Crank set for 10speed Ti hard tail build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Crank set for 10speed Ti hard tail build

I was going to post this on the drivetrain forum, but low traffic there and more geniuses ride 29ers :-p!

Frame is Triton by Dimitry, components on my build shelf include:

X7 10speed shifters
    Marzzochi Ti 120mm thru axle
    Giant PC-X wheel set off Anthem 29
    SRAM 1070 cassette
    Thomson stem and post
    Avid BB7 brakes

No RD, FD, headset or chain yet.

I'm 185-190lbs geared up riding weight. No racing, mostly XC type single track, wood ramps and berms with no big jumps/drops. Florida trails so no big climbs or descents. Will probably upgrade wheels and shifters if I like this bike.

The sticky on the drivetrain forum indicates 9speed crank/chain ring will work with 10speed chain and derailleurs but every online source (blue sky, price point etc) says no.

On my list so far:
    Shimano 9speed SLX 32 2Xwith bash guard
    X9 3X10 and take off big ring and add bash
    X9 2X10 seems like no bash option with this
    XT 3X10 and take off big ring and add bash

The first one, SLX is less than $120 online and 32/granny/bash will satisfy gearing needs.
    39 and granny works on my Anthem but I like having a bash and seems like nobody makes a bash for SRAM 2X10.

Money is an object as this will be my first hard tail in over 15 years and not sure it will be my full time ride as I have a couple of bikes that I like.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Somebody has to have an opinion?

Shiggy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you want to keep your shifters, you are kind of stuck with Sram. Spend what you can, its all good...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    9 spd ring will work with 10spd chain

Yogii right. If you are keeping the x-7 shifters, sram RD is the only option. You could go with shimano FD though. Also you will have to try and decide what crankset will fit your taril use.
    Ebay is probably you best bet for the items you will need

mtbr member
    BacDoc,
    Let's see your frame!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    9 speed cranks should work fine with 10spd with the possible exception of getting the front derailleur properly tweaked. That only applies when using a 9spd derailleur with a 3x setup. You should be fine with a 2x.

I personally prefer the Shimano shaft/arm attachment design over SRAM. I'd go with:
    SLX crankset. The 3x version comes with a 32t, the 2x w/bash comes with a 36t.
    SLX 2x front derailleur (SLX M665/7) Should be fine with X7 front shifter.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.

Bunyan:

Dimitry sent me a schematic after some communication about my needs but just got married and is honeymooning in France, so its"moonlight and candles and ****" until he gets back to Russia so he can finish my frame! I will post some pics when it gets here.

Car nut:
    After checking a million online sources and eBay, I'm leaning towards the SLX and everyone except the online retailers says it will work with the 10speed chain. Blue Sky has it for $120 with bash and bottom bracket. It's a 22/36 and I think that is perfect gearing for my needs.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Bunyan:

Dimitry sent me a schematic after some communication about my needs but just got married and is honeymooning in France, so its"moonlight and candles and ****" until he gets back to Russia so he can finish my frame! I will post some pics when it gets here.

Car nut:
    After checking a million online sources and eBay, I'm leaning towards the SLX and everyone except the online retailers says it will work with the 10speed chain. Blue Sky has it for $120 with bash and bottom bracket. It's a 22/36 and I think that is perfect gearing for my needs.
    Go with the SLX for sure - it's stiff and light and cheap. It will work with a 10spd rear set up. I would suggest going with the 3 ring version and then swapping the big ring for the bash guard unless you know the 36 is what you want. The 2 ring version with bash guard has a pretty clunky/cheap bash (plastic) and I found the jump from the 22 to 36 to be too big. You lose a fair amount of mid-range finesse with the 36. Also, if you want the better composite 32 tooth middle ring, you need to buy the 3 ring version. The composite middle ring won't fit properly on the 2 ring set, so you are left with only the heavier 32t LX ring if you want to swap (the milling on the end of the crank arms is different for some reason and the composite 32t ring won't sit flush).
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells