carbon or alu handlebar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

carbon or alu handlebar

trying to find a long flat 25.4 [clamp] handlebar have allways road aluminum what are the ride quality differences between alum and carbon? thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've never noticed a ride quality difference until I began riding a rigid fork. Now I find carbon to be a definite advantage. Definitely smoothes out the ride over small chatter.

On suspension, I don't see much of a difference. And there are much wider AL flat bars out there than carbon flat bars. I've been running low-rise carbons to find the width I want.

Rider and Wrench
    AgentX is right on- Carbon flats are tough to find wider than 660 mm in width (Salsa Pro moto's) but there are a number of low rise Carbon bars ~685mm or so wide- I guess bar "width" is a fairly relative thing so what are you looking for? Right now I cannot see myself using anything wider than 27 to 28 inches who know in the future.

Aslo as AgentX mentioned there is not a huge difference on a bike with front suspension but on my rigid the carbon does offer more comfort- otherwise it is a bit lighter- thist said I would stick with aproven Bar that is not "race" light...aka delicate!
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Members who have read this thread: 0