cross levers for monstercross/drop bar 29er?- Mtbr.com
    viva la v-brakes!

cross levers for monstercross/drop bar 29er?

I'm looking to build up a monstercross bike here shortly and trying to figure out how I will set up the bars and brakes and such. I am imagining more of a CX set up with the primary position being on the hoods rather than an off-road in-the-drops bar set up. I feel, from experience on my touring bike, that riding on the far outside of the tops of the bars in downhills is a good position to keep my body weight up and back, utilizing cross levers for braking. However, I notice from searching around MTBR that few people running drop bars on off-road bikes have cross levers on their bikes.

So I'm interested in comments from people who have tried it both or either way about why you do or do not run cross levers in addition to the standard "hood" brake levers. In my case this is going to be racing bike for CX and "easier" endurance race courses.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    You don't want to be on the hoods, not as a primary position. The drops is where you want to be. In fact, most off-road bars don't feel that comfortable at top and hoods, but offer great comfort and purchase at the drops.

There are other reasons to be in the drops. Check out Shiggy's website for a conclusive discussion on the matter.

viva la v-brakes!
    From what I understand there are two schools of though on this. In my case I want to replicate the set up on my touring bike where I have Salsa Bell Lap bars and a position just a little higher than my road bike. It gives me a decent upright position on the tops, a moderately aggressive, XC race like position on the hoods and a low aero position in the drops, plus great leverage for climbing at the back of the drops. I just hope this will pan out on the new bike.

I guess I am looking for people who are set up with lower bars, ala cyclocross or touring, not alt-bar MTB.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a Pake C'Mute that I ride every terrain possible, even some pretty intense rock descends. I've done creek crossings, ridden mountian trails and done century road rides on it (on knobbies, of course). I would never, ever, EVER(!) attempt to ride off-road on the hoods unless I'm climbing or sprinting, or the terrain is flat and easy. I also wouldn't waste time with pu**y levers (sorry, I had to! ). Riding a bike set up cx style takes some time getting used to, but once you do you will understand where everybody is coming from and you'd be suprised how much control you have in the drops.

It will be important to take time to set up your bike with a good stem and riser stack so that you aren't so far in the drops you can't manage the terrain. Off road you're not going for aero, necessarily, so personally I like a wide road bar with a shallow drop and short reach. I ride the Easton EA70 46 wide/130 drop/75 reach. On my 29er, I ride the Midge bar which i am 100% in the drops at all times.

I'm racing my ss this cx season and I said "shine all that noise" and installed some carbon risers a la BMX cranking stylee

Members who have read this thread: 0