Cohutta 100....- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cohutta 100....

giddy up!

Cohutta 100....

...any of ya'll planning on attending? I sure am!

For those of you that have no idea what I'm talking about.....there's a new 100 miler being held on April 22nd in Tennessee.

Who's in?

Endomaniac? Lanpope? Wooglin? One Gear Guy?

Bueller?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Uh, I'm pretty sure my wife is going. Yep, she is.
    Make sure to get her some fried catfish.

paintbucket
    Not me. I've got family duty that weekend. I'll be at the Baker's Dozen 13hr instead, being a ride-by dad. Might bring the trail-a-bike, too.

Padre, you've gotta get out more. Catfish is Louisiana and Alabama. Tennessee is grits country.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Padre, you've gotta get out more. Catfish is Louisiana and Alabama. Tennessee is grits country.
    True.....I'm developing a bit of a taste for cheese-grits. Oh, and barbeque.

You can keep the fried okra though.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    True.....I'm developing a bit of a taste for cheese-grits. Oh, and barbeque.

You can keep the fried okra though.

B
    You really shouldn't base your opinion of fried okra based on Cracker Barrell's. Give it another go, how bout it?

Whatever you can do or dream you can do, do it now. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
    ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I’m in for the 100. I have spent half my life in the Ocoee gorge I’m not about to miss this one. I wish it was a little more singletrack but oh well. I’m going to have to start riding more its only 2 months away and our winter just started I’ve been on the fixy a few hours a week lately and that’s about it.

Are you and Madre flying into Knoxville or Nashville? Tara and I are more than happy to help you two out in any way we can while you are in town.

BTW…I think Brussard is coming as well.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    I’m in for the 100. I have spent half my life in the Ocoee gorge I’m not about to miss this one. I wish it was a little more singletrack but oh well. I’m going to have to start riding more its only 2 months away and our winter just started I’ve been on the fixy a few hours a week lately and that’s about it.

Are you and Madre flying into Knoxville or Nashville? Tara and I are more than happy to help you two out in any way we can while you are in town.

BTW…I think Brussard is coming as well.
    We'll be flying into Nasheville and then driving a rental car over to Knoxville. We should be in Knoxville by 5:00pm on friday.

The only help we might need would befor someone to drop off aid bags....they're supposed to be at the race site by 8:30 friday.

Glad you're riding, should be a great time. Single or geared? Will Tara be riding?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Forming an opinion of vegetables at Cracker Barrel is akin to deciding if you like seafood based on a Filet’O‘Fish experience at McDonalds.

giddy up!
    Forming an opinion of vegetables at Cracker Barrel is akin to deciding if you like seafood based on a Filet’O‘Fish experience at McDonalds.
    You make a good point here....I may have to give it a second chance.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

giddy up!
    Can you still call it a vegetable after it's been through the frying experience?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

If I can get some fitness under me I may make this my first attempt at 100 miles on a single speed. I’m certainly not going to try SS at Shenandoah or the Wild101. But more than likely Ill ride the Wily set up geared and rigid. I have road events the following two weekends and don’t want to blow myself out. Tara will do the 35 mile distance.

I’m kind of torn on the Friday night thing. I don’t really want to camp down there it’s only an hour drive from my house. But not going Friday eliminates the possibility of doing any drops.

giddy up!
    If I can get some fitness under me I may make this my first attempt at 100 miles on a single speed. I’m certainly not going to try SS at Shenandoah or the Wild101. But more than likely Ill ride the Wily set up geared and rigid. I have road events the following two weekends and don’t want to blow myself out. Tara will do the 35 mile distance.

I’m kind of torn on the Friday night thing. I don’t really want to camp down there it’s only an hour drive from my house. But not going Friday eliminates the possibility of doing any drops.

Yeah, the Friday night deal is a bit of a toss up. I have a feeling we'll wind up preferring a nice bed over drop bags.

I'll likely be riding the Moots/Pace.

Cool that Tara will be there!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

paintbucket
    Can you still call it a vegetable after it's been through the frying experience?

