Choosing the geo for my next frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Choosing the geo for my next frame

I have successfully sold all of my bikes, and I am now seriously considering my next build. I want my next frame to have the right geometry, and I am looking for the "in the bike" instead of "perched atop the bike" feel. I have read somewhere that this is true about the Vassago frames, but are there others? (I haven't been able to find this in a search)

I will most likely be running a 2x9 or 2x10 setup.

Opinions?

mtbr member
    Misfit Psycles diSSent get's plenty of props for "in the bike" feel.

That being said, it might help with recommendations if you provided a location/terrain type(s), if you are leaning towards any other wants/needs with the bike, if there's a need for any suspension ..... helpful stuff like that.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Interested as well. Heard the same about vassago. Im riding a monocog 29 now and feel like part of the bike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    @AndrewTO

Misfit Psycles diSSent get's plenty of props for "in the bike" feel.
    I've been looking at the DiSSent for the last few days, but from what I can tell a 1x9 or 1x10 is all that is possible on that frame. Even then the small rings can cause chain clearance issues. If anyone has had success with 2x9 combo I'd like to know.

My riding will be XC and small drops, no all mountain needs.

I think that a Bandersnatch would work great, there do not seem to be any (large) frames available anywhere. Anyone have a nice used one to sell?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Vassago will definitely give you that feeling. I ride a Medium and love it specifically for that reason.

Looking for a Large? Check out the Black Friday thread below. Got to be someone willing to part with their new frame.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    [[email protected]]LBIkid[/B]

Looking for a Large? Check out the Black Friday thread below. Got to be someone willing to part with their new frame.
    Good, idea. I'll throw a post in over there.
    Last edited by Squatcho; 12-28-2010 at 06:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Looking at a Soma Juice frame - does the geometry of this one fit "in the bike" feel?

The bent top tube and bottom bracket drop seem to suggest so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Usually when someone says they're looking for advice on buying a bike on this forum they're told by many posters to ride sample bikes at their bike store. That's texttbook advice and a bit cliche, but I believe its appropriate here.

If your'e looking for a particular feel in a bike but don't know exactly how to achieve it yourself (and you get differing advice from internet experts) you're better off forgetting the build and just riding bikes that actually exist until you find what you want.

DIY stuff is cool but not always the key to getting the bike you end up wanting to keep.

mtbr member
    If your'e looking for a particular feel in a bike but don't know exactly how to achieve it yourself (and you get differing advice from internet experts) you're better off forgetting the build and just riding bikes that actually exist until you find what you want.
    True and solid advice. The problem that I am running into is availability. Vassago is out of stock everywhere, DiSSent - none within 2000 miles, Soma - Just found a dealer a few towns over, so I'll try my luck.

Certainly I won't spend money on a frame based on a few answers here, but it can be an important piece of the puzzle.

mtbr member

For me it does....

Quote Originally Posted by Squatcho
    Looking at a Soma Juice frame - does the geometry of this one fit "in the bike" feel?
    The bent top tube and bottom bracket drop seem to suggest so.
    and I ride a 20 inch frame. Of course others may have a different experience.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm convinced that for me the 'in the bike feel' comes from a long wheel base and especially from a long 'reach' (ETT if the seat tube angles are the same). Before switching to the 29er I had a medium 4 inch travel 26er frame with a 23.5 inch ETT and I got much of the same 'in the bike' feel on it.

I checked the Jabberwocky and it definitely has a long ETT for a small at 23.6" For reference, the small Salsa Mamasita is 22.8 and the small Niner is 23.1.

I'm assuming of course that things are proportional in the larger sizes.

Also, If you can run wide bars (26" or more) don't wory about running a short stem. 70mm is woking great on my Niner Air 9.

Members who have read this thread: 0