Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 47879394959697
Results 9,601 to 9,629 of 9629
  1. #9601
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by ASiameseCat View Post
    Dang, thanks for the insight.
    Whoa hang on, I don't know what just happened. I was goofing around on a supplier's site I've never been to and discovered this:

    ACEBIKE sell high end and price reasonable 29er Hardtail Light Carbon MTB Bicycle Frames.

    External rear brake routing on a carbon frame. How about that?

  2. #9602
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,169
    I hate internal routing for rear brake lines. Derailleur is no big deal but with brake fluid, it's a pain.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

  3. #9603
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    I hate internal routing for rear brake lines. Derailleur is no big deal but with brake fluid, it's a pain.
    I don't disagree.

    Routing my rear brake is the one and only thing I have my local mechanic do, other than mounting fat tires to oversized carbon 80mm rims. I think he secretly dreads me

  4. #9604
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    I don't disagree.

    Routing my rear brake is the one and only thing I have my local mechanic do,
    I'm the same way. Do you ever get any side eye/attitude from the LBS about bring in a chinese direct frame?
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

  5. #9605
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,121
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Whoa hang on, I don't know what just happened. I was goofing around on a supplier's site I've never been to and discovered this:

    ACEBIKE sell high end and price reasonable 29er Hardtail Light Carbon MTB Bicycle Frames.

    External rear brake routing on a carbon frame. How about that?
    How it should be! Gotta have the external brake line.

  6. #9606
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ASiameseCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Whoa hang on, I don't know what just happened. I was goofing around on a supplier's site I've never been to and discovered this:

    ACEBIKE sell high end and price reasonable 29er Hardtail Light Carbon MTB Bicycle Frames.

    External rear brake routing on a carbon frame. How about that?
    Cool, looks like that brand has another frame option with external brake routing!

  7. #9607
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Do you ever get any side eye/attitude from the LBS about bring in a chinese direct frame?
    Ha! More than just a side eye I'm kind of seen as not loyal and loyal in the same breath. My bikes are always referred to as "that bike," or "the black one". They always have to ask "where did you get this" or "are you sure it's real" (not counterfeit). I really wonder what they think when I race in their team apparel to the podium not on a bike they sell.

  8. #9608
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by ASiameseCat View Post
    Cool, looks like that brand has another frame option with external brake routing!
    So just so everybody knows, ACE is a subsidiary of Yishunbike. Of all the Chiner brands (based on what I've read), Yishun has one of the poorest customer satisfaction rates, around 20% dissatisfaction based on some polls on roadbikeforums and Alibaba/Aliexpress feedback.

    They do their own manufacturing in their own facility and I believe also manufacture for ICAN. They advertise well and make good products when they're good, but have poor quality control and bad aftersales service which leaves quite a few customers very disgruntled. I've read a few sob stories where their customer service department was unwilling to fulfill warranty requests until after being brought to the PayPal bar of justice, after which they consistently responded unprofessionally.

    P.S. This does not mean ICAN is bad, they have excellent quality control and unmatched aftersales service.

  9. #9609
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DETarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    135
    Hi all- got sucked into the rabbit hole of this thread, and getting some ideas. Stick with me...

    I have a '17 Kona Rove that I use mainly for neighborhood cruises with the family and Burly towing. Been thinking about getting something flat bar for more relaxed family rides.

    Looking at the following 2 items from BXT:
    Frame:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016...352e3c00b3k7Xh
    Fork:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BXT-...352e3c00b3k7Xh

    Lots of parts from the Rove should be transferrable- 700c wheels with 40c tires, 73mm MTB crankset, Rival 1x11 with 11-42 cassette, seat post, etc. Plus, I have a set of Guide RS take-offs I'll use for brakes. Really just need a stem, bar, and shifter to complete the build.

