Cheap 700c tires (Kenda Kross)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheap 700c tires (Kenda Kross)

I was browsing Nashbars 72 hour sale last night and found some Kenda Kross 700x40's for $3.99ea so I grabbed a couple. I have a road bike, but sometimes like to ride my mtb on rail trails and towpaths after work. Figured these were cheap enough and would do the job.

I just checked the price today and it went up to $4.99ea, still not a bad deal if you ask me!

Kenda Kross 700x40

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a set on my fixie (Monocog 29er frame) and they work fine. I built up a bike a while ago that I sold that had the 26" version, and those worked as well. I've been really happy with Nashbar's discount tires.

mtbr member
    I bought a set a while back as well. One of the tires I had problems rolling off the rim. Switched out wheels and still had the problem. The other tire worked great. Perhaps a little hit or miss?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hmm. Maybe the 700c version is better. I had a set on my 26" MTB for 50-50 trail and road riding. I hated 'em. Worst of both worlds. In the future, I'd go with a well treaded touring tire. But for 3 bucks. That's pretty good for getting from point A to point B, if that's all you need.

mtbr member
    After reading Glowboy's review, I decided to buy some too:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ar#post6538243

I hope to have mine in a few days. I want a fast rolling, puncture resistant tire that can also handle some dirt. Obviously you cant make one tire do everything great, but Im going to see if this can be a best compromise for commuting/light offroad. I'll report back.

Bedwards Of The West
    Next year's commuting tires. Thanks for the heads up.

I hope I can cram them under the fenders on my cross bike. I've run 35's under the fenders, but never 40's. These will make the 'cross bike a rail-trail bomber.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Google up Pyramid Khan 700x50. Has a taller sidewall and wider too I believe. (think it's made by Kenda). A little more than 5 bucks though.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    I have a pair of these. I find them to be heavy and slow rolling, and I'm normally not very picky about tires.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy
    I have a pair of these. I find them to be heavy and slow rolling, and I'm normally not very picky about tires.
    Which ones? the Pyramid Khans? are the sidewalls tall like a regular mtb tire?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Here's my review after my first ride today. I am doing an experiment to see if I can make a dual sport 29er bike that can handle commuting and XC. To clarify, these are the Kenda Kross Plus from Nashbar for $5 a tire, 700x40 size.

My first impression was that the tires are cheaply made. Like department store cheap, where you spin the wheel and the casing is not perfectly round. I dont like the white stripe on the sidewalls. They were difficult to mount, but then again all wirebeads are harder than folding tires.

I put them on and went for a ride on the local trail that has a large variety: sand, mud, roots, solid rock, flowing singletrack, and tight singletrack, even some small logs and such. I put them at 50psi. Holy crap, they roll FAST! (I guess they should since they are like a road tire with side knobs. I could not believe how fast they were on the trail.

They gripped better than I expected, but there was some slippage in sandy/muddy corners where a full knobby would have held. For a dual purpose tire, I was pretty happy with their offroad traction, but they dont inspire confidence.

I thought about airing them down to 40psi, but was worried about a pinch flat, so I didnt.

The only other drawback of these tires is if you're on the road and going fast, you won't want to lean the bike over and put it on the side knobs. If you're on the trail, this would work great.

I ended up leaving the tire on the front, but putting my big knobby on the back. I really liked this setup, which gave me traction on the back but the speed of the front tire. Since I have a hardtail, I like the big tire in back to smooth out some bumps. I figured you can air it up to make it roll faster (if you're riding more road, less trail), or air it down if you need more traction (more trail, less road). I really liked the Kenda Kross up front. This setup looks like hell, but it worked great.

Members who have read this thread: 0