B
    Can you still call it a vegetable after its been boiled (into utter submission) with fatback?

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004
    Can you still call it a vegetable after its been boiled (into utter submission) with fatback?

Yes, and yes on the fried vegetable too. Just because it has no nutritional value any more does not negate it's identity as a brocolli flowerette or other FryDaddy worthy veggie.

Endomaniac, care to give us another appropriate analogy here?

ca
    Whatever you can do or dream you can do, do it now. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004
    Oh yeah, and I'm in for the 100. It'll be my first dirt century so I'm excited!!

Namrita?? You in for this?

www.badgercycles.com
    Do you guys have a link to this race? Sounds like a fun roadtrip.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbeam

Endomaniac, care to give us another appropriate analogy here?

ca
    I’d try to come up with another analogy but after reading this thread all I can think about is the possibility of deep frying some fatback.

Quote Originally Posted by robpennell
    Do you guys have a link to this race? Sounds like a fun roadtrip.
    http://www.newleafadventures.com/cohutta.asp

www.badgercycles.com

Thanks. I just looked at the schedule and Trans Iowa is the weekend after. Maybe I can make it next year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I used to live in Ellijay Ga and have ridden most of the route for this race and have to say good luck to all who attend, your in for a "real epic" ride. the Tanasi trail system is epic in itself, The forest service roads are going to suprise all but the locals with there difficulty and killer views. Anyone that went to the SSWC05 will be having flash backs of the road sections. If you have anything left after the race try to make it to Chilhowee Mtn trail system, it is a 7 mille drive up the road from the white water center and has some killer single track with a little bit of everything.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by number2
    I used to live in Ellijay Ga and have ridden most of the route for this race and have to say good luck to all who attend, your in for a "real epic" ride. the Tanasi trail system is epic in itself, The forest service roads are going to suprise all but the locals with there difficulty and killer views. Anyone that went to the SSWC05 will be having flash backs of the road sections. If you have anything left after the race try to make it to Chilhowee Mtn trail system, it is a 7 mille drive up the road from the white water center and has some killer single track with a little bit of everything.
    Hey #2, is the route doable on an SS in reasonable time? or is it better suited for gears?
    basically, how much flat is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Hey #2, is the route doable on an SS in reasonable time? or is it better suited for gears?
    basically, how much flat is there?
    I would anticipate very little flat riding. It’s all up or down. I think it would be a good SS course (if you’re a 100 mile SS kind of person) because their will be fairly little flat and 14,000 in a hundred miles isn’t too bad. Allot of that climbing will be on fire roads. Of all the singletrack there is only one climb that is very difficult for a SS it’s fairly short and I think the course will descend it anyway. I ride the area a ton and run a 36/23 and am not near as fast as Donkey.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I know a few guys that used to do a 80 mile version starting at Bear Creek trail and they all road SS. Matt Chester attended at least 1 of those rides on a SS 29er in 2000 or 01 and if I remember right it took them around 8 to 9 hours to complete. I would not do it on a SS but I'm a old fat guy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'll be there. At this point I'm planning on running 32x20 which has been a pretty good gear for me in Pisgah. I too had wondered about how much flats there would be since I've never been to this area. Me and teamdickey are planning to come in from Charlotte on Friday night.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    We'll be flying into Nasheville and then driving a rental car over to Knoxville. We should be in Knoxville by 5:00pm on friday.

The only help we might need would befor someone to drop off aid bags....they're supposed to be at the race site by 8:30 friday.

Glad you're riding, should be a great time. Single or geared? Will Tara be riding?

B
    -B, I'm only about 2 hours from the Ocoee. If you need my help in any way just let me know. I usually don't do any racing but I was thinking about going up that weekend just to check it out. Might do the 35 mile. Are you flying with your bike, or shipping it? Let me know if I can help.

Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I will be there.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzthepug
    -B, I'm only about 2 hours from the Ocoee. If you need my help in any way just let me know. I usually don't do any racing but I was thinking about going up that weekend just to check it out. Might do the 35 mile. Are you flying with your bike, or shipping it? Let me know if I can help.

