centerlock hub and rotor question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

centerlock hub and rotor question

im looking to buy a second set of wheels for my ferrous 29er to set up with some urban tires for my monday-friday riding. i found a wheelset for a good price but it has centerlock hubs. will centerlock rotors match up with my bb7 calipers without having to change anything ?

or

will i have to adjust/shim,pull my hair out with my calipers every time i do a wheel change. would i be better off running centerlock adapters and 6 bolt rotors? or should i wait for another deal on a non centerlock wheelset?

currently im running 160 roundagons with my bb7s( factory setup). im looking for something thats going to be a simple swap every time i want to change tires out.

need some guidance, thanks
    '08 ferrous 29er, '09 reba race, poploc adjust, thud buster, ism adamo peak( this thing rocks), odi ruffians.

Never trust a fart
    Avid makes centerlock rotors now. Just pick up a set of them and that will solve all your compatibility questions. But yes, you can use center lock rotors.

There is a sticky in the Brake Forum at the top of the page dealing with nothing but centerlock compatibility.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=286460

As far as making caliper adjustments, if you are switching between 2 different wheel sets, then you might have to readjust the caliper positioning each time you switch wheels. But if using the same wheel set all the time and just changing tires, then no you should not have to keep making caliper adjustments. As long as you replicate the same amount of quick release tension, there should be zero issues.

mtbr member
    Centerlock rotor will not be positioned any different to 6 bolt rotors. The problem however is that different make hubs will have slightly different tolerances and you may well have adjustment problems. This could also be the problem using two diifferent brands of 6 bolt hubs. I use a centerlock rotor successfully with BB7 calipers on one bike. That doesn't mean that if I shift wheels to another bike it will instantly fit without adjustment.

You have more chance of success if both sets of hubs are the same.

The problem would also be less pronounced if you had hydraulic brakes as hydraulics self adjust.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Derailleurless
    It's not too big a problem to contend with.

You'll want to get as close a possible using rotor shims on the 6-bolt hub. If it's the Centerlock rotor that needs spacing out, I don't know of any shims, but you can adjust the axle on the 6-bolt hub to inset the rotor.

With the BB7s, it's most important both rotors spin in the same plane (which they will). A little lateral placement imprecision is OK.

Worst case scenario may involve a click of each pad adjustment knob, but even that shouldn't be necessary if you do your shims and spacers correctly.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mydixiwrecked00
    im looking to buy a second set of wheels for my ferrous 29er to set up with some urban tires for my monday-friday riding. i found a wheelset for a good price but it has centerlock hubs. will centerlock rotors match up with my bb7 calipers without having to change anything ?

or

will i have to adjust/shim,pull my hair out with my calipers every time i do a wheel change. would i be better off running centerlock adapters and 6 bolt rotors? or should i wait for another deal on a non centerlock wheelset?

currently im running 160 roundagons with my bb7s( factory setup). im looking for something thats going to be a simple swap every time i want to change tires out.

need some guidance, thanks
    Get a 6-bolt rotor adaptor for the hub from DT Swiss or Shimano.

BB7s are dead easy to make minor adjustments for different wheel sets. I switch between 3-4 wheelsets (6-bolt and Centerlock hubs) and never need to do more than move the pad adjustor knobs a click or two.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Get a 6-bolt rotor adaptor for the hub from DT Swiss or Shimano.

BB7s are dead easy to make minor adjustments for different wheel sets. I switch between 3-4 wheelsets (6-bolt and Centerlock hubs) and never need to do more than move the pad adjustor knobs a click or two.
    I don't agree about the 6 bolt adaptors if he's getting centerlock hubs. Rather get a set of Avid centerlock discs.

But yes, you are right it should be relatively easy to adjust the pads with a click or two.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

CB2
    Jam Econo

That's one of the things I love about bb7's...

you're just a click or two a.way from well adjusted brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    they are dt swiss onyx hubs in basic wtb wheels with dt 14g spokes.
    are these a stronger wheelset then my factory bontrager race wheels that came on my ferrous?
    '08 ferrous 29er, '09 reba race, poploc adjust, thud buster, ism adamo peak( this thing rocks), odi ruffians.

Members who have read this thread: 0