    Any issues that you guys can see in this plan? Hoping for a light(ish), more upright bike for light duty use.
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

  10. #9610
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    397
    Thats a great idea! Now I got sucked into it too! I like how the frame comes with different dropouts and several small parts are included. Not sure if your Rove has convertible wheels, but if you could convert to thru axle front and rear (which would mean a different fork from what you listed) that would be a pretty sweet flat bar/cross setup.
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

    FATTrailer for the kiddo

  11. #9611
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DETarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    Not sure if your Rove has convertible wheels, but if you could convert to thru axle front and rear (which would mean a different fork from what you listed) that would be a pretty sweet flat bar/cross setup.
    The hubs aren't convertible unfortunately- HED Belgium Plus rims laced to older 100/135 QR XTR hubs. But the frame looks to accommodate QR, and that's why I selected that specific fork.

    Trying to keep my costs in check and re-use parts wherever possible!
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

  12. #9612
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    Hi all- got sucked into the rabbit hole of this thread, and getting some ideas. Stick with me...

    I have a '17 Kona Rove that I use mainly for neighborhood cruises with the family and Burly towing. Been thinking about getting something flat bar for more relaxed family rides.

    Looking at the following 2 items from BXT:
    Frame:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016...352e3c00b3k7Xh
    Fork:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BXT-...352e3c00b3k7Xh

    Lots of parts from the Rove should be transferrable- 700c wheels with 40c tires, 73mm MTB crankset, Rival 1x11 with 11-42 cassette, seat post, etc. Plus, I have a set of Guide RS take-offs I'll use for brakes. Really just need a stem, bar, and shifter to complete the build.

    Any issues that you guys can see in this plan? Hoping for a light(ish), more upright bike for light duty use.
    I actually sold a Tideace frame almost just like that to a guy looking to do exactly what you're doing. It works, you may need a new bottom bracket and headset to finish the build. Hint: look on Aliexpress for cheap deals on star nut-based headsets (don't use the stock expander headsets as they tend to disengage and won't hold your steerer down worth anything). If you're getting a stem and bar, I'd get a Kalloy stem from eBay and a Tideace Aliexpress carbon bar (or similar), just don't tension bolts on anything that clamps to those bars past 5 N-m since that's how 99% of those bars break (that advice applies to any carbon bar). These cockpit items will make for a lightweight and comfortable ride and are quite affordable.

    Rival 1x11 is great, I actually run some of those components. Are you going to pair your Rival derailleur with a trigger shifter? I don't think that will work. Wait, are you doing drops or flat bars? Flat bars are cheaper in the long run bc shifters are cheaper.

    It looks for your purpose that a CX frame might actually be more suitable. Have you thought about getting a budget CX carbon frame from Aliexpress?

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017...748566553.html

    If you message the seller directly they may be able to give you quick release rear dropouts.

    You can also convert the front to quick release with a thru-axle shim.

  13. #9613
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DETarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    I actually sold a Tideace frame almost just like that to a guy looking to do exactly what you're doing. It works, you may need a new bottom bracket and headset to finish the build. Hint: look on Aliexpress for cheap deals on star nut-based headsets (don't use the stock expander headsets as they tend to disengage and won't hold your steerer down worth anything). If you're getting a stem and bar, I'd get a Kalloy stem from eBay and a Tideace Aliexpress carbon bar (or similar), just don't tension bolts on anything that clamps to those bars past 5 N-m since that's how 99% of those bars break (that advice applies to any carbon bar). These cockpit items will make for a lightweight and comfortable ride and are quite affordable.

    Rival 1x11 is great, I actually run some of those components. Are you going to pair your Rival derailleur with a trigger shifter? I don't think that will work. Wait, are you doing drops or flat bars? Flat bars are cheaper in the long run bc shifters are cheaper.
    Planning on flat bar, thats why I want 29er geometry. Drop bar bikes get funny geometry- particularly reach-when converted, otherwise Id just convert the Rove!

    SRAM MTB and road shifters/derailleurs play nice together (unlike Shimano), so I was going to get a GX 11 speed shifter.

