Central Europe on a 29er- Mtbr.com
    cory www.ridelugged.com
    Nov 2005

We the people ... Central Europe on a 29er

So I am living in Prague these days with my Moots Mooto-X Ybb and my wife.

I am looking for good trails to ride and other 29er folks to play with.
    Is there anyone out there in Prague?
    How about Vienna? Anyone know the trails there? I'll be there next week and will definitely be with my bike.

Any hook-ups or beta would be awesome.
    Thanks.
    -Cory

mtbr member

Vienna

Check out:
    www.mtbwienerwald.at

The "Strecken Nach Mass" Link will show you several routes.

Hope this helps,
    Marty

cory www.ridelugged.com
    Nov 2005

hmm...

with my rudimentary german, it looked to me like that was pretty much paved and gravel paths only.
    but it does look like a slew of trails, in the area, so we'll see.
    thanks though.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5504b

How about Vienna? Anyone know the trails there? I'll be there next week and will definitely be with my bike.

Thanks.
    -Cory
    I can't help you with trails in Prague, but I lived and rode in Vienna for about a dozen years. In the 19th District on Salmansdorfer Strasse, the trailheads to a vast network of trails can be found across the street from the American International School. Just go up one of those trailheads and avoid any trail that has a picture of a bike with a red circle around it (those trails are off limit to bikes).

Below is a map of where you need to go in Vienna for those trailheads to the Vienna Woods. Bus 35A's last stop gets you there if you don't want to ride all the way up there. And the AIS mark on the map (American International School) is where there are a half dozen or so trail entry points that get you going up the hill. Some are steeper than others, but they all climb up to the same series of main trails that take you along a ridge. You can go east or west from there on the ridge and choose your direction. Mountain bike specific maps are available at the bike shops in Vienna. I used to live at the top of this map on a little street called Maulbertschgasse. You can also go south from the AIS and follow the paved bike path and take some trails on the left or on the right of the main highway. It's almost an endless system of trails that take you up and down through the Vienna Woods. These are hiking trails that were established centuries ago and the system is quite a network. I never used a map when I lived there, but just learned where the trails would take me and a general sense of direction always got me back to town.

Have fun, it's great riding in those parts. You'll find a nice mix of fire roads, singletrack, hiking/biking trails and sometimes will have to get from section to section on some sections of pavement as you work your way through the Vienna Woods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100% recycled

Thanks.
    -Cory
    I lived in Prague for 6 months in 2005- had 3 cars stolen but they caught the guys/girls. Check out the expat community, there may be some guys interested in riding. They drink every couple of weeks together. http://www.expats.cz/. Just saw your post. I only rode the roads while I was there, but there are plenty of parks in and around town, and mtbing is pretty big so you should be okay.

Or you can go down to VK Slavia rowing club on Nabrezni, where the head coach is a young czech guy called Pepa Luks (Luksch). He can speak english and can tell you where some good rides are.

100% recycled
    http://www.canza.cz/ is the drinking group.

mtbr member
    with my rudimentary german, it looked to me like that was pretty much paved and gravel paths only.
    but it does look like a slew of trails, in the area, so we'll see.
    thanks though.
    Basically BruceBrown nailed it. I was there a month ago in Salmansdorf. There are a ton of trails and a lot of the wider gravel trails actually had a singletrack trail running parallel to it which sometimes snaked off into the woods for a bit before joining back up to the gravel path. There were faded gold arrows spray painted on trees that marked a trail, probably not quit legal since it did not have the official markers on it.

cory www.ridelugged.com
    Nov 2005

sweet

thanks for the info.
    I'll take you all up on it and report back.
    -cory

(29er folk are good folk!)

mtbr member
    Where do you live in Prague? I may take you for a ride and show you some trails.
    I'm not on a 29er (yet) though.

cory www.ridelugged.com
    Nov 2005
    Pecka,
    I live in Nusle, náměstí Bratří Synků.
    hmm...
    I'll be back in Praha from Vienna after Monday, and would love to go for a ride.
    I have gotten to know some great fun trails around Točná, Komořany, and Zbraslav. And would love to be shown some new ones.

sned me an email and we can meet up and go for a ride.
    corywadebenson (at) gmail.com

mtbr member
    I get the strange feeling that all this banter may be the set-up for "Hostel 3."
    i am a human derailleur

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennytalia
    I get the strange feeling that all this banter may be the set-up for "Hostel 3."
    Looking at your avatar I can see it can so much worse.
    BTW Hostel takes place in Slovakia which is the worse part of former CS.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    I'm in Munich and there's a 29'er online community here in Central Europe over at twentyniner.ch if you want to check it out. The folks over they really don't care what language you speak... my Deutsche isn't great and we almost all go back/forth between languages.

Not sure when or if I'll make it down toward Prague at any point, but if you're ever up this direction give me a shout via email and we can hook up for a ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0