Converting Reba to remote lock out?- Mtbr.com
    Rollin 29s

Converting Reba to remote lock out?

I have a Reba Race 29er 100mm Fork with crown-mounted MotionControl Lever and I'm unclear about just what I need to convert it to pop loc or ?? remote controls, or IF it can be converted?

Climbs are very short where I ride, but there are lots of them. Having the limiting/ locking control on the crown where I either have to take my hands off of the handlebars and lean way forward and down to adjust it while riding, or most likely just stop the bike to safely make adjustments, means that it never gets adjusted and I never get the benefit of lock out for climbing.

The only way I will really get to get the benefits of fork lockout for climbing is to have a remote.

Since the control lever simply rotates, it would seem that a simple pulley, cable and lever on the handlebar could be installed. Is it as simple as installing a kit?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    The way SRAM wants it done is to buy a new Motion Control unit that has the spring loaded lockout and a handlebar remote. It's a very simple operation to swap out the MC unit. You just need to remove the adjuster knob, and use a 22mm (?) socket to unscrew the MCU. Screw the new MCU into the top stanchion, and replace the cable spindle for the remote. It think it took me about 15 minutes.

There are probably some clever people on here that have figured out how to spring load the MC unit, and could save that expense.

Rollin 29s
    I guess I don't understand the requirement for a spring (to keep lockout engaged?). The crown mounted lever is not spring loaded, and it doesn't move or vibrate out of lock out or out of fully active positions. If you swapped the lever with a pulley and installed the remote cable and lever on the handlebar, would this not do the same thing? the lever I assume positively clicks, or has some resistance (to keep the pulley where you set it) as you move it through the range from fully active to locked out, so why the need for an expensive spring loaded cartridge?

I'm sure there is something I'm not understanding.

Never trust a fart
    The spring is inside the Motion Control unit and is not for keeping the lockout engaged, but to release the lock out when reverting back to unlocking the front fork.

Basically the handle bar lock out with the correct Motion Control unit is for going from, lets say a nice long fire road climb where you need the fork locked out, to turning back around and bombing down said fire road where you need the fork to be active.

Do it the correct way so one, it works correctly, and two, you keep your warranty intact. If the fork is a 2008 or older, you will have to add fork oil to compensate for the new smaller Motion Control cartridge. If its a 2009 or newer, then no additional fork oil is needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65
    I guess I don't understand the requirement for a spring (to keep lockout engaged?). The crown mounted lever is not spring loaded, and it doesn't move or vibrate out of lock out or out of fully active positions. If you swapped the lever with a pulley and installed the remote cable and lever on the handlebar, would this not do the same thing? the lever I assume positively clicks, or has some resistance (to keep the pulley where you set it) as you move it through the range from fully active to locked out, so why the need for an expensive spring loaded cartridge?

I'm sure there is something I'm not understanding.
    Cables can only pull, they can't push. So you need some force on the other end that moves your adjustment in the opposite direction of what the cable can do, i.e. a different spring loaded cartridge. Not too different than a front or rear derailleur.

Poploc adjust is a different lever but same cartridge. I have no experience with this one

I have also seen people use an old friction shifter instead of the poploc lever. This lets lets you set it to specific amounts of compression instead of going zero to full.

The normal poploc doesn't have any clicks in the lever, just on or off. It has little resistance but locks in when pushed down. There is a separate small button that releases the catch and lets the spring pull the cable back the other way

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    The way SRAM wants it done is to buy a new Motion Control unit that has the spring loaded lockout and a handlebar remote. It's a very simple operation to swap out the MC unit. You just need to remove the adjuster knob, and use a 22mm (?) socket to unscrew the MCU. Screw the new MCU into the top stanchion, and replace the cable spindle for the remote. It think it took me about 15 minutes.

There are probably some clever people on here that have figured out how to spring load the MC unit, and could save that expense.
    I was looking at a freind's Poploc equipped Reba the other day. The crown of the Reba with Poploc also has a forged or molded in cable guide/stop in the forward part on the right side. Looks like you need a new crown too??? Wish I'd know this when I bought my Reba 29er SL.
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

Rollin 29s

Expensive upgrade!