    Thanks for the insight on the Aliexpress cockpit parts!



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

  14. #9614
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    7
    So I'm thinking of swapping a workswell frame for my specialized camber(2015). Nothing on it is stock except the cranks and BB.
    Has anyone had experience with one of these frames in a Large BSA configuration?
    I am planning on making it my NICA XC race bike and gravel/cross bike.

  15. #9615
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    164
    Any 29 frames with internal routing for dropper post?

  16. #9616
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Liternit View Post
    Any 29 frames with internal routing for dropper post?
    Yes, there are lots of options! Are you looking for a hardtail or a full-suspension frame? XC, Trail, All-Mountain? What tire/wheel size (27.5+, 29...) and what size front chainring do you want to fit up front? Any strong preferences as to geometry?

  17. #9617
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Yes, there are lots of options! Are you looking for a hardtail or a full-suspension frame? XC, Trail, All-Mountain? What tire/wheel size (27.5+, 29...) and what size front chainring do you want to fit up front? Any strong preferences as to geometry?
    Hardtail, 29", Tires 2.2/2.3, XC/Trail, more update geometry slacker HA steeper seattube,

  18. #9618
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Liternit View Post
    Any 29 frames with internal routing for dropper post?
    Yes. I ride a MB-01. I has cable routing for a front derailleur, but I run a 1X front ring, so my dropper cable is run in place of the front derailleur cable. Most all of the Chinese frames have front cable routing for a front derailleur which means there is a route from the head tube, through the down tube, and into the seat tube.

  19. #9619
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Liternit View Post
    Hardtail, 29", Tires 2.2/2.3, XC/Trail, more update geometry slacker HA steeper seattube,
    Have a look at this new model:

    2019 Newest MTB Mountain Bicycle Carbon Frame 29er Boost FM199-B-SL--深圳市碳碳运动器材有限公司

    It fits a 36T chainring, has XC-oriented geometry very similar to the Scott Scale, and is impressively lightweight and high-quality. It will run your 29x2.3 tires just fine and is definitely on the progressive end of the spectrum geometry-wise when looking at all catalog frames.

    I'm building up a frame identical to this except with 15mm longer chainstays and fits 29+ tires:

    https://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-p...e-1089063.html

    It's great quality and I shipping lead time is super fast. It should be in stock.

  20. #9620
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    550
    Hi, looking to build up a second bike to use on some smoother trails where there is lots of climbing but nothing too aggressive on the descent.

    Im aiming for an enduro-ish hardtail which will pair with a 140 front fork and hopefully a rear that will accomodate 29x2.5 or 2.6. Id prefer something in Large size that has a long-ish top tube. Does anyone have a link to a frame that would fit the bill for the requirements?

  21. #9621
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by backinmysaddle View Post
    Hi, looking to build up a second bike to use on some smoother trails where there is lots of climbing but nothing too aggressive on the descent.

    Im aiming for an enduro-ish hardtail which will pair with a 140 front fork and hopefully a rear that will accomodate 29x2.5 or 2.6. Id prefer something in Large size that has a long-ish top tube. Does anyone have a link to a frame that would fit the bill for the requirements?
    I'm not sure why you'd want that much front travel if you're looking for efficient climbing and mild descending. Wouldn't a Fox 34 and 120mm travel fit your needs better?

    Thing is, there aren't a lot of "enduro-ish" hardtails designed around that much front travel let alone catalog carbon frames. I'm not personally aware of any. You can always throw a longer fork on a hardtail frame but then you'll get a slacker head tube angle and even less efficient climbing.

    I'd recommend getting a Trail-oriented hardtail and slapping a 120mm travel fork on there.

  22. #9622
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    I'm not sure why you'd want that much front travel if you're looking for efficient climbing and mild descending. Wouldn't a Fox 34 and 120mm travel fit your needs better?