Steve
    Thanks for the offer, very kind of you. My gal lives in Knoxville so we should be all taken care of in terms of logistics....nothing left to do but ride! After looking into shipping rates I think I'll stick with taking the bike on the plane!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Oh yeah, and I'm in for the 100. It'll be my first dirt century so I'm excited!!

Namrita?? You in for this?
    um...yeeaah! cool that you are too. then we can both whine together as we climb turkey pen gap the next week
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by namrita
    um...yeeaah! cool that you are too. then we can both whine together as we climb turkey pen gap the next week

Yeah, no doubt...I was thinking about that too! At least we have one weekend in between. Any chance you'll have your Dean by then? Or will you be riding the Kona?

ca

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Yeah, no doubt...I was thinking about that too! At least we have one weekend in between. Any chance you'll have your Dean by then? Or will you be riding the Kona?

ca
    there is a chance...but i'm not counting on it. i'll at least have the kona 2-9 and the king kikapu to choose from.
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    I really want to do it...
    Cannot commit 100% right now due to my impending move to Pittsburgh in May, but with all you fine folks signing up, how will I be able to stay away?!

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    I really want to do it...
    Cannot commit 100% right now due to my impending move to Pittsburgh in May, but with all you fine folks signing up, how will I be able to stay away?!

OGG
    Hopefully we'll see ya there!
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

giddy up!
    Alrighty...the time is drawing near(er).

Any more takers out there? Anyone backing out?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Alrighty...the time is drawing near(er).

Any more takers out there? Anyone backing out?

B
    I regretfully inform you that I won't be present at this wonderful gathering... Too much $$ for me at this time. Laymo excuse, I know, but just a fact at this time. Maybe we can figure out a way to get us all together during your trip here...
    Lemme know B.

BTW- this just dawned on me- Who will be riding on Endo's ticket now that he hurt himself?

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

breathing helium
    Sounds like a lot of fun guys! Maybe by year after next I'll have my legs back?! I've been off of riding for a while but I'm getting back into it again. I'd love to do it though!!!

Oh, and I wonder if they'll have sweet tea at all of the aid stations? Well, it's the only kind of tea there is, right?

Yes, and about the fried okra. I was like you Donkey until I tried some true homemade fried okra. Having grown up in the South, anything can be fried: corn (really good actually), broccoli (?), and of course taters or any kind of fish, deer, meat, etc... I can only take so much after living away for so long.

Mar 2006
    crap,crap,crap. i cant believe i a missing this one. i live about 30 minutes from this one and have ridden on the tennessee side of this route i dont know how many times. it will be a killer ride. it does have a lot of climbing and the forest service roads are in good shape with great views. i used to ride these at least 3 times a week until i moved north about 30 miles to tellico area( even more climbing and bigger mountains) i cant get off from work(my weekend to work) i have tried everything i can to get off work but cant work it out. i do several mountain road centuries every year but have not done an off road one yet. i am definitely doing the off road assault on mount mitchell in north carolina in july(14000 ft of climbing in 62 miles this year. sounds like a great ride, check it out. the cohutta 100 is in a remote area, during the ride you are going to feel like you are way out in the wilderness. i hope everyone who is doing it has a great time and the weather is good. one word of advice from somone who has ridden in the area and most of the roads on the route, pace yourself, there are no flat sections

giddy up!

Awesome day.

Let me hear some reports!

I'll be the first to say that the Cohutta was AWESOME.

It rained for about 5 hours of the race. In California terms...it was a downpour. I was soaked. Soaked to the point of watching water squirt out of my shoes with each pedal stroke. Soaked enough that I wasn't muddy. Soaked.

The course was really fun. There was some really fun singletrack and ALOT of gravel road. The gravel road started to get old after a while but the scenery kept it interesting.

