creak creak creak- Mtbr.com
    Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

creak creak creak

My Rig has a creaky BB. It creaks when I stand up & pedal, so it's not the seat post or seat rails or collar.
    So far I've greased the BB threads on both sides, the EBB (between frame and EBB), the lock wedge and bolt, and the ISIS splines on both sides. I even greased the interface between the left side BB support and the body of the BB. The MF still creaks.
    Any other ideas? Would teflon tape work better on the threads? Make it STOP!!!

Complete Bastard
    Did you take your chainring bolts out and grease those? How about your derailleur hangar. I know it seems odd but I've had loose derailleur hangars creak like mad to the point I thought the frame was cracked.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    To make sure it's not the seatpost try riding it withoug the seatpost on at all. Supposedly the frame can flex and still make it creak even if you're not sitting on it. So I've been told.

It's probably your chainring bolds though.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    My Rig has a creaky BB. It creaks when I stand up & pedal, so it's not the seat post or seat rails or collar.
    So far I've greased the BB threads on both sides, the EBB (between frame and EBB), the lock wedge and bolt, and the ISIS splines on both sides. I even greased the interface between the left side BB support and the body of the BB. The MF still creaks.
    Agreed with the chain ring bolts. I had some creaking going on and it turned out to be about everything combined causing various creaks. a few of the chain ring bolts were not long enough and one was actually broken about halfway across the female and probably would've completely fallen off soon.

May 2004

I'll try that

except for that part about a derailer hanger...ain't got no derailer nor hanger.
    could be the spider/chainring bolts or that joint. good idea.

mtbr member
    Mine creaks too. I greased the EBB, will check the chain ring bolts, etc. I figured it was probably the BB. On my old bike I blowed up the ISIS BB and it creaked like a mofo, so I thought that is probably it on the Rig.

My gloves stink

Fishers are creaky creatures

I've owned two Fishers. They both tend to creak. Sure, you can get rid of it for a while by greasing this, teflon-taping that, and torquing something else. It'll fix it for a while, but eventually, the creak sneaks back.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

May 2004

creaky fishers

Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    I've owned two Fishers. They both tend to creak. Sure, you can get rid of it for a while by greasing this, teflon-taping that, and torquing something else. It'll fix it for a while, but eventually, the creak sneaks back.
    yeah, my old sugar had a seatpost creak that turned into a seat tube crack...and a new sugar Race frame

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I second the idea about taking the seatpost out and riding it...same thing happened to my Redline CX bike and cleaning the gritty junk from the seat tube and the seat post and regreasing solved the problem. It threw me off b/c it creaked even while standing so I figured it wasn't the post...so yes, the frame was flexing when standing causing the seatpost to creak down in the seat tube.

Harmonius Wrench
    I'd check out those chain ring bolts. Lots 'o torque on those things so any looseness will make a noise. More common than you think.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    When you had the bb apart did you thouroughly clean/degrease it it? It doesnt take much grit to make it creak (just greasing it wont do much).
    Also what condition are your pedals in? Grit can get in those threads and even bearings or worse they came loose at some point and began backing out (just went through this on a bike today, hello new crank arm)

From my evperience evry creak is caused by dirt getting somewhere it shouldnt have, or a cracked frame or something but thats more than a creak its more of a croak

Anyways good luck...

Occasionally engagedů

Wish this thread was several days old...

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I'd check out those chain ring bolts. Lots 'o torque on those things so any looseness will make a noise. More common than you think.
    Just a couple of days ago, I spent the better part of three hours working over my EBB and BB and didn't get rid of the creak. About 30 seconds and 4 turns on each of two chain ring bolts and I was creak free...

just along for the ride
    Its doesn't creak unless you have good hearing, time for some live music if you ask me

Jun 2005
    i had the same problem with my rig. lbs swapped the truvativ 68/73 bb with an fsa 68mm specific bb. problem was resolved, so i thought. they put in a ti bb, it only lasted three rides before it snapped. this last time they put in a dh bb. bottom line is the universal bb 68/73 mm rocks inside the ebb.

