The coolest bike ever? Bike lust.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 54 of 54
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,557

    The coolest bike ever? Bike lust.

    My buddy ordered one. Long wait but how cool is it going to be when he gets it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The coolest bike ever? Bike lust.-wooden-bike.jpg  

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

  2. #2
    agu
    agu is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,099
    which bike you talking about? The wooden one or the blue one below it? hehe

    would be interesting to know how it rides (either bike, that is!)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    132
    I have heard their roadies are to die for. Will be interesting to see how it holds up to repeated exposure to gnar. As a Clyde I would be terrified of a cracking sound from the rear triangle!
    "The good news is you're still conscious, the bad is that you're too heavy for me to carry. You gotta ride it out bro."

  4. #4
    Space Ghost
    Reputation: Coach417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    944
    Do you have to "tent" it for termites? Just sayin'.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    170
    That is probably the best looking bike I've seen in the last couple months.

  6. #6
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    Certainly gorgeous. Count me in for interested in a longevity report.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    84
    That's Awesome!
    2012 Specialized Epic Comp 29er (For Sale)
    2013 Specialized SJ Comp Carbon

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ssphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    218
    Great. Being seen with this thing, people will say "look, he is riding a woody" .. Imagine early morning rides...

  9. #9
    pedal me happy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    202
    I wood like to have one too.

  10. #10
    puts the FU in fun
    Reputation: CuzinMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    134
    Great for "lumbering" along....

    Seriously, it is sweet looking.
    Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

  11. #11
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    2.1" tire clearance is a little miserly though. They might have to work some magic in the behind the bb area if they want to gain more of an mtb following.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: highrustler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    458
    No need to worry about rust.

  13. #13
    Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Reputation: KYjelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    325
    Thats gorgeous!
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

  14. #14
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,623
    It looks awesome and seems to have some engineering to back it up, but how long before we hafta start reading stuff like this:

    Anybody cracked a Renovo?

    And can I run it with a 140mm fork?

    And what's the biggest rotor that will fit on it?

    And can I get 150mm spacing with a 12mm solid axle?

    And are they flexy?

    Anybody ride the bamboo bike and the Renovo back-to-back?

    Can I get it in 650B?

    If I sand my chainstays to fit a larger tire does that void the warranty?


    I think they need to offer a fat bike.
    Please report back when it gets rolling.

    Thanks,
    -F

    PS - How cool would it be to have logos and co. name BURNED in instead of decals?

  15. #15
    bike rider
    Reputation: mattkock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,152

    It's Official...................................

    Now I'm Jealous!!!! WOW!
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

  16. #16
    Start slow and taper off
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    790
    Definitely the coolest bike in this thread, without a doubt
    My Artwork

    Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

  17. #17
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,717
    I have to say that that bike...well, it gives me wood.

    there i said it. Sorry.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BIGfatED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    922
    Pretty sure I could break that bike in less than 12 months. Looks sweet, but from a functional stand point it won't last. Great collectors bike.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    It looks awesome and seems to have some engineering to back it up, but how long before we hafta start reading stuff like this:


    If I sand my chainstays to fit a larger tire does that void the warranty?
    this one is pretty awesome

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Pretty sure I could break that bike in less than 12 months. Looks sweet, but from a functional stand point it won't last. Great collectors bike.
    I was wondering how soon someone like you would show up.

    OMG SOMETHING NEW
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    FUD FUD FUD

    Too bad they never anticipated that stuff at all.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,073
    That is absolutely beautiful, I love to work with wood and love unpainted wood that shows the beauty of the grain, if I had the $$$ I would get one. Yes, it's new and interesting, but also untested to us the MTB public, so fo course people will be skeptical.

    As someone who has worked with wooden boats, built using the West System epoxy products I know how strong it is, but I also know that it can also have some serious issues if not prepared and applied properly. I will for sure be looking to see how these stands up to every day MTB abuse and use and the widely varying conditions MTBs are put through. I think wood would have better dampening than most other materials and should as their reading material states not be as effected by blunt force impact like alu - it's why pros still prefer wooden basball bats.

    Colour me subscribed.

    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    I was wondering how soon someone like you would show up.

    OMG SOMETHING NEW
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    FUD FUD FUD

    Too bad they never anticipated that stuff at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  22. #22
    Space Ghost
    Reputation: Coach417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    944
    If you are worried about tire clearance, you could always just sand down the inside of the chainstays! One of my riding buddies had told me he was lusting after this bike. I hadn't seen one til now. He is currently on a carbon HT. I think he just likes the latest greatest material, but will see. He said he read that during a crash they epoxied the frame back, then stress tested it and it broke in a different place. Me, I am very skeptical, but look forward to see how it works for the guinea pigs. Darius, if you read this, we are looking to you to blaze the trail!
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

  23. #23
    jmw
    jmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by highrustler
    No need to worry about rust.
    and it Floats too!!
    future nature

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BIGfatED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    I was wondering how soon someone like you would show up.

