Creaky Superfly 100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Creaky Superfly 100

Folks,

I'm a happy owner of a Superfly 100, with the exception of one annoying item...

When pedaling under heavy load (standing or pushing exceptionally hard up steep climbs), I get a consistent creak from what seems like the chainstay or rear frame linkage/pivot points. This happens with rear shock switch in both positions, but worse when it's switched right (ProPedal on).

When I hold both front and rear brakes with the bike stationary, I can only get the creak to occur while pushing downward on the left pedal (not right).

I've double checked the torque on all the pivot points, and am scratching my head trying to figure out how to stop the creak.

Anyone else experience this on newer GF FS frames?!

Thanks in advance.

Tetonrolla.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just rode my SF-100 for the first time the other day and had the same issue when standing.I took the linkage apart and regreased everything and that seamed to elimintae it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have seen this on a Hifi and a SF100...both times, pulled the shock bolts, grease...FIX. They must come a little dry from the factory.

mtbr member
    Tighten the rear quick release. Tight. Real tight. Happened to me also and about drove me crazy. A friend figured it out.
    Go Hokies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robconklin
    Tighten the rear quick release. Tight. Real tight. Happened to me also and about drove me crazy. A friend figured it out.
    Yep same with mine ?
    Changed tyres and got a creak had to tighten the qr REALLY tight to stop it ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Interesting. A buddy of mine bought one just yesterday and it was making a lot of noise on its first ride last night.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    my wife had a top fuel 9.8 with the same rear suspension and it was terribly prone to creaking at the rear skewer setup. It has to be clean and very tight to keep it from creaking.

I would take apart the rear axle pivot about once a week, clean it, and re-grease it to keep everything quiet.

wrench
    Nature of duallies everywhere. I have to clean and lube ours every so often as well. Drop of blue loctite on the threads to keep it together. Finally did my personal bike yesterday and todays ride was creak free!

As the others have said, make sure that rear skewer is tight. Definatly will creak if not. I have seen cable housing from main frame to chainstay cause a creak too. Drop of lube on the ferrals is good.

Have fun with that machine!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    check carefully for cracks. my co-worker had some develop. GF (Trek) was good about switching it out quickly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mountain Bike Action reviewed the bike several issues ago and I believe they mentioned issues with the hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    pretty well known that the fly100's are now breaking in the rear.....can they make anything
    that doesn't break? new trek madones are breaking steerers too so looks like nothing
    will change even though the flys are treks now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    1. Disassemble the whole pivot and swing-link system, and clean and grease it. MBA had a good article on how to do this, but it's very intuitive. Hard to goof up if you pay a bit of attention when you take it apart.

2. The rear quick release really does need to be super-tight, as mentioned above. This may not meet with Trek's official approval, but I tighten mine so I can barely close it, then rotate it another half turn, as if it were a DT Swiss RWS.

These two things have resulted in a silent bike for me. I ride a lot, and I only seem to need to do the take everything apart, clean, and regrease every two months.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    This is a know issue. There is a rebuild kit for the free hub body that has cured this in every bike I have seen. Since Bontrager went away from the DT Swiss hub internals they have had issues. Your dealer should know about this rebuild kit and be able to get it for you. Start here, it fixes every bike I have seen with this problem. If it does not work then the other suggestions are good ones.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
    This is a know issue. There is a rebuild kit for the free hub body that has cured this in every bike I have seen. Since Bontrager went away from the DT Swiss hub internals they have had issues. Your dealer should know about this rebuild kit and be able to get it for you. Start here, it fixes every bike I have seen with this problem. If it does not work then the other suggestions are good ones.
    It just goes to show you that bikes can creak for a LOT of reasons. I run custom wheels with King hubs, so the creaking had nothing to do with the stock wheels (though Lord knows, they have their issues).

When I disconnected the ABP pivots, and wiggled the "seatstays", it sounded like a creaking cacophony up in the swing link. Cleaning and greasing took care of it.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Bonking ... not feelin' well New Superfly 100 Creaks Badly!

Picked up my 2010 SF100 today and within the first mile broke the chain. Replaced chain and then at mile three of single track the creak started and become progressively worse. Shop now has my bike for five days and will regrease the pivots and bearings on the shock and swing arm. Really wish I had read this before I rode. I am very disillusioned with the bike right now, but it sounds like a good fix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Therustybearings
    Picked up my 2010 SF100 today and within the first mile broke the chain. Replaced chain and then at mile three of single track the creak started and become progressively worse. Shop now has my bike for five days and will regrease the pivots and bearings on the shock and swing arm. Really wish I had read this before I rode. I am very disillusioned with the bike right now, but it sounds like a good fix.
    Every bike I have owned exhibits a creak here and there. I just tore down my HiFi and cleaned and greased everything. Biggest suspect that causes creaks for me are the seat posts where they go in the frame. Would love to grease the hell out of it but then they slip on me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Superfly 100 creaks are gone and all is good.

The local bike store came through and found out from Trek that the pivot point bearings all needed to be set with loctite. They did the job and the bike rides flawlessly. Now I do love this bike. No noise, light weight, slashes single track, and eats the bumps fast. Now that's what I am talking about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_K
    Yep same with mine ?
    Changed tyres and got a creak had to tighten the qr REALLY tight to stop it ?

Seriously, this fix solved a problem that ate me up on my Superfly hardtail - and the LBS struggled with it on 3 different returns.

Get a gorilla to help you tighten it up.

Members who have read this thread: 0