There are 2 stories that capture the experience of the day for me:

First of all....My girlfriend(Moonbeam, Carol Ann) finished her first 100 miler and had a great time. She rocked her rigid Airborne B-29 and crossed the finished line smiling. I can't begin to describe how proud I am of her accomplishment. This is a girl who has really only been riding(serious offroad riding anyway) for around 2 years. Very impressive....heroic even.

The other story of the day was Madre's mishap. I finished in 9:20 or soo.....I knew Madre couldn't be far behind me(inside I went into the race thinking she'd beat me)....I figured maybe 15-20 minutes at the most. After I had been standing there for a half hour or soo a girl came through telling me that Madre was in 3rd place for the womens category....that also meant she was in 5th mens singlespeed. I waited...camera at the ready for a while....and I waited. It became obvious that something had happened....make a long story short...she got lost. Very lost. She wound up off-course in a backwoods East TN town and had to hitch a ride back to the race in the back of a truck. Unbelievable.

So yeah...that was the day for me.

B
    Last edited by donkey; 04-24-2006 at 07:04 AM.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligero
    I will be there.
    Were you out there? If so what were you riding?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

There were 2 stories that capture the experience of the day for me:

First of all....My girlfriend(Moonbeam, Carol Ann) finished her first 100 miler and had a great time. She rocked her rigid Airborne B-29 and crossed the finished line smiling. I can't begin to describe how proud I am of her accomplishment. This is a girl who has really only been riding(serious offroad riding anyway) for around 2 years. Very impressive....heroic even.

The other story of the day was Madre's mishap. I finished in 9:20 or soo.....I knew Madre couldn't be far behind me(inside I went into the race thinking she'd beat me)....I figured maybe 15-20 minutes at the most. After I had been standing there for a half hour or soo a girl came through telling me that Madre was in 3rd place for the womens category....that also meant she was in 5th mens singlespeed. I waited...camera at the ready for a while....and I waited. It became obvious that something had happened....make a long story short...she got lost. Very lost. She wound up off-course in a backwoods East TN town and had to hitch a ride back to the race in the back of a truck. Unbelievable.

So yeah...that was the day for me.

B
    Oh NO! I saw her rolling in later than expected so I figured she'd gotten lost. That totally sucks!! But she is an amazing rider- my hero

Great job to you and Moonbeam!! I was bummed to not be out there riding with her. Oh well, soon enough I guess....

Nice to meet you in person, Brian!
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by namrita
    Oh NO! I saw her rolling in later than expected so I figured she'd gotten lost. That totally sucks!! But she is an amazing rider- my hero

Great job to you and Moonbeam!! I was bummed to not be out there riding with her. Oh well, soon enough I guess....

Nice to meet you in person, Brian!
    It was great meeting you as well!

Hopefully we'll bump into each other at some events in the future....maybe some 100 milers out West;-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Holy cow- that story about Madre is crazy! Did anyone else get lost as well? Was the couse poorly marked in places or was Madre going so fast all signage was a big blur anyway.

BIG, HUGE PROPS AND A BEAR HUG TO MOONBEAM FOR HER ACCOMPLISHMENT!

Man, moving really stinks- I didn't have a chance to participate on any level. I am a loser.
    OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

giddy up!

Word. It's a huge accomlishment for her. I gave her plenty of hugs and a few kisses as well

As for the signage.....it was a kinda confusing spot...I stopped there for a minute and thought about it but ended up making the right choice. Madre had one other rider that made the turn(and took the subsequent truck ride) with her. It was a very easy mistake to make, especially soo late in the game when you might be mentally taxed. However....Barb and the New Leaf folks did a fantastic job and put on a great race....the signage on the course was awesome and very thorough....this one spot was just a bit strange if you thought about it too much.

We missed ya out there!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Word. It's a huge accomlishment for her. I gave her plenty of hugs and a few kisses as well

As for the signage.....it was a kinda confusing spot...I stopped there for a minute and thought about it but ended up making the right choice. Madre had one other rider that made the turn(and took the subsequent truck ride) with her. It was a very easy mistake to make, especially soo late in the game when you might be mentally taxed. However....Barb and the New Leaf folks did a fantastic job and put on a great race....the signage on the course was awesome and very thorough....this one spot was just a bit strange if you thought about it too much.