    Thing is, there aren't a lot of "enduro-ish" hardtails designed around that much front travel let alone catalog carbon frames. I'm not personally aware of any. You can always throw a longer fork on a hardtail frame but then you'll get a slacker head tube angle and even less efficient climbing.

    I'd recommend getting a Trail-oriented hardtail and slapping a 120mm travel fork on there.
    Nukeproof has been making these frames for 2-3 years. Guess Ill just buy one of them, not carbon but at $399 for the 2019 model I can deal. I was curious if rhe chinese companies had spotted these and made anything like it.

    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod170324

  23. #9623
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by backinmysaddle View Post
    Nukeproof has been making these frames for 2-3 years. Guess Ill just buy one of them, not carbon but at $399 for the 2019 model I can deal. I was curious if rhe chinese companies had spotted these and made anything like it.

    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod170324
    Yeah, I know there's stuff out there like you describe, but I can't think of one Chiner hardtail that has similar geometry from the dozen+ companies I'm familiar with. You could definitely get a custom-made Ti frame for under $800, but then you might as well just go get a Nukeproof in terms of weight vs. cost.

  24. #9624
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,778
    re running a QR rear axle: my kids BXT came with replaceable dropouts, one for QR and one set for thru axle. I started the build with QR, but the dropouts are thicker/wider than my other bikes, and it would have required a longer QR skewer, - which is not impossible to find and I think would have worked fine. The wheels we used have Hope Evo2 hubs, so it was easier to convert to through-axle. - My kid is still really happy with the BXT, it turned out really great (see my posts way above from a few months ago).
    The two BXT seatposts we're running have been perfect, and I did put a set of BXT bars on an old Klein 26er, I haven't ridden it hard yet, but it seems very solid so far.

    I wouldn't be surprised if several frame brands have very similar 'thick' dropouts.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

  25. #9625
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,145
    Quote Originally Posted by backinmysaddle View Post
    Hi, looking to build up a second bike to use on some smoother trails where there is lots of climbing but nothing too aggressive on the descent.

    Im aiming for an enduro-ish hardtail which will pair with a 140 front fork and hopefully a rear that will accomodate 29x2.5 or 2.6. Id prefer something in Large size that has a long-ish top tube. Does anyone have a link to a frame that would fit the bill for the requirements?
    You are in the wrong thread. Unlikley the Chinese will make an AM HT anytime soon because everything I've seen from them is quite dated.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  26. #9626
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,880
    Yeah, they're real responsive. I'll send an email, "Have you considered making an updated frame with this geo?" They'll reply, "Sorry sir we don't make a frame like that" lol.

  27. #9627
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    You are in the wrong thread. Unlikley the Chinese will make an AM HT anytime soon because everything I've seen from them is quite dated.
    I don't completely disagree, but this is changing. There are a few manufacturers who have recruited designers in touch with recent trends in terms of reach, HTA, and frame weights. There are several fresh full-suspension designs that have either arrived or are soon to arrive that are not dated at all.

    As more and more big-brand designers are snatched by factories you'll see more and more progression directly from factory and catalog offerings.

  28. #9628
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    You are in the wrong thread. Unlikley the Chinese will make an AM HT anytime soon because everything I've seen from them is quite dated.
    I dunno, seems like I am in the right thread, I did get my answer after all ;-)

    I have watched as the chinese rim tech has ramped up to be on par with the same wheel sets being sold here for 2-3x the price, including things like ranges of rim width to map to wider tire sizes. So I was just curious if the companies had done this for frames, hard tails in particular.

    The nukeproof frame is a good option, but it seems heavier than needed, so even built up with carbon wheels, etc it is never going to be as light as a carbon frame would be. And at $399 it seems like a (lighter) chinese carbon frame could be made at the same price point.

  29. #9629
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1
    So cool, dude. Do you have a riding feedback? Stiff?

Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 47879394959697

Members who have read this thread: 732

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.