis 2.35 Ardent Race rear, Forecaster front

This thing is at absolute rocket up and down the hills.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My custom Kona Big Unit ss build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-42125559_10212543641647938_5753084765729193984_n.jpg  

Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-41991980_10212543641687939_5888045913913425920_n.jpg  

Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-41876601_10212543641607937_6045174831421325312_n.jpg  

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by warpdatframe View Post
    My custom Kona Big Unit ss build.
    more time and money invested in bike than lawn mowing, l like that
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

2017 Devinci Django

140mm Pike
    XT shifter and RD, 1x11
    Hope Tech X2 brakes, 203 front, 183 rear
    Deity Skyline 787 bar
    Arch and Arch Mk3 rims on Hope 32 hole hubs.
    Ks Lev Integra dropper
    Hope crankset, BB, stem, oval chainring, pedals
    Odi Rogue grips.
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Racing Ralph tires
    WTB Rocket Pro saddle

Most of the parts came from my last bike. Needed a new boost rear wheel, chainring, and seatpost. Will soon be adding a Fox 34 boost fork, Arch Mk3 rim on Hope boost front hub, Hans Dampf tire, putting the Pike and old wheelset back on the Rip 9 which I will be building up again.

Curious to see the custom builds of 29ers out there.-swamp-django.jpg

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by scycllerist View Post
    Is Soul Cycle still in business? I couldn't find a site.

Nice bike.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canny medium.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	1223410
    I was this >< close to doing red ano. Velocity Blunts, but my timing was bad vs. rim supplies. The EPO looks great!

-F