Reviewer/Tester
    Chain ring bolts...yep.. I tightened mine and the creaks disappeared.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

May 2004

creak search

I'll have to try that FSA 68mm BB, because nothing else has worked.
    Latest try was the drive side spider/crank spline. If anyone wants to try it: remove right crank (use the right puller or the wrong puller with pennies/dimes), remove wire "snap" ring on inside face of spider with screwdriver, remove lock ring, I had to use a hammer & punch to get it loose, then a hook spanner to remove. It's somewhat recessed, so the spanner won't engage it at first. Now the spider can be removed from the crank. I gooped my spline up with permatex gasket maker, (last longer than grease), then re-assembled and cleaned off the excess. After all that, mine still creaks. I re-tightened and re-re-tightened everything. creak creak creak. Hmmm.

Loud music, yeah, that might be the answer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    One more thing to check. It drove me nuts till I found it. After going through the WHOLE bike trying to stop a creak I found one of the water bottle bolts slightly loose.

May 2004

Aaaaand...Broot wins it!!

After greasing everything within a 1 foot radius of the bottom bracket, I called my LBS (Ultimate Bicycle in Charlotte) and talked to Saul, their chief mechanic I think. He said he had fixed one creaky Rig by replacing the Truvativ BB with an FSA unit. He would do the same for me under warranty. I'm there! Turned out he didn't have the right FSA BB, so he used a RaceFace. No Creaking! Silence!! It's wonderful! Broot suggested this fix earlier in this post, so he gets at least partial credit.

Still don't know exactly what it was about the Truvativ unit that caused the problem. It creaked on both left and right pedal strokes, but if I leveled the cranks and bounced on both pedals evenly...silence. Then turn cranks 180 and repeat...silence. makes me think it's not the splines, but the BB body moving around in the EBB.

So take your creaky Rigs back to the GF dealer for a BB swap under warranty. Get a RaceFace or FSA BB. Hope this works for everybody. I know it's been driving me nuts.

edit: looks like 2morrow mentioned the same fix in a similar post. Partial credit as well.
    Last edited by bikecop; 09-14-2005 at 02:47 PM. Reason: ad on

mtbr member

Good job! Congratulations!

After greasing everything within a 1 foot radius of the bottom bracket, I called my LBS (Ultimate Bicycle in Charlotte) and talked to Saul, their chief mechanic I think. He said he had fixed one creaky Rig by replacing the Truvativ BB with an FSA unit. He would do the same for me under warranty. I'm there! Turned out he didn't have the right FSA BB, so he used a RaceFace. No Creaking! Silence!! It's wonderful! Broot suggested this fix earlier in this post, so he gets at least partial credit.

Still don't know exactly what it was about the Truvativ unit that caused the problem. It creaked on both left and right pedal strokes, but if I leveled the cranks and bounced on both pedals evenly...silence. Then turn cranks 180 and repeat...silence. makes me think it's not the splines, but the BB body moving around in the EBB.

So take your creaky Rigs back to the GF dealer for a BB swap under warranty. Get a RaceFace or FSA BB. Hope this works for everybody. I know it's been driving me nuts.

edit: looks like 2morrow mentioned the same fix in a similar post. Partial credit as well.
    I was perplexed with this whole creaking issue. My Rig has been silent since day one. Before my first ride a swapped out the cranks for 180mm XT's. I knew the problem was the stock cranks or BB.

Enjoy the silence.....

17.5" pistons of love
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    I was perplexed with this whole creaking issue. My Rig has been silent since day one. Before my first ride a swapped out the cranks for 180mm XT's. I knew the problem was the stock cranks or BB.

Enjoy the silence.....
    Truvativ bb = POOH!!!!!!!!!!
    The Domesticated SSer