mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Continental tires for my 29er

Hi. Any feedback on Continental Trail King and Continental X-king tires. Theyíre have a reasonably good price, but I donít see them very often in my area trails. Appreciate your comments. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What inner width rims do you have?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    What inner width rims do you have?
    Iím still running with my original Bontrager AT550 wheels. Donít know where to find the inner width of the rim. The original tires are Bontrager 29x2.10 [52/52].
    The numbers in the sidewalls are: 52-622. 29x2.10.
    The rims have a small print numbers: 622 x 20 AL 6061.
    Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That 20 likely means 20mm hopefully inner width between the beads.
    Which is very skinny. And can let the sidewall foldover because of lack of the sidewall support you get from for example 30mm inner rims. Foldover give instant loss of traction and usually a crash.
    The Bontrager XR2 Team 2.35 for $54 is one of the best values for very good performance and they last and roll fast. If you put them on 35mm rims they would be difficult to beat in hardpack with loose dry conditions. High volume with a very rounded profile so you can run 5 or more less psi. for a bigger footprint. The supported sidewall crinkles instead of folding over so you retain your footprint and traction. Losing traction is slow and predictable with time to recover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Continental tires for my 29er-p1070734.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    That 20 likely means 20mm hopefully inner width between the beads.
    Which is very skinny. And can let the sidewall foldover because of lack of the sidewall support you get from for example 30mm inner rims. Foldover give instant loss of traction and usually a crash.
    The Bontrager XR2 Team 2.35 for $54 is one of the best values for very good performance and they last and roll fast. If you put them on 35mm rims they would be difficult to beat in hardpack with loose dry conditions. High volume with a very rounded profile so you can run 5 or more less psi. for a bigger footprint. The supported sidewall crinkles instead of folding over so you retain your footprint and traction. Losing traction is slow and predictable with time to recover.
    Thanks. Any online retailers that sell these tires ??

since 4/10/2009
    Depends on your local trails.

I rode x-kings for years, and they're definitely a more cross country tire. They're particularly pretty good for hardpack, but they're not the best when trails get particularly chunky or even a little slippery. The knobs are too small to really grab bigger chunk.

The Trail King is a better tread for chunky, loose conditions.

Though it looks like there are two Trail King tires in the lineup now....The TK ProTection Apex and the TK ProTection and they're very different tires. The new one looks like it falls between the X-king (renamed the cross king) and the older Trail King ProTection Apex.

I'd be leery on the tires you're looking at. There's a good chance that they're the cheapest OEM versions of the tires. IME, if they don't have the Black Chili rubber compound, don't bother with them. Rubber compound is at least as important as tread pattern, if not moreso. If you're not getting a tire with the best rubber compound available for that tire, you're selling yourself short. It's an easy upgrade you can do to any bike to improve grip.

Personally, I've moved away from Conti as a tire brand. They're still stuck on old tire sizes. They tend to be undersized, anyway, but they've completely ignored fatbikes, plus bikes, and now the new 2.6 tweener size that can fit a lot of bikes that aren't "plus" bikes.

My bike stable probably has more Maxxis tires than any other brand right now (2 sets total). But I've also got a set of Conti x-kings for my wife's old xc bike, Clement (for my road bike), Surly and 45Nrth (for my fatbike), and some cheap OEM Kendas on my wife's gravel bike.

Give it to eb to more or less tell you that you need to buy a new wheelset, when you were just asking about tires.

mtbr member
    My only experience with continental mtb tires wasnít great. They lost side knobs very quickly. I rode them for less than twenty miles, and the rear tire, a x-king, had lost about ten knobs. Continentalís customer service, however, was amazing in replacing the tire immediately.

mtbr member
    I'm really liking my x-king protection tires. I don't have a pile of miles on them, but,
    so far so good. As stated above, I'm mainly riding hard pack though.

Nutrailer
    I've had both and the X-Kings tread pattern seemed to have a much lower rolling resistance - may be worth considering if your ride includes tarmac or hard pack, but the Trail Kings definitely had the better grip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Bontrager does some cool tires, my kids 29er bike has XR3s, those are good all around, they are not the tubeless version, but they have been working great setup tubeless on older stans rims, super light too, the bike is about 3/4 pound lighter than with the maxxis tubeless I took off of there (ardent and crossmark iirc).
    I ran an x-king 2.2 as a rear for a couple of race seasons, I liked it in dry and wet, roots and rocks too, - some guys don't like these at all, but I put it on the cat1 masters podium a bunch of times. I've currently got an old 26er x-king on my trainer bike, it's been good too, I'll run it through summer, it should be pretty worn out by fall wet weather. I like the X-king for a do-it-all xc type tire.
    I'm mostly a vittoria fan for xc at the moment, running Mezcals on one bike and Barzos on the other, I had a Peyote up front in dry over the summer and it was very good too. Mezcal is my current favorite, but it's probably not the best for stickier mud.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

Chilling out
    I am modestly had on tires, but I do like the trail king quite a bit. I roll the 2.4 size on my bike and it seems to measure reasonably on then Flow Mk3 rims. I use the apex model for additional durability, but could probably use the base protection model front which would save quite a few grams per tire.

I agree that continental tires tend to narrow, but late model trail king (and der kaiser, and der baron) have been true to size in my experience .

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Juancts View Post
    Thanks. Any online retailers that sell these tires ??
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/11866/

You can buy them off the site with free shipping or any Trek dealer can order them. Just now in stock(2.35) after none all last year.

Continental tires for my 29er-2.3.jpg