Coming from 26er FS to 29er hardtail - my impressions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Coming from 26er FS to 29er hardtail - my impressions

So I just got a hardtail 29er (Gary Fisher Cobia), coming from a 26" full suspension. I got a Thudbuster for my arse and dropped the tire PSI down to 28, and now it's a blast to ride! I like how my pedaling energy gets transferred to the ground instead of being soaked up by the rear shock.

The stability of the 29er is different and it's taking a while for me to get used to it. It makes the same trail feel smoother. The bike feels smoother in areas where the 26er would be 'nervous' feeling, most notably in downhill sections. It feels 'slower' even though it's not. It's kind of like making molehills out of mountains. I like to think of it as my steamroller.

BTW, I'm not a big guy, only about 5'7". (I'm riding a Gary Fisher 17.5" size)

I think I'm still going to keep my 26er for variety, but I have a feeling I'll be riding the 29er more. Future plans: I think I might go 1x9 via jumpstop and BBG bashguard. I also got a set of Kenda Kross tires to swap out for road riding. I know this sounds crazy, but I've also been thinking about removing the rear disc for simplicity and to force me to use more momentum

Is dang happy!

Yep, yer crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by 65Matt
    . I know this sounds crazy, but I've also been thinking about removing the rear disc for simplicity and to force me to use more momentum

Just unhook the rear cable for a ride and tell us how it went, If you don't get back to us we will know where to find you.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Rider and Wrench
    Yep the whole rear brake thing is over rated anyway....

So to summerize a 29er Hardtail obviously out performs a 26" hardtail and it is now confirmed it is 100% equal if not better than a 26" full susser, no if's and's or's or butttt's.... Finally it is official and we can all put it behind us.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Members who have read this thread: 0