Thanks for the explanations, I understand. I think that a slightly stiffer cable end (the part that is outside of the housing) could easily push a pulley. It takes no force to push it with one finger. The choke control on my '65 Mini Cooper for instance has no return spring, so the cable pulls and pushes the choke closed again. Cables CAN push, they just have to be a little thicker, at least in the area that is outside of the housing.

It looks like the cost of the motion control cartridge, crown mounted pulley assembly and poploc remote control comes close to $200.00! I think I can live with it the way it is for that kind of green.

If a return spring is needed, I can see using something like this:

I'm going to investigate some possibilities. As an engineer/ machinist, I have access to lathes and mills, and I'm sure I can make this work for the cost of the remote poploc lever, cable and possibly a clock spring. Unless I can find the 'proper' setup for $50 or so, I can't see spending that kind of dough on a $600 fork.

Yes, my shock is a 2010.

Your Best Friend
    PM sent.

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    I was looking at a freind's Poploc equipped Reba the other day. The crown of the Reba with Poploc also has a forged or molded in cable guide/stop in the forward part on the right side. Looks like you need a new crown too??? Wish I'd know this when I bought my Reba 29er SL.

No you do not need a new crown. When switching over to the PopLoc Motion control cartridge, it comes with a part that allows the pop loc cable to be used.

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    No you do not need a new crown. When switching over to the PopLoc Motion control cartridge, it comes with a part that allows the pop loc cable to be used.
    You are referring to the Poploc conversion kit that comes with the cable stop I'm assuming? What about when taking the Poploc components off of an '09 shock that came with it from the factory and putting it in one that has the manual control lever from the factory?

Here's a photo of the shock with factory poploc. You can see the built in cable stop in the crown.

Can the cable stop part be purchased separately for the application I described? Mine does not have the pictured cable stop in the crown.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It could be a good thing that you got a Reba with out the poploc, soon! March or April
    you will be able to put the new XX control on that fork. I like to make things too and I
    have thought about making my own also & it might work but than the poploc works fer!
    her!

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Hmmm....any pics?
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

Never trust a fart
    I don't have a picture of one. I do have 2 at the shop though. But if you check out the spare parts listing, go to page 40 and its item #22.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...list%29%20.pdf

The Sram part number for the cable stop is 11.4311.742.000

If you buy the Poploc Motion control cartridge kit it comes with the kit to retrofit your current fork to work with the Poploc/Pushloc system.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i have a poploc adjust on a reba race. like they said the return spring is inside the new motion control unit that comes with the kit. older reba forks have the cable guide molded in beside the motion control knob and 09 and up is pretty much a washer with the guide built in that goes on the the new motion control when u install it(according to lbs). u have to get every last bit of slack out of the cable when u install it or else u never get to full lock. after much tinkering i found this out and that last tiny bit makes all the difference. haven't had a chance to use mine on the trail yet, lifes been a bit busy but just riding around the neighbor hood its looking very promising. with the adjust model u can also twist the wheel on the remote and it pulls slack out of the cable to stiffen up the ride. pretty simple but effective. wishing the new xx control woulda been out when i got this...ill save that for the next build
    '08 ferrous 29er, '09 reba race, poploc adjust, thud buster, ism adamo peak( this thing rocks), odi ruffians.

Rollin 29s
    It looks like the XX control is just a push button. Is that the extent of the changes from the PopLoc to XX?

What is the MSRP of the XX?

I'm most likely going to try to trade my manual motion control for a PopLoc, but just curious.

Thanks Frdfandc for the link to the pic of the cable stop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65
    It looks like the XX control is just a push button. Is that the extent of the changes from the PopLoc to XX?

What is the MSRP of the XX?

I'm most likely going to try to trade my manual motion control for a PopLoc, but just curious.

Thanks Frdfandc for the link to the pic of the cable stop.
    The XX remote is a push button hydraulic setup; it pushes fluid through the hose to change the level in the damper. Requires a different model XX damper that I'm sure will be very expensive. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything and BTI didn't list any as in stock. I did find the lever alone for $75 but that didn't include the damper

Never trust a fart
    You will probably need to contact SRAM directly to get the XX setup. And considering the Poploc Motion Control damper for the 05-08 Reba's is around $80, and the Black Box would probably go for aroun $170.00, I can only imagine what the XX setup costs.

Remote lever would probably cost around $100 on the retail market.

Members who have read this thread: 0