    OMG SOMETHING NEW
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    FUD FUD FUD
    [/URL]
    Next time use english, so the rest of us can understand you justification and or bashing of an MTBR member who is just keeping it real.

    You can live on cloud 9 and lust after "something new" all you want. I tend to break bikes and bike parts. I don't enjoy breaking stuff, but that's my reality.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    310
    F*cking gorgeous!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: modifier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,816
    From looking at the site they seem pretty open to ideas so perhaps if you needed more rear clearance they could do something like this on the Badash. Or a soft tail. Or maybe even rear suspension.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The coolest bike ever? Bike lust.-renvo-carbon.jpg  

    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gjenkins@'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,600
    Sure, the knee jerk response is going to be be distrust. Reading their info about the technology and manufacturing process is compelling. Plus, they are just plain beautiful. If I had the money, I would try one of these.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SlowPokePete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,586
    What's it weigh ?

    SPP
    Rigid.

  29. #29
    Village Dirtbag
    Reputation: @dam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,283
    Quote Originally Posted by ssphoenix
    Great. Being seen with this thing, people will say "look, he is riding a woody" .. Imagine early morning rides...
    Lol...since it's wood, he should paint a majestic name on it like an old wooden sail boat.

    The Morning Wood

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,557
    My friend rode one at a bike show. Loved it and he said it rode very quietly.
    More eye candy at their web site: http://www.renovobikes.com/
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

  31. #31
    Single Speed Junkie
    Reputation: crux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,111
    Found the perfect top cap for the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The coolest bike ever? Bike lust.-2010-12-07-16-55-40.jpg  


  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tigerwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    440
    it's why pros still prefer wooden basball bats.
    Come on LyNx pros would use aluminum bats in a heartbeat if they could.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tigerwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    440
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3dFHOunXyqM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1 =0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3dFHOunXyqM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1 =0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

  34. #34
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,283
    good on them. I'm glad someone is trying it. Not for me - I am too lazy to maintain timber. This coming from me, who works with wood for a profession. Timber has some great properties, and some drawbacks, but it's all about fun, isn't it?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    581
    Well I think I've found my new winter desktop pic..It'll tease me enough to be fool enough to contemplate buying one (fool in the sense that I dont need another bike). Dont knock wood (pun?) after all we make our houses out of the cheap kind. The right wood really does have properties to give it the strength of metal. But looking at it my unskilled concern is how the dropouts are connected to the seat and chainstays..are they up for the task and longevity of a lifetime (relative) of use?

    head and seat angles look kinda slack..AM HT?

  36. #36
    SyT
    SyT is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    611
    Wood is Good.

  37. #37
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,423
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT
    Wood is Good.
    That's what she said
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kvojr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    2.1" tire clearance is a little miserly though. They might have to work some magic in the behind the bb area if they want to gain more of an mtb following.
    I would guess the compliance from wood instead of metal would eliminate the need for wider tires??
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Next time use english, so the rest of us can understand you justification and or bashing of an MTBR member who is just keeping it real.

    You can live on cloud 9 and lust after "something new" all you want. I tend to break bikes and bike parts. I don't enjoy breaking stuff, but that's my reality.
    OK, I'll break it down to baby food for you.

    WOOP WOOP WOOP = red alert

    FUD FUD FUD = fear, uncertainty, doubt. As in, "this is new and strange to me. Without doing any further research or attempting any understanding, I think I'll infer it's the worst possible and stupid, and pass judgment."

    Wood is used structurally in boats, airplanes, and baseball bats. With the right laminates, it's incredibly strong and light. I knew that going in, and was incredibly skeptical.

    Like you, I'm pushing 300 and break stuff. But, unlike you, I actually think before opening my mouth, so I investigated the site, read through all their info, and did a bit of digging of my own. I did that because curiosity for it's own sake is fun, and knowing things is better than not knowing things. You should try it sometime.

    If that's being on 'cloud 9', then I feel bad for you.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OldHouseMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,214
    Pretty cool bikes for sure. Saw them at NAHBS a couple years ago, the craftsmanship is amazing.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BIGfatED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    OK, I'll break it down to baby food for you.

    WOOP WOOP WOOP = red alert

    FUD FUD FUD = fear, uncertainty, doubt. As in, "this is new and strange to me. Without doing any further research or attempting any understanding, I think I'll infer it's the worst possible and stupid, and pass judgment."

    Wood is used structurally in boats, airplanes, and baseball bats. With the right laminates, it's incredibly strong and light. I knew that going in, and was incredibly skeptical.

    Like you, I'm pushing 300 and break stuff. But, unlike you, I actually think before opening my mouth, so I investigated the site, read through all their info, and did a bit of digging of my own. I did that because curiosity for it's own sake is fun, and knowing things is better than not knowing things. You should try it sometime.

