Continental Mountain King 29x2.4??- Mtbr.com
    Pirate!!!

Continental Mountain King 29x2.4??

Looking at a set of these, Are they RAD??

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i use one on the front and its a sweet tire i think.... its not a huge volume tire like the wtb weir wolfs 2.55's

mtbr member
    Not sure what your conditions are like but they make excellent snow tires. Great in wet conditions as well. On hard pack and rock I find the soft knobs to be a bit squirmy but it's nothing you won't get used to after a few rides. Continental is discontinuing this tread pattern so they can be found pretty cheap nowadays.

Stiff yet compliant
    Casing width is less than 2.2 on my tire. Side knobs are very squirmy when you lean into a corner on hard pack. I took some snips and cut 1/8" off the tips of all the side knobs and it was a big improvement.

Otherwise a good tire. Nice rolling, good traction and long wearing.

Did I catch a niner+?
    It's a nice fall/winter tire especially if there are a lot of wet leaves but I think it's poor in all other areas. They give a lot of rolling resistance I noticed and find my Captains are a much better overall tire plus larger volume.

If you want a knarly tire like that I would look at maybe a Bontrager 29-4.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Pirate!!!
    Well I was looking at the kenda small block at pricepoint, and I noticed the continental for the same price, so it had me wondering. Not to muddy around here because the pine needle cover, but it can be slippery. I'm running a nevegal in the front, and the new tire is for the rear.

mtbr member
    Check out the Maxxis Crossmark as well....great rear tire.

mtbr member
    In that case, definitely the Mtn.King over the SB8. IMHO the SB8 is for hardpack and dry, anything else and it's not nice, again IMHO. As a rear tyre the Mtn.King will hook up for you, especially if those pine needles are deep and the squirming isn't something to be worried about on the rear. One thing to note though, if it's of any concern, the Mtn.King 2.4" is a bigger tyre over the Nev, both in terms of width and height. Just actually finished running this combo - Mtn.King R/Nev F - so I know first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb
    Well I was looking at the kenda small block at pricepoint, and I noticed the continental for the same price, so it had me wondering. Not to muddy around here because the pine needle cover, but it can be slippery. I'm running a nevegal in the front, and the new tire is for the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Pirate!!!
    That is good to know. Maybe I'll buy one for the front also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb
    Tires "care" about what they're in contact with - hard or soft, wet or dry, debris or not. They don't care if they were on sale or not.

Agreed with Lynx. For what you're riding in the Mountain King would be the better tire, provided it'll fit your frame. I hope when you say "it's slippery" you mean because of the amount of pine needles and not that it's wet. Imho/ime, Continental tires do not play well with anything wet.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    I hope when you say "it's slippery" you mean because of the amount of pine needles and not that it's wet. Imho/ime, Continental tires do not play well with anything wet.

I would say they play well in wet sand and mud, but on wet smooth surfaces, they are slippery. Forget pavement or cement, these things wear out fast if you ride road at all to the trail head.

Pirate!!!
    It is slippery because the dence pine needle cover, so I went ahead and ordered the mountain king. Thanks for the help folks.

Cars Are Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    these things wear out fast if you ride road at all to the trail head.
    +111, especially on the back

mtbr member
    if you only want one tyre that can do it all, this is it!

Members who have read this thread: 0