We missed ya out there!

B
    The mind really can play tricks with fatigue. Interestingly, that is one of the reasons I love long rides/races and SSing. It's an interesting chess match and you don't need to spend bike money on recreational drugs 'cause I doubt any could touch the bike-madness experience! If only Hendrix discovered SSing along with the Stratocaster.
    I am looking forward to hearing from Madre/Padre on her adventure/misadventure.

Where did you finish up in the SS class?

Dicky has some great stuff at his blog over here:
    http://teamdicky.blog.com/

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

And He was Not
    Our local rider Teamdickey won the S/S class.

I heard he had recently got a fresh shippment of EPO in so that would explain how he pulled it off. He did have a 29'r fork on his bike

www.teamdicky.blog.com

The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

giddy up!

Where did you finish up in the SS class?

OGG
    I wound up 4th behind Team Dicky(Rich) in 1st, some guy on a sweet seven 29"er in second and Zach Broussard in 3rd. They were all around 20 minutes ahead of me I think.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    I wound up 4th behind Team Dicky(Rich) in 1st, some guy on a sweet seven 29"er in second and Zach Broussard in 3rd. They were all around 20 minutes ahead of me I think.

B
    Awesome ride, B. Those are some heavy hitters you had in front of you!
    What gear did you wind up riding?

Ad
    Spinning and Grinning...

paintbucket
    I am a loser.
    You and me both, and I didn't have the excuse of moving.

Sounds like a fun day. Bummer about Madre though, that's a long way to come to get lost.

Category Winner
    [QUOTE=Enoch]Our local rider Teamdickey won the S/S class.
    www.teamdicky.blog.com
    QUOTE]

I was just doing my best to make sure I didn't have to read a "29'er wins the Cohutta 100" thread. I am sure that all you 29'er riders are kicking yourselves for doubting the sheer awesome power of the 26" inch wheel. Maybe yinz should see if the guy who bought your old little wheeled bikes will sell them back to you.

(two smilies so everybody knows I am kidding)
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    You and me both, and I didn't have the excuse of moving.

Sounds like a fun day. Bummer about Madre though, that's a long way to come to get lost.
    Guess we missed an opportunity to set up shop and cheer our buddies, eh?

At least Madre saw a whole lot more of the area than she bargained for. Made the long haul more of a sightseeing mission (sheesh, I am such a cheesy optimist).

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

And He was Not
    [QUOTE=teamdicky]
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Our local rider Teamdickey won the S/S class.
    www.teamdicky.blog.com
    QUOTE]

I was just doing my best to make sure I didn't have to read a "29'er wins the Cohutta 100" thread. I am sure that all you 29'er riders are kicking yourselves for doubting the sheer awesome power of the 26" inch wheel. Maybe yinz should see if the guy who bought your old little wheeled bikes will sell them back to you.

(two smilies so everybody knows I am kidding)

You see this BOY is a lurker.He is prolly as up to date on th e 29 stuff as anyone.His rigid fork is a prototype 29 made by IF. I think he's waiting for a sponsered ride.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004

OGG
    Thanks Adam!!! I was all smiles.
    It was a great accomplishment for me, and (other than killer chainsuck) I had a great time throughout the whole day. See ya at PMBAR!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Man that sucks about Madre getting lost! She was pulling into station #2 as I was leaving and caught me somewhere before station #3. She was turning the same 32x21 I was and we rode together for a spell on one of the long climbs- until I had to get off and walk! She kept on climbing and I never saw her again. No doubt she is the strongest female SS'er I've seen.

There was one turn in the last 10 miles with conflicting signage where there was kinda left and right arrorws before a DH doubletrack.
    Last edited by Surlydave; 04-24-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Really great effort Moonbeam,
    It was great to see Donkey again and meet Madre.
    After reading Padre's posts for years I would have never expected him to land such a sweet lady.

