Convert KHS Solo 1 to a Commuter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm Convert KHS Solo 1 to a Commuter?

I have been doing my reading and looking around for a good deal for a commuter. Seems as if I can snag this for around $250. Or grab a good ol' Mongoose for $350

I don't want to spend more than $500. I really am looking to get to something like this. Anyone care to make up my mind for me?

]

Former Bike Wrench
    You'll probably like the smooth ride of the steel KHS frame and fork over the aluminum frame and fork on the Mongoose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Do some research on he KHS solo one almost bought one early year frames had a lot of issues with dropout tensioning system.

Jenosn had he SE 29er on slae today for a great price.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member

Used Solo as a town/cross/beater?

After a search I stumbled on this thread. It's a good question. I've got a 29er HT that I do my trail riding on but I'm stuck using my road bike for around town. Problem is the bling factor of the roadbike is high due to it's nice spec, anyway, a simple steel 29 commuter would be ideal for beer runs and times whene I can't actually watch my bike.

So the Solo looks like a good choice at $250 used on CL. Should I do it? I can put cross tires on too right, use for fire roads? What about fenders? Will they fit? Anyone try an extracycle with one? Other option is a SS frame, as I've got a set of wheels I could use, would want traditional break mounts, and to gehtoize it to look low key. Any suggestions?

Apr 2007
    You'll have ample room for fenders if you're putting on cross tires.

What I'd suggest is this---why even look at a 29er for in-town use? Just get a <$100 26" on CL and put some slicks on it. I bought a 93? Specialized Rockhopper last year and put some 26x2.1 slicks on it (I've also got 26x1.25 for faster errand runs). Cost me $40 for the bike and $20 for tires. Got a little lock for it, but if it gets stolen, who cares? Good thing about these old Spec frames is the horizontal drops that can be converted to SS easily.

ADIDAB
    I have a KHS Solo One (the Alu version) that I use for commuting...

Pros - Can be converted to gears if need be
    Reliability (I have the newer version with the updated rear dropouts)
    Ability to accept fenders and racks

Cons - Harsher ride than steel
    No rack/fender mount at the rear dropout (???)
    Might need some sort of extender for the front fender
    Crap parts, esp. brakes

I got the bike complete from the Australian distributor for a great price and have ditched nearly all the parts for decent parts from a previous build. The mech disc brakes are diabolical (IMHO) and after upgrading to SLX hydraulics I feel a lot safer, esp. in the wet...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

Members who have read this thread: 0