    If that's being on 'cloud 9', then I feel bad for you.
    Proud to say I am not pushing three bills, and also proud to say I have ridden greater than 3000 miles year to date. I ride hard, to my limit, and I ride often. There YOU go making 'ass'umptions. Don't let the username fool you. I'm not fat and my names not Ed. Thanks for playing! You don't know me and you don't know how much I research so shut your pie-hole.

    I don't care if boats and airplanes are made out of wood. This is a bicycle, and no amount of laminate is going to sway me to purchase a frame made of said material. I purchase steel frames with lifetime warranties because I know how I ride and I know a steel frame can most likely be fix without discarding the whole frame. I by no means stated that this frame will break under "normal" rider weight and "normal" rider wear. I think the wood bike looks really cool, but I am confident that a wooden bike would not withstand the type/amount of riding that I throw down on an annual basis. So FUD FUD to you big man, and here's a challenge. Throw a leg over one of these beauties, ride like hell (>3000 miles) for the next year, then come back and tell me to eat crow. Until then I'm not throwing down my hard earned money for wood. Cheers!
    Last edited by BIGfatED; 12-21-2010 at 04:33 PM.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,892
    I'd be afraid of attracting woodpeckers.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    175
    fleas, I was thinking the same thing about "branding" it like a Louisville Slugger. Man, it's beautiful, and I'm sure branding it would look dumb, but I'd like to have mine like that. I'm going to look into getting one. Headed over there now.

    Beautiful bike.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    459
    If money was of no concern I wood definitely get one of the road bikes. For mtb I am a FS only type.

    And if I had it I would ride it everywhere. I lust after one of these. Do not think I will ever have one but, oh yeah. Wood buy, no problem, no worries.

    I think they will hold up as well as anything else.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,557
    For what it is worth here is the warranty:


    Simple warranty

    Renovo frames excluding finish are warranted against defects in materials or manufacturing for ten years from date of purchase to the original owner. The finish is warranted for two years from date of purchase, but does not include continuous outdoor exposure. Frames will be replaced or repaired at our option. Contact Renovo if you believe there is a defect, returns must be authorized by Renovo. The owner is responsible for shipping the frame to our shop.
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

  46. #46
    Has a cycling disorder
    Reputation: fishboy2807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    532
    I bought a Renovo R4 pursuit roadie. It is an exquisitely made frame... very stiff and rides super smooth. I was surprised how stable it is at speed and no vibration. Impressive bike.
    My carbon bike might be a lighter bike, but it's not getting a look in lately.
    I think a Badash would be fun.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    www.frameskin.com
    Dirtsurfer™ Custom mudguards
    www.dirtsurfer.com.au

  47. #47
    Map Maker
    Reputation: cbchess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,244
    very cool looking bike. There is a group doing wood bikes here in Richmond too.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,542
    Would you use wood filler to repair dings?

    It's neato and probably expensive. I guess guys like me will stick with $400 steel frames.

  49. #49
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    Would you use wood filler to repair dings?

    It's neato and probably expensive. I guess guys like me will stick with $400 steel frames.
    could do but it would look ugly as sin. Best off leaving it especially if hte finish is intact, or putting a dab of clear epoxy over it if not....best of getting it back to the makers for a proper fix of course. A big crease or dent would be pretty unlikely with timber but small ones would be very common.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,698
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Proud to say I am not pushing three bills, and also proud to say I have ridden greater than 3000 miles year to date. I ride hard, to my limit, and I ride often. There YOU go making 'ass'umptions. Don't let the username fool you. I'm not fat and my names not Ed. Thanks for playing! You don't know me and you don't know how much I research so shut your pie-hole.

    I don't care if boats and airplanes are made out of wood. This is a bicycle, and no amount of laminate is going to sway me to purchase a frame made of said material. I purchase steel frames with lifetime warranties because I know how I ride and I know a steel frame can most likely be fix without discarding the whole frame. I by no means stated that this frame will break under "normal" rider weight and "normal" rider wear. I think the wood bike looks really cool, but I am confident that a wooden bike would not withstand the type/amount of riding that I throw down on an annual basis. So FUD FUD to you big man, and here's a challenge. Throw a leg over one of these beauties, ride like hell (>3000 miles) for the next year, then come back and tell me to eat crow. Until then I'm not throwing down my hard earned money for wood. Cheers!

    - Who cares? Your avitar gives me wood (can't believe nobody said that)(yes, I know, TMI).

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    698
    Termites?

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    418
    two words!


    i yet don't have open my mind about wood bikes... looks crazy

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Noclutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,144
    Pics of those frames gives me flashbacks to the 70's and my Connelly slalom water ski.
    Imagine the anguish upon dropping a Renovo on the rocks
    Probably just as bad as letting the handle pop out of your hands dinging your beautiful skis face, and having to stare at it every time you pulled up

    But I'd love to have one for casual rides, despite looking like a Buick

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,542
    You guys are such suckers. I'm just going to cover my On-One Inbred with this stuff:


Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.