CURB HUCK!!!!!!
    May 2006
    nice bike man
    I see that xt crankset dropped an entire pound off the bike, wow
    enjoy
    Kona Coiler

mtbr member
    A couple for Steve (at his request)

...unfortunately, I cannot ride this setup because the steerer isn't long enough on the manitou

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Bad Ass!!!!

BAD - ASS!!!

Me likey.

What's the BB height with this setup?

Aqua.

PS Speaking of Bad ass...did I tell you guys about my bud's run in with a cactus this weekend?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (272.2 KB, 3226 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (190.1 KB, 3187 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.JPG (189.3 KB, 3161 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.JPG (146.6 KB, 3149 views)
    • File Type: jpg 11.JPG (196.1 KB, 3264 views)
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    BB was 13"

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Very Nice! Indeed!

jncarpenter:

Great ride and Craftsmanship! True Astistry put into motion!

What geraing are you using? Do you think a 26 inch rear wheel would be to your benifit? 69er set up? Just wondering...

Good luck with her...

mtbr member
    OK, I think I have it pretty dialed at this point. The 50mm stem ended up being just a tad short, but the 70mm stem coupled with the setback moots post (I just received back) has the cockpit dialed.

Nothing left to do but just ride it!!! A fantastic riding bicycle thus far.

mtbr member
    sweet as a nut.

all balanced etc...ace. tempted...
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member
    Thanks man! I am seriously very stoked about this bike. After spending over a month on it, it is a very fun bike for sure. I highly recommend Fred (Wolfhound), his craftmanship & customer service are at the top of the current market (IMHO).

Not smart enough to shift
    Jncarpenter, I'm in love with this bike. I have been in love with Jeff's bikes since I saw his personal ride. I'm in the process of saving my pennies for a ride very similar, but with a little different #'s and by Curtlo (I just can't afford a wolfhound). I have been talking with Doug at Curtlo about this bike and he is excited about it. I was wondering how you liked riding the rigid on there? I have a Salsa El Mariachi with a reba and I put the rigid back on the other day for a jarring ride. I want a rigid, but I like to play and on rolling drops and little jumps I was all over the place on the rigid. Do you ever regret having a rigid in place of a po-go on the front? Let me know as I am beating myself up over this. I was thinking of the Maverick single crown fork, but I have heard mixed reviews on it. Thanks, and again...beautiful bike.

Andy

mtbr member
    Who is Jeff? You mean Fred?

I love riding a rigid bike. It may not be the most compliant ride, but becuz it is super stiff...it tracks wonderfully & handles great for a rigid bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Bummer the minute wouldn't fit due to steerer length issues. Have you tried the WB fork on it ? Really interested to see you riding impressions with some squish up front with this geometry. I know the WB forks don't have as much offset a your rigid fork, but I heard its more than the reba (42 or 45 for WB vs 39 for reba???)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoutside
    Bummer the minute wouldn't fit due to steerer length issues. Have you tried the WB fork on it ? Really interested to see you riding impressions with some squish up front with this geometry. I know the WB forks don't have as much offset a your rigid fork, but I heard its more than the reba (42 or 45 for WB vs 39 for reba???)
    It's not likely that I'll run suspension on this bike. I stuck the Manitou on there just for a friend to look at....nothing else. The geometry was designed for full rigid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    So how much side to side tire clearance is there?
    Think you could run a 26"X3.0" for snow days?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCookie
    So how much side to side tire clearance is there?
    Think you could run a 26"X3.0" for snow days?
    The thought had crossed my mind....tho I think it would be tight. Got a spare 26" x 3.0" for me to try out?

mtbr member
    Since I am rehab'ing the shoulder for a second time....I found something to do to kill some time.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

J:

Looks like some mighty fine shoulder rehab exercises that produced a shiny thing! Hope the shoulder gets better quickly or else I can see many more shiny things coming forth...LOL!

NICE!

mtbr member
    ...there's more truth there than you know

mtbr member
    Just found this thread and am really impressed with the craftmanship that went into making your frame. The layout of the shop is pretty cool too - love the way everything is organized down to the last square inch of space. It looks like the shop is set up in a mobile trailer (toolbox bolted to wall, tie downs in floor). I'm curious, why does Wolfhound have a mobile operaton?

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by biker_steve
    I'm curious, why does Wolfhound have a mobile operaton?

WolfmanFred is in a witness protection program.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Since today is nearly the halfway point (8 weeks) in the recovery process for my second shoulder surgery this year, I decided to celebrate with a fresh picture of the Wolf in it's current winter splendor

...so Steve, how long of a wait on yours?