I'm with Padre....
    I've been going insane thinking about that fateful left turn. Of course, now I know that it was clearly marked, but by that time, my brain was a little fried.
    Despite the detour, the Cohutta was a great race.

Cohutta highlights: Hanging out with Donkey, Moonbeam and and the TN gang: riding the Niner for 10 hours; beautiful TN scenery.

Cohutta lowlights: Being soaked to the bone for 5 hours straight; seeing parts of TN I wasn't supposed to; the unscheduled ride with TN local redneck "Joe Bob" back to the event.

Although I did ride 100 miles and then some, it would have been nice to cross the finish line.
    Who knew a DNF could still be so fun?
    thanks to: Niner Bikes & The Path Bike Shop

giddy up!
    After reading Padre's posts for years I would have never expected him to land such a sweet lady.
    Hehehehehe....classic.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Were you out there? If so what were you riding?

B

Are you the guy with the dog named Molly? I was working sag 6 with Zeke.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    No sir...I was riding the Strong 29er SS.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I remember that too. Were there 2 ladies on Airborne B29's? I recall seeing one. Just adding up the 60+ people that flew by me on Saturday.

giddy up!
    I remember that too. Were there 2 ladies on Airborne B29's? I recall seeing one. Just adding up the 60+ people that flew by me on Saturday.
    Just one gal on B-29....that'd be my 5'1" girlfriend who was riding her first 100 miler:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

giddy up!
    I keep thinking about this race...and ideas that would make it even better...

I only came up with one idea that would make the race better........offer a 125 or 150 mile option. To me...this course is the perfect candidate for a longer day...here's why:

1. The terrain is pretty fast. I averaged well over 10 miles an hour...which to me means that it's a pretty quick course.
    2. The area seemed to have no shortage of trails and roads heading off in every which direction.
    3. Relatively long days. Everyone was off the course before dark and we started at 7am. Move the start to 5am and you could easily have those who chose the long option off the course by nightfall.
    4. There are no steep climbs on the course....thus making for relatively stable legs late in the day.

I emailed the race promoters with the idea...I would love to see them offer the 35, 100 and a 125 or 150 option.

Thoughts?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Category Winner
    Thoughts?
    B

How about a "last man standing" kinda race. Every read Stephen King's "The Long Walk"?
    That's what I am talking about.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I keep thinking about this race...and ideas that would make it even better...

I only came up with one idea that would make the race better........offer a 125 or 150 mile option. To me...this course is the perfect candidate for a longer day...here's why:

1. The terrain is pretty fast. I averaged well over 10 miles an hour...which to me means that it's a pretty quick course.
    2. The area seemed to have no shortage of trails and roads heading off in every which direction.
    3. Relatively long days. Everyone was off the course before dark and we started at 7am. Move the start to 5am and you could easily have those who chose the long option off the course by nightfall.
    4. There are no steep climbs on the course....thus making for relatively stable legs late in the day.

I emailed the race promoters with the idea...I would love to see them offer the 35, 100 and a 125 or 150 option.

Thoughts?

B
    cool idea, especially for that race like you said.. i don't think i personally would opt for 5am, 7am is plenty early for me; however there are plenty of whacks out there that would do it i think..
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

Go make a difference

That was me with the big white dog. Talked about pooped, you'd think SHE ran 100 miles the way she slept on the way home that night! Nothing like a snorring dog in the truck to keep ya awake.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll be the first to say that the Cohutta was AWESOME.

It rained for about 5 hours of the race. In California terms...it was a downpour. I was soaked. Soaked to the point of watching water squirt out of my shoes with each pedal stroke. Soaked enough that I wasn't muddy. Soaked.

B
    Congrats to you Donkey and also to Moonbeam. Sounds like quite a ride you two had to endure. Interesting about the rain - sounds like the soil handled it well enough though. Your luck is about as close to mine - I came out to SoCal this spring to do 3 road events and got in a downour on 2 of them. It just doesn't end either because now you have to work on the bikes the week after!

Members who have read this thread: 0