Cross Tires- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cross Tires

luckiest of the unlucky

Cross Tires

Where I live, you can count the number of local MTB races per year on your hands (maybe even one hand!), yet there are cyclocross races a'plenty. Although the idea of carrying my bike over crap during a race doesn't thrill me, I'm giving some serious consideration to slapping some skinnies on my Paragon and giving the cross thing a whirl. Question is, which one's to buy? Suggestions?

Steamroller

IRC Mythos CX

Quote Originally Posted by JoelM
    Where I live, you can count the number of local MTB races per year on your hands (maybe even one hand!), yet there are cyclocross races a'plenty. Although the idea of carrying my bike over crap during a race doesn't thrill me, I'm giving some serious consideration to slapping some skinnies on my Paragon and giving the cross thing a whirl. Question is, which one's to buy? Suggestions?
    I tried IRC Mythos CX in a couple sizes on a couple bikes. I've tried the 35s on a cross bike and liked them and even ran 42s on a 29r a few times. I never raced on them but I liked them quite a bit, on the 29r they felt way light and fast. A bit sketchy when railing corners on hardpack the first few time but they gripped fine.
    I'm in mostly dry so-cal with hard pack and some sand and rock, we hardly know what roots are and those of us with any etiquette hang up our bikes when the trails are wet.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go

I have only tried two so far, but there are many obviously.

Ritchey speedmax tires seem to roll very well. Michelin Mud II tires are lighter and seem to be better in conditions that are less smooth. I like how the Mud II's climbed in some loose stuff. I use the Speedmax tires on my mountain bike when I ride both road and light offroad stuff, mainly because they do better on the road, and I don't want to wear out the Mud II's which are great for races. The cyclocross bike currently has slicks on it, but the Mud II's typically go on that bike.

I plan on going with a pair of Tufo tubular clinchers next race season. They are quite spendy but some of the guys I have met that ride them, swear by them....at east until they get a slice in them....and $75 is gone just like that. Still I want to try them.

To answer your question....Mud II's are my overall favorite for a race tire so far between the two.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

No Justice = No Peace

Michelin / Ritchey

I tried the Ritchey Spedmax and they were only okay. NOt super confident on the dry hardpack of Nor Cal, although they did dig in pretty well on the softer stuff. They felt pretty slow and heavy compared to the Michelin set-up I currently run, which is a MUD II on the front and a JET on the back. I would venture to say that the JET would make a great front tire for hard packed trail and fire roads, and your bike would definitely feel fast.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

No Justice = No Peace

Michelin / Ritchey

I tried the Ritchey Spedmax and they were only okay. NOt super confident on the dry hardpack of Nor Cal, although they did dig in pretty well on the softer stuff. They felt pretty slow and heavy compared to the Michelin set-up I currently run, which is a MUD II on the front and a JET on the back. I would venture to say that the JET would make a great front tire for hard packed trail and fire roads, and your bike would definitely feel fast.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

Professional Hobbyist

Michelin and Conti

I've ridden lots of new england singletrack on my cross bike shod with the Michelin Mud in the front and Jet in the rear. They are great tires and much larger than most other cross tires of the same stated size. I was also quite happy on the Continental Twister Pro. They are much smaller volume but roll better on pavement and really hook up well in the dirt. I tried the Ritchey Speedmax and thought that they rolled well and had good volume but they didn't hook up well in the sandy soil I've been riding and I was so unhappy with them, I gave them away. I loved shocking the local mountain bikers with my dirt cornering speed on the cross bike when running the michelin and conti tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious

highly visible
    I'll strongly second the Conti Twister for slippery courses. Despite the low tread they hook up in everything, and they roll very fast. Only downside is the weight -- 450ish grams for the folding Pro version. I have the Comp version, which is closer to 500g, but it sure works great.

For less-slick conditions I like the Ritchey SpeedMax. It rolls superfast and weighs a whole lot less (310-350g or less for the folding Pro versions, depending on width) than the Twister. Doesn't hook up well in mud though, so horses for courses as usual.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

luckiest of the unlucky
    How bout a Bonty Jones ACX front and a Michelin Transworld Sprint rear? Best I could come up with on short notice. LBS's carry next to no cross tires!!! I'm actually hoping for a ton of rain. I could use it.
    Btw, that skinny ass Michelin in the rear makes my Paragon look really gimpy!!!

EDIT: It looks like my dog is giving Glowboy's the stinkeye. Made me smile
    Last edited by JoelM; 02-24-2006 at 10:57 PM.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I have a pair of Panaracer Fire Cross 700x45c tires on my Surly 1x1. I think they're absolute mega.

highly visible
    EDIT: It looks like my dog is giving Glowboy's the stinkeye. Made me smile
    LOL. Me too. Hey, what size Transworld Sprint are you running? They do make it in a 700x40 (which I have), and it's easily as big as the 700x42 IRC.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

luckiest of the unlucky
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    LOL. Me too. Hey, what size Transworld Sprint are you running? They do make it in a 700x40 (which I have), and it's easily as big as the 700x42 IRC.
    The 700x40 is what I ran in the back. Seemed to work pretty well, did some steep climbs with little or no slipping. Really good for a tire they advertised as "recreational."
    That race was a lot of fun! I think my plans for a road bike may have to be nixed.

Members who have read this thread: 0