mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Convert 2010 S-Works Stumpjumper Carbon HT 29er from 2x10 to 1x12

Hi all,

I'm looking to make some modifications to my bike over the winter and wanted to get some answers before I spend the cash.

I bought my bike used, from the original owner, and it was pretty much all stock with the exception of the handlebars, but I got the originals with it.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...t-29er/p/23062

I switched it over from a 2x10 (39t/26t) to a 1x10 (32t) this past spring. I love not having to deal with the front derailleur but really miss the top-end speed on flats. I'm looking at jumping up to a 36t in the front but I want to add more gears in the back, considering the 10/50t.

With all that being said, seeing as my hubs and wheels are stock (QR), can I simply add a SRAM XD driver and the 12 speed cassette? My set up is:

Front: Roval Control EL XC, OS, 28mm axle caps
    Rear: Roval Control EL XC, OS, stragiht pull

If not, what is the hub size I would need to get in order to accommodate that ?
    Last edited by cal2050; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Any input?

mtbr member
    I think if you can find an XD driver that will fit your hub, you're good. It would take some research to figure out what the hub is and if you could get an XD driver that would fit. Otherwise it's a new hub or a new wheel.

Another option might be the Eagle NX 11-50 cassette which fits a normal driver. Not as high a gear as a 10 tooth but you might compensate with a larger chainring if you don't need such a low gear.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There used to be a member in here named Roval Joe. He worked with Roval and is an Expert on this subject. Send him a pm and if hes still on here he should give you great answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You should be fine on the hub. I have that exact bike in my garage converted to 11 speed XX1. 12 speed uses the same driver body. Specialized/Roval sells the xD driver for it, takes 5 minutes to swap it out. I think you could use the DT swiss conversion as well if you can't find the Roval one. You may not need a a new crank either, Spec sells a XX1 spider for the OSBB carbon crank, and SRAM wide/narrow 11 speed rings work for 12 speed.

FYI I've gone up to a 36T on the front without clearance issues. The chaninline with the Spec 1x spider is a bit farther outboard than I'd like, but no real issues after running it thousands of miles.