Cobia 29er with non g2 shock help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cobia 29er with non g2 shock help

My Gary fisher cobia came with a rock shox tora sl. After the shop rebuilding it three times to no avail rock shock decided to sent me a replacement. They actually upgraded me to a 2011 recon fork which is nice. they did not have any G2 forks so I have a stangdard offset fork now. Do you think this will mess up the geometry of my bike or should I just accept it when they call me to pick it up. i'm afraid if i take it home and ride it they will say its too late and im stuck with a funky handling bike. For those of you who know g2 forks use a funky offset that isnt standard. Any info will be helpful. Tim
    29ers are more fun!

mtbr member
    I didn't know that Recons were available for 29er wheels...

But, the non-G2 offset won't adversely affect your handling. Word on the street is that many of the factory pros are using standard offset forks on the race bikes.

mtbr member

available for a few weeks.

The recon 29er is brand new for 2011. Not available for retail yet (or very recently became). I saw it when it came in and it's a very light and good looking fork. The weight of my tora 29 was over 5 pounds. This one is 3.8 pounds according to rock shox. I just lost almost a pound and a half on my bike so im not going to complain about the g2 offset. I will try it out once the trails dry a bit. It's been raining for 4 days here in ma. I'll post back how the fork works on a g2 bike and how it works in general.
    29ers are more fun!

JB1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmccrohon
    My Gary fisher cobia came with a rock shox tora sl. After the shop rebuilding it three times to no avail rock shock decided to sent me a replacement. They actually upgraded me to a 2011 recon fork which is nice. they did not have any G2 forks so I have a stangdard offset fork now. Do you think this will mess up the geometry of my bike or should I just accept it when they call me to pick it up. i'm afraid if i take it home and ride it they will say its too late and im stuck with a funky handling bike. For those of you who know g2 forks use a funky offset that isnt standard. Any info will be helpful. Tim
    WHat was wrong with your fork? I had two rebuilds on my Cobia's fork already. Mine is a 2008. What year is yours.

mtbr member
    Mine was a 2009. The air sleeve would not hold air and was actually launching the wipers up top of the stanchions. Weirdest thing. My LBS rebuilt it twice (my cost the first time) and afetr the second failure they called rock shox/sram and inquires about a swap. I am happy to have a better, lighter fork but i am concerned about a non g2 fork's performance. we'll see.
    29ers are more fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0