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    I decided to celebrate with a fresh picture of the Wolf in it's current winter splendor
    Damn that's nice.

biker steve: Fred's busy right now getting ready for the hand-built bicycle show. He is currently in La Grande Ore. so I'll answer on his behalf. He splits his time between the Ashland area and his parents place in La Grande. He got the trailer and set up the shop inside when he lived in La Grande for a while... The trailer hasn't moved from the Ashland area for a long time now, but it was his idea since he doesn't own a place, that he would put it in the trailer if he needed to move. It has worked out quite well for him.

Hope I answered right Fred! This bike in this thread is on my wishlist when I get myself out of the poor-house ya know...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Damn that's nice.

biker steve: Fred's busy right now getting ready for the hand-built bicycle show. He is currently in La Grande Ore. so I'll answer on his behalf. He splits his time between the Ashland area and his parents place in La Grande. He got the trailer and set up the shop inside when he lived in La Grande for a while... The trailer hasn't moved from the Ashland area for a long time now, but it was his idea since he doesn't own a place, that he would put it in the trailer if he needed to move. It has worked out quite well for him.

Hope I answered right Fred! This bike in this thread is on my wishlist when I get myself out of the poor-house ya know...
    Cool. I figured he must have set it up like that because he spends time in multiple locations, kind of a nomadic framebuilder/artist. I know a guy who runs a mobile bike repair business out of a Chevy box truck, but to fit everything one needs to build custom frames in a cargo trailer is pretty impressive.

Damn that's nice.
    ...so Steve, how long of a wait on yours?
    For now, I will have to live vicariously. I'm in the poor-house too.

Jan 2008
    I am currently getting ready to go wolfhound. Trying to figure out the geometry seems a bit confusing. How did you decide this would work for you? Was there other bikes that were similar in someways? Where does a guy start?

Maro1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldognz
    I am currently getting ready to go wolfhound. Trying to figure out the geometry seems a bit confusing. How did you decide this would work for you? Was there other bikes that were similar in someways? Where does a guy start?

Maro1
    If you really have no idea what you need for geometry, just describe your riding style to Fred & let him set you up. He is more than capable in developing the geometry to suit your needs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's one of my favorite bikes. It's much more than "just another rigid SS 29er". I have lots of pics of it saved in my "Bad Ass Big Wheels" folder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wow, just stumbled across this thread, absolutely beautiful bike! Craftsmanship is unreal!

Any instructions/suggestions for stripping and shining your XT's? Love how they turned out.

Matt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Wow, just stumbled across this thread, absolutely beautiful bike! Craftsmanship is unreal!

Any instructions/suggestions for stripping and shining your XT's? Love how they turned out.

Matt
    There are a few threads on here about how to do it, very easily done...imho. Just get some Heavy Duty "Easy Off" oven cleaner. Spray on & wait 15 minutes. I used tooth brush to remove the anodizing evenly & thoroughly (wear latex gloves when handling them!!!!). Rinse & repeat if necessary. Then I simply used steel wool & Mother's Mag polish to shine them up. The whole job took me roughly an hour.

Jan 2008
    Thats great to know! it was your bike on his website that really hooked me. I may be using a few of your design elements in the oe he creates for me. Hope you don't mind

Maro1

mtbr member
    What did you have in mind?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There are a few threads on here about how to do it, very easily done...imho. Just get some Heavy Duty "Easy Off" oven cleaner. Spray on & wait 15 minutes. I used tooth brush to remove the anodizing evenly & thoroughly (wear latex gloves when handling them!!!!). Rinse & repeat if necessary. Then I simply used steel wool & Mother's Mag polish to shine them up. The whole job took me roughly an hour.
    Excellent! I got a whole container of aircraft paint remover, stripping an old frame down. Sounds like a great project for tomorrow (rain). Any clearcoat over?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    man i have to say this. i know what i like and oh boy do i like that bike.
    before this thread i thought all ss's and 29's were dull as but that is just gorgeous. i'm glad it rides as well as it looks!

HTFU and Ride
    sick ride man, i like that better than the jones stuff! crazy sweet
    Winter is coming.

Turner Homer
    That bike is just too sexy, lost of words...I hope I could afford to build bikes like that some day, or even learn to build the frames form the ground up myself someday.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattP.
    Excellent! I got a whole container of aircraft paint remover, stripping an old frame down. Sounds like a great project for tomorrow (rain). Any clearcoat over?
    If you're working with aluminum...I would recommend against it. The times I have attempted to protect a polished alu bike part/ frame with clear coat...it has turned out badly. The clear didn't seem to stick very well to the polished metal and what did stick seemed to turn yellow. IMHO, you're better off just hitting it up with some polish once a year if need be